• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rgwalt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Houston Heights
    A friend went and said that a Beretta 92F sold for $1100, and a Browning Buckmark for $525. Plus there was a surcharge for the auction house and sales tax. Sounds rough to me.
    Military Camp

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I just got home. It was a long day; the last lot was sold around 8PM. My head is pounding and I can't bring myself to do a write up tonite.

Sounds rough to me.

However, I can do a short summary. Yes, it was rough.

Generally, "normal" guns and ammo sold for too much. The weird and expensive guns sometimes sold for too little. There were about a half dozen absolutely screamin' steal-deals. That didn't make up for all the pedestrian stuff that went for too much money.

A few highlights, especially on things people asked about -

Pistolpadre - The 7.5" San Jacinto commemorative Colt SAA went for $5000; the other one with a shorter bbl went for $3100
    Reaper277 - Colt Pythons sold for $2500 each (one 2", one 6")
    txhk - The H&K SP89 went for $3900.
    T.C. - The two Express shotguns went for $400 each.

Some bad buys that stand out in my mind are:
    A totally jacked-up, badly built 03A3-based sporter that I wouldn't give $200 for - $1200
    A completely pedestrian Savage .308/12 ga model 2400 O/U - $900
    A distinctly used Bersa Thunder - $675
    800 rounds of 7.62x51 WWB sold for $800, plus the 12% buyers premium plus tax. Can't you order the stuff cheaper than that online?

It was jam-packed, tempers were short, the staff were occasionally idiots, and there was a whole hell of a lot of stuff sold that appeared at the last minute (not guns, other stuff) that made me wonder exactly when I had followed a white rabbit down a hole.

A more complete list of sales items, (nearly) all prices on guns, and an epic-length rant on the whole she-bang will come tomorrow. For now, I need to put my aching head on a pillow.

Later.

PS - Oh, yeah, I got some stuff, including one of those half-dozen or so fantastic deals. Full details tomorrow. Maybe even pictures if I can get my broken camera to work one more time.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I'm so tired, so wired, and have so much arthritis pain I can't sleep. As long as I'm awake, I thought I'd throw together a report on the auction.

-------------------------

Executive Summary - The auction was a mixed bag. Careful folks found a few good deals. Most prices were too high. The atmosphere was pretty intense and sometimes weird.

My Version, In Which I Attempt To Cram a Few Hundred Words Worth of Information Into a Few Thousand -

Before I left, I posted to TGT that barring anything unforeseen, I’d be there shortly. Then there were plumbing problems and I ran late. When I arrived, the front parking lot was full and I was directed to park in the rear, which I prefer anyway.

The line of people waiting to enter the front door snaked all the way out to the street. I wanted none of that. I had registered two days prior and had my bidder card so I just walked into the warehouse and talked to the guys setting up the NICS transfer area. I filled out a 4473 in advance and at 11:04 by my Verizon phone, I entered the auction floor.

Unbeknownst to me, the set up for the auction had been a giant cluster and they were late opening the front doors. The auction employees yelled at me that I wasn’t allowed in and I should get out. I did, to a point just inside the warehouse where I couldn’t be seen. As soon as they opened the front doors, I went back and and looked for my reserved seat.

The reserved seats were part of the cluster. There were reservation signs with handwritten, illegible names. There were reservation signs with no names. And my name was nowhere to be found. I located one of the last couple of seats with neither a reservation sign on it or a warm body in it and plopped down to claim my little bit of real estate. I heard several people complain during the day about the way pre-registration and seat reservations were screwed up.

Not surprised. It’s Websters, after all.

The crowd reached total human gridlock by noon. Nothing was moving. They got on the PA and started haranguing the crowd to move faster starting at 12:04. Those helpful announcements were repeated.

The auction started a few minutes late. I was at a bit of a disadvantage. The auction house had re-edited (Again!) the inventory list for the auction. If I left my seat to get one, I’d lose my seat. I made do with the lot list they distributed Friday. I missed several deals because things were offered that I wasn’t expecting.

So much for sour grapes.

Wrapping up the preliminaries, here are a few prices and comments on things other than guns.

