• ...and so much more!
  • navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Is anyone here a member of this club, or shot there?

About a year ago, I put myself on the waiting list for a membership, at which time there were 350~ people ahead of me. As I under stand it, they have a max number of members by charter, and new members are only allowed when some leave. Well surprise surprise, I received an email saying my name was up, and I can join in June if I still want to. So I'm just looking for a little info if anyone can help.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    I shoot Bullseye matches there the first Sunday of each month, except July. Very nice club, good facilities. They've been upgrading ther berms so it's pretty much impossible to put a round outside the impact area. I know a couple of guys that are on the Board of Directors; very responsible and safe.

malladus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Houston-Dallas
    What you want to know about the DPC, I just joined in January. I've been shooting the 3rd and 4th Sunday steel matches now since October of last year.

In general the club rules are pretty simple.

(1) Handguns of approved calibre only
    (2) no -center fire rifles of any kind
    (3) .22 rifles okay
    (4) No muzzles above the dirt berm (so no tactical reloads with the gun pointed at an up angle
    (5) First shooter to a bay "owns" the bay until they leave
    (6) Rapid fire, move and shoot, etc. okay
    (7) no full auto
    (8) can bring guests (need to sign range card) and they recommend no more then two or three-they must be LOS to you at all times

And that is pretty much it

You get unlimited access to the range during no-match times
    $5 off match fees
    Shooting from sun-up to sun-down
    and no that the PD has their own range there, they don't shut the range down for their training.

Club has:

5 tactical bays
    100 yard .22 range, but if no-one is shooting on it you can set up in front of the line at shorter distance to work pistol or rifle as close as you want
    25/50 yard bullseye range
    airgun in door range
    50 yard airgun outdoor range

Club offers CHL classes and renewels, NRA classes. We have a 4-H group (CMP member), and a junior air rifle league for kids (something like $65/year and gets then use of guns, pellets, targets and really good coaches).

The club runs monthly:
    2 steel matches
    Personnel protection (IDPA style)
    Tactical match (USPA/IDPA hybrid)
    .22 tactical match (uses .22 conversion ARs mostly)
    shotgun match (only time shotguns are allowed on the range).
    2 Tuesday not Tactical matches (IDPA but with steel) - summer only
    and a few others I probably am forgetting.

THe shooters in the club range from old to young, High speed low drag to high drag low speed. Pretty goood bunch of people.

As I am experience some CHANGE at the moment, I get alot of free time on the weekdays to shoot. And the range is pretty empty during the day. Weekends its a little busier after matches, but I've never had to wait for a bay or place on the line.

What else you want to know?

malladus

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    thanks for the details malladus and Bullseye. I think I'd need some instruction or at least training advice before getting into the competitons, but that sounds like a lot of fun. Right now, I don't have much free time during the week, so either evenings or week ends would be when I would get a chance to use the range. Are the competitions mostly on Saturday, leaving the practice bays open on Sunday?

malladus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Houston-Dallas
    Most competitions are on the weekends, I think more sundays then saturdays, but they typically wrap up after 2 at the latest. During the matches there is no limit on using the portions of the range not being used for the matches. Tpyically they use the tactical bays and the rifle range for a longer stage, but the bullseye range is usually always free. Its got 20 or so stations so no issues getting a spot there unless they are running a bullseye match.

The club has a supply of target stands and using some 1x2s in them for stapling targets too, there are also moveable steel gongs in the tactical bays and some little steel hanging goings on the rifle range. The club also has a supply of targets that you can purchase (honor system) for use if you don't bring your own.

As for practice, depends on which match I guess. All the matches have a novice class and as long as you have the gear and safety mindsets it doesn't matter what skill level you are. The 3rd Sunday steel match is probably one of the easiest to start off in. Shoot novice (start from low ready so no drawing). 5 to 6 plates to shoot at so no mag changes during each run. Most the shooters are real friendly and more then willing to offer coaching or other advice. Then as you get a feel for it, you can pick up the gear you want or start using the rest of your rig.

You also can just come out and watch the matches for free.

malladus

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom