Join TexasGunTalk

DAO vs SAO in semi autos. Which do you prefer and why?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by m5215, May 20, 2019.

DAO vs SAO in semi autos. Which do you prefer and why?

1. DAO

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  2. SAO

21 vote(s)
    84.0%
  1. Maverick44

Maverick44 Well-Known

May 5, 2016
    NE Texas
    Your finger is already on the trigger, and you were more than likely going to pull it again anyways (unless of course your threat is already dealt with which make this argument a moot point). It takes a literal fraction of a second to pull it for a second strike attempt. That is not diagnosing a problem any more than dropping the mag, clearing the gun, and popping a new mag in is (which would take FAR longer to do than just pulling the trigger).

It take so little time to just pull the damn trigger a second time, that it's not even worth arguing over. Is that 1/3 of a second really going to be a game changer for you? If so, how about the 4-5 seconds it takes to do a failure drill? You might have needed to do it, or you might not have. Again, it's a gamble. I'd much rather gamble 1/3 of a second over 4-5 seconds.

A revolver is not relevant to this discussion. You are pulling the trigger on a new cartridge each time, not the same one.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2. zackmars

zackmars Active Member

Nov 4, 2015
    galveston county
    You should be able to do a failire drill much faster than 4-5 seconds. Other than that, ok, fair enough.

How is a revolver not relevant? Plenty of DAO and SAO revolvers out there, and there isn't a seperate forum for them.

I'd say they're relevant, especially since I'd wager the vast majority of people carrying DAO's are carrying revolvers

And a revolver holds a finite amount of ammo, and doesn't lock open.

You aren't going to count how many rounds you shoot in a stressful situation, and plenty of shootings involve more than 5-8 rounds

So the question stands.

Your revolver goes click. What do you do? Do you hope it was a light strike and pull again, or do you start your reload?

3. zackmars

zackmars Active Member

Nov 4, 2015
    galveston county
    A PPQ is a fully cocked striker. Essentially SA. Its honestly a BIT too light for my tastes.

Glocks are partially cocked, about 60%. Gock at one point described their trigger as a 1.5 action, or something similar.

seeker_two and DyeF9 like this.
  4. Maverick44

Maverick44 Well-Known

May 5, 2016
    NE Texas
    Did you notice what the title of this thread was?

Again, a revolver is not relevant. They are not the same as a DAO semi auto, and have to be treated differently. To do a double strike attempt on a semi auto, all you have to worry about is pulling the trigger. On a revolver, if you want to retry a round, you have to keep track of which round was a dud (counting rounds in a high stress situation? Good luck with that), and unless the very first round was the dud, you'll have to pull the trigger multiple times to try a double strike.

My argument was for semi autos, not revolvers. They are completely different in that regard.

5. zackmars

zackmars Active Member

Nov 4, 2015
    galveston county

You got me. I promise i can actually read.

Maverick44 likes this.
  6. Maverick44

Maverick44 Well-Known

May 5, 2016
    NE Texas
    Lol, it's all good.

zackmars likes this.
  7. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    They are negligent discharges all caused by human error.

8. Army 1911

Army 1911 TGT Addict

Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    There are DAO revolvers so they do apply, SAO revolvers exist too.

9. Kar98

Kar98 TGT Addict

Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    That particular subject was about second strikes on chambered rounds in a DAO semi, and why "second strikes capability" is useful in advertising but nowhere else. ;)

10. oldag

oldag TGT Addict

Feb 19, 2015
    Every discharge of any type is due to human interaction.

Just some designs are more prone to human error than others.