• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Was a good meeting. Some interesting points such as raising sales tax and eliminating property tax.

On yesterdays radio show, Dan brought up raising the gas tax and eliminating tolls. IIRC, he said gas taxes had not been raised in 20 or so years.

Usually, I'm not for raising taxes but do like the sales vs property taxes. At least I'd have some choice and control when I spent my money.

On gas, I'm not opposed. Yesterday, we made two 30 mile round trips in two trucks. It cost us $16 in tolls. I'd be more than happy to pay 10 cents a gallon, at 15 miles per gallon, or $0.80 in tax instead. 290 could use 2 more lanes going each direction. Hell, getting to work or home faster is worth $0.10 per gallon to me. Less potholes wouldn't hurt my feelings either.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I heard they are raising the gas tax also. I definately would look at a higher sales tax vs properity taxes also

Let's say the average person pays $2400 per year. That's $200 per month, or a lot of groceries, some electricity, and money retired/fixed income crowd won't have to spend or come up with.

I drove through Houston's 6th Ward, Heights, and Northside with my family. It is unfair that some of the old timers are being taxed out of their home because developers are building new urban living retreats (their words, not mine, I'd call them mousetraps) that are driving property taxes up.

While some may complain that increased sales taxes is unfair, property taxes are worse. If you rent, lease, or own, the cost is passed on to you. If you buy from a business that pays property tax, that cost is being passed on to you.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I agree with the no property tax, higher sales tax approach. A consumption tax. But there are a lot of details that need to be considered and worked out.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I agree with the no property tax, higher sales tax approach. A consumption tax. But there are a lot of details that need to be considered and worked out.

Yea, like how to keep the government in check and living on a non-pork, non-entitlement budget. Seriously, why do we not pay taxes on haircuts, legal services, etc., already?

Do we really need cops making six figure incomes and $80 million dollar sport complexes for school districts? Do Pelosi and Boehner really need thousands of dollars for flowers and bottled water? Can't DUMBama wait to take his wife out on "date night" when he's at the UN bowing?

I hate having to pay taxes at the end of the year. I'd rather pay as I go.

Wow, I went from happy to pissed in 0.02 seconds.

eriadoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Do we really need cops making six figure incomes and $80 million dollar sport complexes for school districts?

Yes, and no. I know I have been harsh on the bad apples in the police force, but I think they need to be way more selectively chosen, and as such, paid appropriately. When you underpay your police force, you get what you pay for. JMO.

And to reiterate, no &^%$ing way on the sports complexes. I love my high school football, and TX is all about football, but that doesn't take a multi-million dollar building.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Property taxes definitely need to be reduced. NO on the gas taxes. You take the tollway by choice as a convenience. EVERYBODY pays gas taxes. When we raise the fuel tax, we raise the cost of just about everything we buy.

The sales tax is the only one I'd consider raising, but I'm still not convinced any taxes need to be raised. There's so much government waste! If the state ran its affairs like a business, I believe taxes could actually be reduced and the quality of services would improve.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    A drive down Almeda-Genoa and Shaver might change your mind, lol.

In a perfectly sane and functional world, an increase in gas tax would result in less traffic, faster travel times, longer road life of my suspension, and less idling. I drive the toll road to save time, not really convenience. When you install and run service, you have to get things done.

I wish everyone was cheesed off over taxes, waste, and the lifestyle our politicians are enjoying at our expense. I don't go to townhalls, tea parties, and write my reps for my health.

Deepsix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Houston
    Being a Brit I have to say that gas taxes are a single step on the road to perdition, we get taxed 17.5% sales tax, and gas is about 85% tax, at the moment about $8/gallon, we also pay a "poll tax" on our houses of about $5000/year on a family sized home, once you let these political clowns loose on taxes it will cost you and they will expand their spending to suit, maybe good Scotch to go with the bottled water!

Southern Ireland however got rid of most home taxes (called "rates") by putting a 1 penny on income tax and then creaming it off to pay for schools/roads etc not saying this is a good idea, just an idea.

mortdooley

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    There is no amount of tax money the government can't out spend. It is not your patriotic duty to pay taxes, it is both a hardship on us and mostly a waste on them. Some services are needed but they are usually run with an open check book.

Top Bottom