• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ErnieNWillis

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    When should I start calling DPS? I have read where some members state that they started calling after 90 days. I am getting a little frustrated because 60 days has turned in to 90 days and will most likely turn in to 120 days. Sorry, I just needed to vent. :(
    DK Firearms

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I feel your pain. I remember counting day 70 two and a half weeks ago.

I don't know if calling helps or not. I can see it going both ways; 1. you get an annoyed "customer service" representative on the line or 2. they get on the ball and get your app out of their hair

Worth a shot and practically the only way law-abiding citizens have to hold DPS CHL accountable (which is )

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    When should I start calling DPS? I have read where some members state that they started calling after 90 days. I am getting a little frustrated because 60 days has turned in to 90 days and will most likely turn in to 120 days. Sorry, I just needed to vent. :(

In DPS days, 90 days is not 90 days. The 'real' 90 days is about 60 days following the date on your PIN letter. If you still have that, check the date. Wait until about 5 days after the 60 days (that would be 65 days) to call DPS. At the 90 day mark, if you haven't received your CHL, they are required, by statute, to send you another letter.

If you don't get that letter by then, give them a call.

You can contact the Concealed Handgun Licensing Bureau at :​
    or
    REGULATORY LICENSING SERVICE MSC 0245
    TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
    PO BOX 4087
    AUSTIN TX 78773-0245
    Phone: (512) 424-7293 or (512) 424-7294
    Helpline: (800) 224-5744​

bikerbill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    took 75 days from class to getting my renewal license in the mail ... I feel for everybody who has to wait, especially if it's for your first license ... by the way, my license was in an unsealed envelope; glad I have an honest mailman ...

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    by the way, my license was in an unsealed envelope; glad I have an honest mailman ...
    I guess the monkeys in Austin are not as well trained as I was lead to believe. LOL!!!

To the original OP - I feel for ya.

I screwed myself unintentionally.

As you all remember the packet is fairly large and lots of paperwork of various sizes inside.

Got every thing filled out and double checked, wrote out the check for $140.00 and papercliped to another piece of paper inside the packet.Slide every thing inside and sealed up and dropped it in the mail.

Walked into my office the following morning and under the wheel of my chair was the $140.00 check!!!!!

Do ask me how, but it fell out of the packet.

Called DPS and was told to wait for a letter requesting the money and mail the money back with the letter.

60days from dropped in mail till the letter arrived.

20 days after mailing the check and letter back my application is now back in process.

80 days and counting!

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I heard on klbj today that the current waiting time for the chl card is 60 days and can even take up to 16 weeks due to them being swamped. But, they are about to hire more people to process them. This event is reminding me of our ammo situation.

Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    Well, when I was there last week they said they were swamped with 10,000 aps a month and only 40 employees.

In 411.177 it states that they must issue or contact in 60 days, but on page 65 of TCHL it says they can take 180 days once your app is complete.

Waiting sucks...

ErnieNWillis

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Well, when I was there last week they said they were swamped with 10,000 aps a month and only 40 employees.

In 411.177 it states that they must issue or contact in 60 days, but on page 65 of TCHL it says they can take 180 days once your app is complete.

Waiting sucks...

Do they have to notify you within the first 60 days if your application is rejected?

Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    Do they have to notify you within the first 60 days if your application is rejected?

There are many twists and turns to the law. Luckily they don't always follow it as it is laid out.

Insection 3 (c) of 411.177 it says
    "Failure of the department to issue or deny a license for a period of more than 30 days after the department is required to act under subsection (b) constitutes denial."

In other words by the way the law reads if you have not gotten your plastic in 90 days you are denied. Fortunately that is not the case. many people are issued long after the 90 days are up. It's not easy to be patient, but I would say to remain seated for 180 days before you freak out.

Heck my first one took 120 days.

I

Top Bottom