Skins

Dozens of skins were sold. According to the announcements, Brown had hundreds of skins in processs at Conroe Taxidermy. The skins sold were tanned and suitable to take home. There were hundreds of “wet" skins still at the taxidermy shop that were abandoned by the court. Some examples:

• Large bear - $1000
    • 12-foot alligator with head - $1200
    • Full hippo, with feet - $225
    • At least a dozen miscellaneous gemsbock, wildebeast, and unknowns went for $100. A bunch of really nice, smaller skins sold monotonously for $100.

Vehicles

• The Harley 2001 Road King Police Special with just under 14K miles sold (with title) for $8250.
    • The large BBQ trailer from Pits & Spits (about 12 feet long and equipped with everything) sold for $8000.

Collectibles

• Dallas Cowboys game-used helmet sold for $325.
    • 1967 Super Bowl ticket stub sold for $500.

Personal items

• The doctors tackle box sold for $550.
    • One of his hats, a nice fedora by Stetson, sold for $100. It was a size 7.
    • A pair of his custom boots in a fish hide (that I forget) sold for $200. Size was 9E.

Keep those sizes in mind. The auction next week will feature his extensive collection of custom boots and suits. I assume his hats will be there, too. If you can’t wear a size 9 shoe, there won’t be much for you. If you have a lady in your life who can wear a man’s boot in size 9 and she wants some manly footwear, you’ll have multiple chances to pick up a bargain.

Finally, what you’ve been waiting for -

Firearms

Notes -

• Prices shown are hammer prices. Add a 12% buyer premium and 8.25% sales tax to come up with an out-the-door price.
    • Where the price has a question mark next to the number, I’m unsure of what I heard. The number will be close to right.
    • Where the price has no number and just a question mark, I zoned out completely and have no idea what the price was.
    • Where the price shows “pulled”, the item was not offered for sale. Someone has filed an objection with the bankruptcy court claiming that they, not the doctor, owned a number of the firearms. Those items were pulled until the court decides what to do.
    • Not all the firearms he owned were in this auction. The court recently “discovered” that the doctor also owned a large home in Bentwater (wherever that is) and the auction house has been ordered to clean it out. In the course of preparing for this auction, they found the case and purchase paperwork where the doctor bought a Krieghoff shotgun for ~$80K. They haven’t found the gun. IOW, there will be more auctions in the future. In fact, one is already scheduled for March where his extensive collection of Mont Blanc pens will be sold. I wouldn’t be surprised if more firearms are discovered by then.
    • I’ve chosen to make my comments, where I feel the need to be either snarky or informative, under each item.
    • For the impatient or the skimmer readers, I’ve put a few things in bold red. That means I found them particularly interesting or I’m soliciting feedback to this post on whatever thing is discussed in red.

Here we go.

1. ARSENAL 7LR 107 CR AK 47 7.62x3 RIFLE - pulled
    2. A SQUARE .460WBY RIFLE - $1100
    3. B WEST CHINESE AK47 7.62X39 RIFLE - $1000
    4. BENELLI SEMI PUMP 12GA SHOTGUN - pulled
    5. BENELLI SUPER 90 12GA SHOTGUN - pulled
    6. BERETTA MOD 21A22 PISTOL - $400

7. BERETTA MOD 92F9MM PISTOL - $1200
    This was a special edition. All the small parts were gold plated and the overall finish was miles better than normal. A very, very pretty gun. Not $1200-pretty, but the price isn’t as stupid as it initially seems.

8. BERETTA MOD 950BS 22CAL PISTOL - $300
    9. BERETTA MOD 92F 9MM PISTOL - $650

10. BLASER JAGDWAFFEN R84 .375 HSH PISTOL - $4200
    Screaming Deal #1
    This was not a pistol. It was a mid-grade (silver receiver with engraving) R84 rifle with three barrels in .375 H&H, 7mm Remington Magnum, and .22-250. The extra bolt needed for the .22-250 was also there. Condition was flawless as far as I could see. I hung in bidding for a while but dropped out at $3500. Seeing as it would cost somewhere north of $10K to put together this do-everything combo, I call this the first screaming deal of the day.

11. BROWNING 6MM PISTOL - $400
    This was not a 6mm, it was a 6.35, i.e. a .25ACP Baby Browning. It was a nice one, too.

12. BROWNING 7MM RIFLE - $1200
    13. BROWNING INVECTOR 12GA SHOTGUN - $900
    14. BROWNING MEDALLION HORNET 22CAL RIFLE - $950
    15. BROWNING BUCK MARK 22CAL PISTOL - $525

16. BROWNING INVECTOR 26 10GA SHOTGUN - $1100
    This was a sawed-off abomination. Ithaca did a 10-gauge riot gun called, iirc, “The RoadBlocker” back in the day. This looked like a poorly-thought-out attempt to duplicate that gun.

17. BROWNING BL22 22CAL RIFLE - $975
    18. BROWNING 8500 12GA SHOTGUN - $850
    19. BROWNING A BOLT 270CAL RIFLE - $925

20. BROWNING 22CAL RIFLE - $1800
    I wanted this one. It was the classic .22 auto with finish upgrades, the silver receiver and gold inlay. I just didn’t want it at $1800.

21. BUSHMASTER XM15-EZS 223 RIFLE - $1000

22. CALICO LIBERTY 3 9MM PISTOL - $1500
    These things are fun toys. This one came with the 50-round helical magazine. 100-round mags are also available. Realistically, I’ve seen them sell for around $1K in the recent past and that’s how much I bid. And the bidding just zoomed right past me.

23. COLT WOODSMAN 22CAL PISTOL - $700
    This, and the one below, were both early field models. They had fixed sights, no embellishment other than that wonderful pre-war Colt blue, and they inspired lust in me. They just inspired more in other folks. But if I didn’t already have more .22 pistols than anyone could ever need, I woulda sunk my teeth into one of these and not let go. Man, they were pretty.

24. COLT SEMIHBAR SPORTER AR-15AZ RIFLE - $1100
    I don’t know much about ARs, but this was an M-4-looking thing.

25. COLT WOODSMAN 22CAL PISTOL - $950
    26. COLT NEW FRONTIER 22CAL REVOLVER - $725

27. COLT COMMANDER 45CAL PISTOL - $2900
    Somebody please school me on this pistol. It was a full-custom job and they took the time to show off a feature that I didn’t know existed for 1911s. I had noticed during the preview that the safety was huge and flared way too far away from the slide. However, there’s a purpose for it. If the hammer is down, you can press down on the safety to cock the hammer. It’s a solution looking for a problem, in my opinion, but it does create a 1911 that can be carried with the hammer down yet still be ready for action just by pressing the safety. Who on earth does this sort of custom work? Has anybody ever heard of this before?

28. COLT SPORTER .223CAL RIFLE - $1800
    29. COLT PYTHON 3575 REVOLVER 2“ - $2500
    30. COLT ANACONDA 44MAG REVOLVER - $2700

<<text continued in next post due to silly 10,000 character post limit>> ;)

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    <<The rest of the story...>>

31. COLT DIAMONDBACK 22CAL REVOLVER 4“ - $1900
    Grrrr. I wanted the two diamondbacks in this auction and didn’t get them.

32. COLT PYTHON 357 PISTOL 6“ - $2500
    33. COLT 45 COLT REVOLVER - pulled
    34. COLT AR-15 HBAR SPORTER 12GA/223 SHOTGUN/RIFLE - pulled
    35. COLT AR-15 223/5.56 RIFLE - pulled
    36. COLT ARMY 45CAL REVOLVER - $3100
    37. COLT ARMY 45CAL REVOLVER - $5000
    37A. COLT DIAMONDBACK 38CAL 4“ - $1800
    38. AMERICAN DERRINGER DA38 38CAL PISTOL - $350?
    39. DESERT EAGLE 50AE 50CAL PISTOL - $2000

40. DPMS PANTHER ARMS A-15 223/5.56CAL RIFLE - $1000
    Very heavy barrel, no muzzle attachment of any kind, and a gas block with a section of rail on top. It looked like something set up for varmint hunting.

41. FNH BDA-380 38CAL PISTOL - $700
    42. FREEDOM ARMS PREMIER GRADE 454CAL REVOLVER - $2500
    43. GAUCHA-IGA COACH GUN 12GA SHOTGUN - $750

44. GLOCK 17 9MM PISTOL NO CLIP - $550
    This was a well worn Gen 1. I’d like a Gen 1 but I was hesitant at this price. Did I pass up a good deal?

45. GP WASR-10-AK47 WASR-10/63UF 7.62X39 RIFLE - $850
    46. GRENDEL P30 22MAG PISTOL - $550
    47. HAWKEN RIFLE 58/52CAL RIFLE - $875
    48. HK SP89 9MM PISTOL - $3900
    49. HK USP 45CAL PISTOL - $850
    50. H&R TROOPER 158 410 RIFLE - ?

51. INTERDYNAMIC KG9 9MM PISTOL NO CLIP - $2200
    I was, frankly, peeved that someone else at the auction knew what this was. It was a true KG9, not a later derivative; it fires from an open bolt. It’s allowed to exist legally only because of a restrictive ATF letter ruling that says the separate sale of a bolt from this gun results in the transfer of an unregistered machine gun. Despite the fact that it was covered in rust, open-bolt fanbois would happily pay $3K and up for these. I hung in until $2100 when I realized that the guy I was bidding against was just holding up his bidder card without moving. At Websters, that means “Jump me another bid increment every time someone else bids.” He was going to buy it no matter what. Everyone in the room was looking at us like we were crazy to be bidding thousands on what looked to be just a badly rusted TEC-9 knockoff. When the hammer fell, I congratulated the successful bidder and told him I was surprised that two of us who knew what that thing was had showed up. He just nodded, acknowledged my congrats, and said he hoped it would clean up nicely.

52. ITHACA M49 22CAL RIFLE - ?
    53. IVER JOHNSON 25CAL PISTOL - $300
    54. MARLIN GLENFIELD 30 30-30 RIFLE - $650
    55. MARLIN GLENFIELD 60 22LR RIFLE - $400

56. MAUSER 30-06 RIFLE - $1200
    Actually, this was a Springfield 03 A3 that had been badly sporterized a long time ago and not treated well since. The price shocked me.

57. MAUSER OBERNDORF 416 RIGBY RIFLE - $2100

58. MGA ULTA LIGHT 340WBY RIFLE - $1100
    Screaming Deal #2
    The base price on these rifles is $3750 and you have to be willing to wait a long time. This rifle has some extra-cost options that surely pushed it well above $4K. After I got this rifle home, I looked it over even more carefully than at the preview. It has handling marks atop the barrel but the bolt lug wear is non-existent. A look down the barrel shows a few flakes of powder. If it weren’t for that, I’d say it was unfired. I have a theory. The length of pull on this rifle is close to normal so it wouldn’t fit the previous owner at all. I wouldn’t be surprised if the good doctor fired one shot from the rifle, it knocked the snot out of him, and he put it away. I don’t care, though, because it’s mine now and I stole it!

59. MIL INC/TAURUS THUNDER FIVE 410/45CAL REVOLVER - $400?
    60. MOSSBERG 185KB 20GA SHOTGUN - $300
    61. MAGNUM RESEARCH MOUNTAIN EAGLE 22CAL PISTOL - $400?
    62. NB DAVIS & SONS DOUBLE BARREL 20GA SHOTGUN - $400

63. NORINCO 87S 7.62X39 RIFLE NO CLIP - $950
    This is actually an 86S pre-ban bullpup. I don’t know anything about AKs but I dimly remembered that this gun, being pre-ban, is considered something of a desirable collectible among AK aficionados. So, I bought it pretty much on impulse. For our AK experts out there - How did I do?

64. NORTH AMERICAN ARMS GUARDIAN 32CAL PISTOL - $500
    65. NORTH AMERICAN 22CAL REVOLVER - $525

66. ORDNANCE TECH MAGNUM RESEARCH 30-06 PISTOL - $1300
    The auctioneer touted it as a “rare piece” and the entire crowd responded. That auctioneer could get a job herding cats; the whole room conspired to pay a truly ridiculous price. It’s one of the nicer examples of that particular design but $1300 is just stupid.

67. REMINGTON SPEEDMASTER 22S RIFLE - $450
    68. REMINGTON 11 12GA SHOTGUN - $475
    69. REMINGTON 870 EXPRESS MAGNUM 12GA SHOTGUN - $400
    70. REMINGTON 870 EXPRESS 12GA SHOTGUN - $400

71. REMINGTON XP100 35REM PISTOL - $525
    Custom ‘smiths and pistol silhouette shooters will pay roughly this amount just to get the actions and throw everything else away. I intend to shoot this one, however. I’m a sucker for XPs; I think this makes 6 I now own. The price was a little below fair retail and half what some jokers on gun sales web sites are asking so I feel good about this purchase. Nothing earth-shattering but I can always use another XP.

72. REMINGTON 1100 20GA SHOTGUN - ?
    73. REMINGRTON 11 12GA SHOTGUN - $925
    74. REVELATION 110 22S-L-LR RIFLE - $325

75. RIFLES INC ULTRA LIGHT 300WBY RIFLE - $1500
    This was bought at a great price but it was clearly custom made for the doctor. The length of pull of the stock is ridiculously short. It was bought by a tall fellow with long arms. I sure hope he bought it for someone else. If he tries to shoot it the only thing that will prevent the bolt shroud from breaking his nose is the concussion he’ll get when the scope bell whacks his forehead.

76. RUGER 1022 22CAL RIFLE - $375?
    77. RUGER SINGLE SIX 22CAL REVOLVER - $450
    78. RUGER NEW BEARCAT 22CAL REVOLVER - $475

79. SANTA BARBARA 7MM MAG RIFLE - $825
    Weatherby collectors are fascinated by the connection and shared influences between Weatherby and Santa Barbara. However, the Weatherby collectors weren’t out in force at this auction so I can’t figure out why this horrifically abused rifle with a mutilated bore sold for this much.

80. SAVAGE 240/U 24LR/410 RIFLE - $500
    81. SAVAGE 2400 308/12GA RIFLE/SHOTGUN - $900
    82. SIG SUAR P220 45ACP PISTOL NO CLIP - pulled
    83. SIG SAUR P220 45ACP PISTOL NO CLIP - pulled
    84. SMITH & WESSON 5904 9MM PISTOL - $600
    85. SNAKE CHARMER 2 410GA SHOTGUN - $300
    86. TANFOGLIO GIUSEPP GT27 25CAL PISTOL - $200
    87. WINCHESTER / TAYLORS & CO NO. 2 STAGE 45/70CAL RIFLE - $1450

88. THOMPSON CENTER ARMS 223 REM PISTOL - $700
    Man, this was on old one. It had the Puma scope and angle mount that T/C sold starting back in the late 1960s.

89. THOMPSON CARBINE SEMI 45CAL RIFLE - $2100?
    I got distracted during this one. Some bidders were trying to remove the Coke machine they bought and in the process, during the bidding for this rifle, they managed to break some artwork that had been bought by still other bidders. I really am glad it’s not my job to mediate the kind of disputes that will arise when crap like that happens.

90. UZI ACTION ARMS 9MM RIFLE - $1700
    91. WSR AK-47 7.62X39 RIFLE - $650
    92. WEATHERBY MARK V 378CAL RIFLE - $1300
    93. WEATHERBY MARK V 300CAL RIFLE - $1550
    94. WEATHERBY MARK V 416CAL RIFLE - $1500
    95. WEATHERBY MARK V 460CAL RIFLE - $1650

96. WINCHESTER REPEATING 12GA SHOTGUN - $1550
    This lever action was represented by the house as being manufactured in 1892. It was so loose and everything rattled so much when I inspected it that I would be afraid to shoot it. Apparently, some others don’t agree with me.

97. WINCHESTER 9422M 22WIN RIFLE - ?
    98. BERSA THUNDER - $675

Ammo sales and miscellaneous

Part of the revised inventory list that I didn’t have was the ammo. I, therefore, failed to track or bid these items properly. And I’m kicking myself. You’ll see why.

• 800 rounds of WWB .308 Win for $880. That was stupid. (BTW, the price I quoted in my previous post was wrong; things were actually worse than I remembered.)
    • 750 rounds of 7.62x51 147 milsurp in battle packs for $550
    • 1000 rounds Wolf 7.62x39 for $550
    • Screaming Deal #3 - a lot consisting of 1 box of .460 Weatherby ammo and 2 boxes of .416 Rigby ammo - $30
    • Screaming Deal #4 - a lot consisting of two boxes of .454 Casull and 8 blister packs of blue Glasers, mostly in .38 and .357 - $30
    • Screaming Deal #5 - a lot consisting of at least two dozen brand new Briley shotgun chokes - $90. These thing usually cost about $20 to $80 each and the box looked to have almost exclusively the more expensive ones. I only found out about this when I congratulated the guy who bought the .416 Rigby ammo. I told him “You got the deal of the day.” He responded with “That wasn’t the deal of the day. This was.” Then he showed me the chokes. I have no idea how I missed that lot and I’m kicking myself for not paying closer attention.

OK, that’s the basics. I’ll try to add more later especially if people have questions.

What’s your pick for best and worst buys of the day?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Lessee, stuff I forgot.

More Misc.

There were hundreds of (I think) "Steadi-Pod" rifle rests. Dr. Brown invented and patented them. There was a small manufacturing facility churning these out at his ranch. They sold out at $10 each which I thought was pretty high for an adjustable plastic stick.

Optics

There was a shed-load of scopes. This guy liked to buy multiples. For example, there were a dozen identical Swarovski 3x9 scopes and 8 (I think) 1.5x5 scopes from the same maker.

I got a price on the Zeiss Diavari C 3 X 9 X 36 scopes. I think he had 7; the high bidder took them all at $725 each.

556nutt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    N. Houston
    Thats crazy on the priceing. The 762x39 ammo is $225-250 per 1,000 all day and it sold for double. :beat: A wasr ak for $850 :/ seems like people just bought what they wanted with no regard for the everyday price. Which i could see for something rare but not ammo and ak's

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Outstanding write up Ben.

Regarding the .340 WBY caliber rifle, let me know when you do your 'one and done' with that. That cartridge is brutal and I can only image it in a lightweight rifle. Got a buddy that for some reason likes pain and he might be interested :)

Sounds to me like you got some killer deals. I feel that you could easily double your money if you placed all your purchases up for sale on the internet.

Congratulations.

(However, I am now really glad I missed it.)

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Regarding the .340 WBY caliber rifle, let me know when you do your 'one and done' with that. That cartridge is brutal and I can only image it in a lightweight rifle.
    I don't have a scale to weigh it but if the specs on the web site are to be believed, it weighs less than 5.5 pounds. Having held it, I believe it.

As for "one and done", that's unlikely. They make light bullets, SR4759, and Trail Boss for occasions just like this. ;)

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I don't have a scale to weigh it but if the specs on the web site are to be believed, it weighs less than 5.5 pounds. Having held it, I believe it.

As for "one and done", that's unlikely. They make light bullets, SR4759, and Trail Boss for occasions just like this. ;)

The one my cousin used to have was a Sako Deluxe and it weighed in at over 8 pounds. That is the nastiest rifle I have ever fired. I can fire my .50 BMG dozens of more times before I get tired of it.

Good luck, and post a range report when you do finally light a round off. (video if possible :P )

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Somebody please school me on this pistol. It was a full-custom job and they took the time to show off a feature that I didn’t know existed for 1911s. I had noticed during the preview that the safety was huge and flared way too far away from the slide. However, there’s a purpose for it. If the hammer is down, you can press down on the safety to cock the hammer. It’s a solution looking for a problem, in my opinion, but it does create a 1911 that can be carried with the hammer down yet still be ready for action just by pressing the safety. Who on earth does this sort of custom work? Has anybody ever heard of this before?

Just out of a combination of curiosity, insomnia, and a load of mind-altering chemicals, I decided to research this myself. It took me a while to figure it out, but the system described above is the "Safety Fast System" from Cylinder and Slide. They sell kits so I don't know who installed this kit in this pistol but at least I understand it now. With the parts installed, you load the gun as normal then press the hammer forward. It will stay there.

When you draw and automatically hit the safety lever, a spring pushes the hammer back to fully cocked. It's conceived as a way for LEOs to carry their 1911s with the hammer down for the sake of appearance. That's really the whole impetus behind this invention.

As for the particular pistol that was sold, I feel sure it wasn't actually customized by Cylinder and Slide. The finish was too poor and too gaudy to have made it out of a classy, competent shop like C&C.

