Day 90 and Still no plastic

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by ErnieNWillis, Jun 5, 2009.

1. ErnieNWillis

ErnieNWillis New Member

May 28, 2009
    When should I start calling DPS? I have read where some members state that they started calling after 90 days. I am getting a little frustrated because 60 days has turned in to 90 days and will most likely turn in to 120 days. Sorry, I just needed to vent. :(

2. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I feel your pain. I remember counting day 70 two and a half weeks ago.

I don't know if calling helps or not. I can see it going both ways; 1. you get an annoyed "customer service" representative on the line or 2. they get on the ball and get your app out of their hair :lolz:

Worth a shot and practically the only way law-abiding citizens have to hold DPS CHL accountable (which is :bs:)

3. DoubleActionCHL

DoubleActionCHL Well-Known

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    In DPS days, 90 days is not 90 days. The 'real' 90 days is about 60 days following the date on your PIN letter. If you still have that, check the date. Wait until about 5 days after the 60 days (that would be 65 days) to call DPS. At the 90 day mark, if you haven't received your CHL, they are required, by statute, to send you another letter.

If you don't get that letter by then, give them a call.

You can contact the Concealed Handgun Licensing Bureau at :​
    or
    REGULATORY LICENSING SERVICE MSC 0245
    TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
    PO BOX 4087
    AUSTIN TX 78773-0245
    Phone: (512) 424-7293 or (512) 424-7294
    Helpline: (800) 224-5744​

4. bikerbill

bikerbill Active Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    took 75 days from class to getting my renewal license in the mail ... I feel for everybody who has to wait, especially if it's for your first license ... by the way, my license was in an unsealed envelope; glad I have an honest mailman ...

5. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    I guess the monkeys in Austin are not as well trained as I was lead to believe. LOL!!!

To the original OP - I feel for ya.

I screwed myself unintentionally.

As you all remember the packet is fairly large and lots of paperwork of various sizes inside.

Got every thing filled out and double checked, wrote out the check for $140.00 and papercliped to another piece of paper inside the packet.Slide every thing inside and sealed up and dropped it in the mail.

Walked into my office the following morning and under the wheel of my chair was the $140.00 check!!!!!

Do ask me how, but it fell out of the packet.

Called DPS and was told to wait for a letter requesting the money and mail the money back with the letter.

60days from dropped in mail till the letter arrived.

20 days after mailing the check and letter back my application is now back in process.

80 days and counting!

:lolz:

6. oldguy

oldguy Well-Known

Mar 6, 2008
  7. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I heard on klbj today that the current waiting time for the chl card is 60 days and can even take up to 16 weeks due to them being swamped. But, they are about to hire more people to process them. This event is reminding me of our ammo situation.

8. DoubleActionCHL

DoubleActionCHL Well-Known

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    I've heard through the grapevine (so don't take this as gospel) that the FBI background checks are being delayed.

9. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller

10. ErnieNWillis

ErnieNWillis New Member

May 28, 2009
    It's now 105 days! This is beyond rediculous. It has risen to the level of unacceptable!