• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLDVET

Well-Known
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I bought another S&W Model 66 yesterday. This one is a Dallas Police Department 1881-1981 Commemorative revolver. It is a 6" stainless model. S&W Wesson tells me the gun was produced in 1982 at the request of the Dallas Police Association. They could not give me any other information. They recommended I contact the S&W Archives Department to get a historical letter on the gun. I am curious as to the gun's history, but not $50 curious. I know there are several police officers on this site. Do any of you have any information about this gun? Things like how many were made and were active police officers the only ones permitted to order one of these guns. I have three Model 66 (no dash) revolvers all made in the early 70's with the 4" barrel. I really didn't need another Model 66, but I found the DPD Commemorative revolver intriguing.
    Capitol Armory ad

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    May 25, 2009
    I thought the forum rules required you to post pictures of stuff like this?

I can't help, but if I were in your shoes, I'd start here DPA Contact

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    Didn't have a picture at the time of the post. I guess I could post a few pictures if anyone is interested. Mostly just looking for some first hand information on the firearm. Contacted the DPA, but the fellow who has the info has been out of the office. I have been a 1911 guy for over 45 years. I made the mistake of buying an old Colt Official Police Model back during the summer because I was impressed by the fit and finish. During the months of August and September I purchased 8 older (pinned and recessed) S&W revolvers. I am hooked on these old wheel guns. Besides, retrieving my brass after shooting the revolvers is much easier than after shooting my 1911s. Along with the DPD revolver, I purchased a Model 29 (no dash) from 1959. It has the 3 1/2" barrel. Looking forward to getting both to the range as soon as possible.

Top Bottom