I'm glad I didn't bid. I'm guessing someone overpaid pretty bad for that piece.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I anybody going to the auction today? The main draw is the hundreds of collectible pens the doctor owned. The guy dropped $5K apiece on fountain pens like I'd buy a tank of gas.

However, they are finally cleaning out the last (they think) of his guns. I think the big dollar items will be some fully-engraved pieces (a Smith 64, 5906, and one of those NAA mini-revolvers), an H&K 91, a couple of Randall 1911s, and maybe the broomhandle Mauser.

I went to the preview and decided that nothing on offer is sufficiently stirring to my soul as to make me sit through another one of those mosh-pit-crowded auctions.

However, if anyone is actually going I'd be interested in hearing how the prices run.

If anyone is interested, the auction house opens for bidding at 11 AM today and bidding starts at 1 PM.

Just for completeness, the inventory lists are here: Bankruptcy Michael G. Brown Guns, Pens, Tractor, Harley & Coins Auction 1PM « Websters Auction

So you don't have to bother going there, the gun list is:

Gun List

Sunday March 16, 2014

H-1 Accu-Tek AT-380 ACP Pistol
    H-2 H&A XL Double Action 32 Revolver
    H-3 H&R Breaktop 32 Revolver
    H-4 Texas Ranger 38 Revolver
    H-5 Heritage Rough Rider 22 Mag & 22LR Revolver
    H-6 Smith & Wesson 27-2 357Mag Revolver in Box
    H-7 Henry Survival 22 Rifle
    H-8 Remington 572 22 Rifle
    H-9 Glenfield 30A 30-30 Rifle
    D-1 Highly Engraved Smith & Wesson 5906 9mm Pistol
    1. Ruger MK2 22cal Pistol
    2. Sig Saur P226 9mm Pistol
    3. Arsenal 7 LR AK-47 7.62x39 Rifle
    4. Benelli Semi Pump 12ga Shotgun
    5. Sig Saur P220 45ACP Pistol
    6. Benelli Super 90 12ga Shotgun
    7. Cimarron 38 Caliber Colt Revolver
    8. Colt 45cal Revolver
    9. Benelli Super 90 12ga Shotgun
    D-2 Highly Engraved North American Arms 22Mag/22LR w/ extra cylinder
    10. Sig Saur P220 45ACP Pistol
    11. Cimarron 45cal Colt Revolver
    12. Benelli Super 90 12ga Shotgun
    13. Cimarron 45cal Colt Revolver
    14. Cimarron 45 Colt 45 Rifle
    15. Cimarron Colt 45 Colt Rifle
    16. HK 91 .308cal Rifle
    D-3 Highly Engraved Smith & Wesson 38spl
    R-1 Star 38 Super 9mm/38 Super
    R-2 Colt Woodsman 22cal
    R-3 Winchester 67A 22
    D-4 Highly Engraved Springfield 1911 45 Pistol New Never Shot w/ Case & extra mag
    J-1 Taurus 82 38 Revolver
    J-2 Iver Johnson Breaktop 38 Revolver
    J-3 Lorcin L380 Pistol
    J-4 Remington 597 22 Rifle
    J-5 Mossin Nagant M44 7.62x54 Rifle
    J-6 Hembrug 1918 6.5x53R Rifle
    J-7 Marlin 81-DL 22 Rifle
    S-1 Remington New Army 1858 44cal Revolver
    S-2 Randall Gen. Curtis Lemay 9mm Pistol
    S-3 Randall Raider Super 38 Auto Pistol
    S-4 Mauser 7.63x39 Pistol w/ Wood Holster
    S-5 Colt Walker Heritage 44cal Percussion Revolver
    S-6 Springfield Trapdoor 1884 45-70 Rifle

ETA - Items NOT on the inventory list include 9 500-round bricks of Centurion .22LR and two gigantic (56"x72"x28") Heritage gun safes. I don't know what safes like that cost but they were HUGE. ;)

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Wished I could try that " Curtis Lemay" He's kinda like one of my heroes....
    It's a nicely-finished, full-size 1911 in 9mm. I think it's stainless. Comparable prices I can find online indicate it's worth about $3K.

Top Bottom