• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txgolfer45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Dallas
    I was at the Dallas Market Hall gun show this morning intending to sell a Glock 26. Not a minute after I enter the show, a guy comes up to me asking about the Glock and price. I told him my price and he countered with an offer about $25 less than my asking price. Since I'd just gotten there, I thought I'd check out other potential buyers. I stopped to show the Glock to my buddy and the guy comes up to me again wanting to buy it and waving a stack of bills. I asked if he had a CHL or was willing for me to write down his name and driver's license. He backed away and said he would buy something else. So, I continued into the show.

As I was leaving, I see 10 - 11 Dallas Police squad cars in the parking lot together. Being curious, I look over to see what was happening and peeked in the back seat of one of the squad cars and there is the guy in the back handcuffed.
    shocker.gif

Glad I didn't sell to him.
    wink.gif

Trust your first impressions!!!!
    Target Sports

txgolfer45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Dallas
    Assumed he had done something illegal. Whether ineligible or stole something while at the show, either way, glad i didn't sell to him.

sgtjab

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    dallas
    Can you imagine if you did, the gun would have come back to you (assuming you got it from an FFL) Who cares what he did wrong it would have been less then good for you!

sgtjab

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    dallas
    The guy in the back seat would have had TXGOLFERS gun with him. I would think the officers would trace or what ever they do that then he would have had to spend time going over what happened with the transaction etc. I am not implying he would have been in trouble just that it would have taken his time and while he would have been ok selling the gun he still would have to think about what happened the what if's etc.

I was actually agreeing with his "trust youself"
    http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/members/txgolfer45.html

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    The guy in the back seat would have had TXGOLFERS gun with him. I would think the officers would trace or what ever they do that then he would have had to spend time going over what happened with the transaction etc.

The only time I was part of a trace the call with the tracing center was less than 10 seconds. No big deal.

I saw that guy too. Not sure what he did. I am going to guess he was a thief, as DPD is not likely to even know what the federal law is on prohibited persons.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    The guy in the back seat would have had TXGOLFERS gun with him. I would think the officers would trace or what ever they do that then he would have had to spend time going over what happened with the transaction etc.
    Unless they suspected an illegal sale, why would they "trace" the gun?

I just don't get the whole "being afraid to do something legal" thing.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Sounds as if your decision not to sell to him was wise. Pretty sure the handcuffed actor in the rear seat of the PD car wasn't just a jaywakler. You did good !!!

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Scott, talk about too close for comfort. Way to follow your gut and wait. Even if "shopping around" was the motivation for deciding not to sell to the guy.

30+GSXR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    shewww - glad you help out on the guy. Still wondering what he did to get the new bracelets.

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    Unless they suspected an illegal sale, why would they "trace" the gun?

I just don't get the whole "being afraid to do something legal" thing.

If the guy was arrested and had the gun, they would trace it first to determine if it was stolen. That would be SOP. If it wasn't stolen, they would attempt to find the owner via a trace so as to determine if maybe it was stolen, but is unreported. If the guy was a felon, the seller runs the potential risk of arrest for selling a firearm to a felon.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    If the guy was arrested and had the gun, they would trace it first to determine if it was stolen. That would be SOP. If it wasn't stolen, they would attempt to find the owner via a trace so as to determine if maybe it was stolen, but is unreported. If the guy was a felon, the seller runs the potential risk of arrest for selling a firearm to a felon.

Good thoughts... Definitely good that he trusted his gut... And our dads told us our dog was our best friend... Seems like our guts just got bumped up the list...

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas

I'm going with TX on the whole scared to do something that's legal angle.

How does the seller risk being arrested if he 1) didn't know he was a felon 2) how would they know to look for him as the seller. It's not illegal to sell a gun and we don't have a registration so the chance of finding the seller or previous owner(s) is slim to none, on a good day.

Assuming it was for an illegal purchase or possession of a handgun, assumed felon goes to jail, trace for gun being stolen, nothing comes up, it goes in a box in a store room.

txgolfer45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Dallas
    I'm going with TX on the whole scared to do something that's legal angle.

How does the seller risk being arrested if he 1) didn't know he was a felon 2) how would they know to look for him as the seller. It's not illegal to sell a gun and we don't have a registration so the chance of finding the seller or previous owner(s) is slim to none, on a good day.

Assuming it was for an illegal purchase or possession of a handgun, assumed felon goes to jail, trace for gun being stolen, nothing comes up, it goes in a box in a store room.

Agree. I asked to see his TX DL or CHL and he declined. Sale didn't go forward. Pretty simple.

I've purchased a couple of handguns FTF. Seller asked if I was a CHL holder and I said yes. That was all he needed.

Outbreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    He might have been a law abiding citizen in the wrong place at the wrong time. Maybe he approached someone else who got spooked and ran to the cops. Or maybe the last missing piece of his doomsday device is a Glock 26. Who knows? Not everyone who is arrested is guilty. In fact, none is, until they are convicted by a jury of their peers.

I have never run these little pseudo background checks on people when I am trying to sell a gun at a show. The fact that someone has a driver's license with a long number and an address tells me nothing. Assuming they look to be of age (I wouldn't sell to a minor, and would card someone to make sure they're 18), a proper wad of cash and a handshake is all I need.

Similarly, if I wanted to buy a gun and the seller wanted to WRITE DOWN my name and address from my DL, I'd tell him that's none of his business and take my money elsewhere.

ETA: Obviously, none of this applies to sales involving an FFL; I reluctantly, but honestly, fill out the 4473 every time I deal with an FFL.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    If the guy was arrested and had the gun, they would trace it first to determine if it was stolen. That would be SOP. If it wasn't stolen, they would attempt to find the owner via a trace so as to determine if maybe it was stolen, but is unreported.
    Negative. Unless the firearm is believed to be involved in a crime no trace will be run.
    If the guy was a felon, the seller runs the potential risk of arrest for selling a firearm to a felon.
    Only if he knew or had reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom