• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggen13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2019
    Hillcountry
    The wife and I are considering trying the day hunt option again. Just wondering if anyone here has done a day hunt in the hill country lately and roughly what do they run for Axis and Whitetail. The hogs only come at night so I doubt the hunters would see any durning daylight hours. We have a decent sized property (2700 acres) but low fence free range in West Kerr county. Blind hunting only. Trying to get an idea of what to charge for this kind of opportunity. Any input is welcome.
    Hurley's Gold

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    It is a service industry with the more amenities the goes up. Are your talking just hunting or are you offering a place to stay too? Are meals in included? Is it guided? Who keeps the hunters honest if they are wounding & loosing their animal? Tracking dogs available? Will you be gutting & quartering the animals for cooler.

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    Anywhere from $100 on the SUPER LOW side, to $2500 for some of the professionally managed places with basicallly guaranteed BIG bucks.

The bigger questions are: 1. are you going to charge a 'trophy' fee?
    2. Do you raise and/or import stock?

A lot, maybe most, places charge an extra fee by the pound for whatever they kill.

Here is an example of a trophy fee scale for a place that manages and raises truly trophy deer:
    5 Star Outfitters Platinum Hunt Cost
    up to 149 (points on the b&C scale) $4,000
    180 to 190 $8,000
    190 to 200 $9,000
    200 to 220 $12,500
    220 to 260 $15,500

anotther: Pricing | Ranch
    Pricing
    All hunts are GUARANTEED* hunts and start early afternoon at the ranch’s shooting range, which is just minutes from the Killam offices and TAMIU University on Loop 20. And the blinds are all within 10 or 15 minutes of the shooting range.

2-day guide's choice mature buck hunt up to 130 inch B&C - $1500.00
    • This is a 2 day fully guided (1x1) guaranteed* hunt. You will have the opportunity to harvest a heavy horn buck of our choosing, that is at least 5 ½ years old.
    • A booking fee of half your contract price is due upon reservation of hunting date, and the balance is due 30 days prior to the hunt date.

www.killamranch.com › laredo-ortiz-ranch › pricing
    These hunts are $3000.00 plus trophy fees of $200/inch from 145 inches to ... One Whitetail Doe may be harvested with the above hunts for no additional fee.

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    Another, these people don't charge any extra fees, and accomodations are NOT included... so they work out to bascically $333 a day.

Whitetail Packages

This semi-guided deer hunt includes two full days of hunting and allows a quick method to fill the freezer. One Whitetail doe or spike buck, one turkey hen, and unlimited wild hogs.

$1,000

Different company:
    per person, per day
    $550
    THERMAL HOG HUNTING

per person, per day
    $250
    STAND/FEEDER HOG HUNTING

Biggen13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2019
    Hillcountry
    No I just want a flat rate, maybe a whitetail rate doe/buck and Axis rate doe/buck. Its just a hunt, we have a cabin out away from everything, where they can use the restroom but we don't want anyone to stay over night. No extra fee for antler size, points or weight. I did plan to pick up there deer so I can verify what was taken and make sure it is what they paid for and perhaps if they take an animal not paid for then they forfeit deer and the money they pay up front, not sure if that's extreme or not. Unfortunately not all hunters can be trusted so I need some way of giving them a reason to stay honest.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Low fence free range exotics can run the gamut. I have hunted at primitive places that charge a flat rate of $150 a day to use the cabin/blinds but there are zero guarantees on taking an animal( I have seen axis, wt, and blackbuck on the property but did not have a shot at either of the exotics ( have plenty of places to shoot wt and pigs)

I have gone to “guaranteed” places for axis that are $250 for a doe but you have the owner in the blind with you constantly trying to upsell you on a buck( or a goofy antlered buck that he wants gone)

And I have hunted at really nice guided/semi guided places that will cost thousands.

Just depends on what you have crossing your property, what your neighbors are charging and how many oilfield guys you want coming on your place;) for a day.

Biggen13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2019
    Hillcountry
    Some of these pictures are a little older but can give an idea of what comes by the feeder. Would only be one hunter allowed and one non hunter.

Attachments

• 20190813_115627.jpg
      20190813_115627.jpg
      1 MB · Views: 195
    • WGI_0173.JPG
      WGI_0173.JPG
      1.4 MB · Views: 197
    • WGI_0507.JPG
      WGI_0507.JPG
      1.7 MB · Views: 184
    • WGI_0850.JPG
      WGI_0850.JPG
      1.3 MB · Views: 229

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Cody Malone guides managed whitetail, mule, elk and high fence exotics and has properties in your area. He books African hunts as well.

Cody’s GTG and well respected and one of the few that consistently deliver what they promise. I hunted with him quite a bit back when he was booking late season geese and waterfowl in OK and AR and know how he runs his big game hunts. You won’t be disappointed which unfortunately is a common occurrence in the biz.

You can find him in the outfitters section on www.texashuntingforum.com.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Cody Malone guides managed whitetail, mule, elk and high fence exotics and has properties in your area. He books African hunts as well.

Cody’s GTG and well respected and one of the few that consistently deliver what they promise. I hunted with him quite a bit back when he was booking late season geese and waterfowl in OK and AR and know how he runs his big game hunts. You won’t be disappointed which unfortunately is a common occurrence in the biz.

I don’t think you understood the OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    For axis. a 'trespass fee' (no guide, no meals, no lodging, no field dressing) of $100/day is reasonable, with $250 for each doe shot, and $1000-$2000 for buck. Make the client leave their vehicle and drive them to the blind. Give them your mobile number so you can collect them when done.
    White-tail rates are all over the board and are driven by density and antler quality. Take a few does out of the herd if the doe-to-buck ratio is high.

Biggen13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2019
    Hillcountry
    For axis. a 'trespass fee' (no guide, no meals, no lodging, no field dressing) of $100/day is reasonable, with $250 for each doe shot, and $1000-$2000 for buck. Make the client leave their vehicle and drive them to the blind. Give them your mobile number so you can collect them when done.
    White-tail rates are all over the board and are driven by density and antler quality. Take a few does out of the herd if the doe-to-buck ratio is high.

I appreciate the input birddog, but I'm actually trying to get an idea on prices for day leasing my ranch for some hunts this year.

Biggen13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2019
    Hillcountry

This is what I was looking for. It will be pretty much a basic hunt. I just want to make pricing and do's and donts' as simple as possible. I wanted to keep it pretty reasonable also, so maybe the average hunter can have a chance at taking some meat home and still be able to afford sending there kids to college, lol. Some places I have seen get pretty pricey and I dont think most folks can afford it.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    If you are new at the leasing game what I would suggest is locate a local outfitter you trust (ask around). Tell him what you want to do with the understanding that you are trying to learn and eventually expect to handle it yourself. Keep your eyes and ears open with your mouth closed. And you can get a chance to make some money and decide if you really want to handle it yourself or let someone else. My ex FIL had a place outside Fredericksburg and he season leased it. He had the same group for over 20 years and they had no problems.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    I appreciate the input birddog, but I'm actually trying to get an idea on prices for day leasing my ranch for some hunts this year.

Check Cody’s website. He day leases ranches to guide hunts and has detailed pricing which could provide some insight.

Contact him. He’s a nice young man and honest. He’ll share his thoughts if you’re looking for an opinion from someone knowledgable with a proven track record of delivering quality hunts. It could pay dividends.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom