APOD Firearms

Dear Lord... let this be the correct thread!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    The ad is wrong. The guy got mixed up or doesn’t understand the difference.

The gun in the ad IS a VP 9. The gun IS striker fired. That gun feels like a single action trigger pull, which Glock confused people by calling theirs Safe Action. But as Peter explained nicely is actually a DA.

B
    I feel like a woman trying to make a decision on which bra to get.... Come'on dude... make up yur mind!

Does the VP9 have the safety, no not an actual safety, but the safe condition that a DA action provides. Meaning I can have a round in the chamber and feel relatively comfortable that I won't have a ND AD... whatever with that first round firing. With P229 I'm pretty comfortable that unless I meaningly pull the trigger with the hammer decoked and one in the chamber it ain't firing.

I've shot a Glock 19, Glock 43, S&W M&P Shield, and an SA XD and felt comfortable with all of them. Lotta folks say go to the range n' rent what you're thinking of buying. I've called most ranges within a 25 mile radius and most are extremely limited on what they offer in range rentals. Then those that may have what I'm interested in are like $15.00 hour and I have to use their ammunition at $40.00 per 50rnds. And even that particular range is limited in what they offer. Marksman Range is the only one that rents for the day, range for the day, and I can use my factory load ammunition but they're limited to mostly Glocks, S&W or SA handguns rentals.
    I suppose, in the grand scheme of things I could buy it and if I didn't like it - sell it. I suppose.
    Venture Surplus ad

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    OK... looks like I'm gonna own it. Told the guy I had 8 years USN and he said for that - he'll throw in another 15 rd. magazine. We're working on where to meet up at now.
    You gotta get something for being in the navy that long. Just be ware if he drops it in front of you.....

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    You are asking a very subjective question. Me personally, I would have no problem worrying about a ND.

On my modified Gun there is a good bit of free take up before hitting a light resistance. Unlike other striker guns that have a mushy resistance right away.

Why not meet the seller and tell him that it must meet your trigger criteria before buying. If I were a seller I’d take that gamble.

popo22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Doug1515, It is absolutely a "DA" trigger (it is referred to as a "pre-cocked" DA trigger so the feel is a little different than some). It will not fire unless you have a round chambered and pull the trigger. The VP9 however does have a lighter trigger than most traditional "DA" pistols along with a quick "re-set". It is a very good pistol but will require training and shooting if you are accustomed to a "DA/SA" trigger. I own the VP9 and the VP9sk and they are both excellent pistols, but do require some shooting/practice before you "carry" it.

The grip is much more ergonomic than the P229 (I have one of those as well). Both are very good guns, just different.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Doug1515, It is absolutely a "DA" trigger (it is referred to as a "pre-cocked" DA trigger so the feel is a little different than some). It will not fire unless you have a round chambered and pull the trigger. The VP9 however does have a lighter trigger than most traditional "DA" pistols along with a quick "re-set". It is a very good pistol but will require training and shooting if you are accustomed to a "DA/SA" trigger. I own the VP9 and the VP9sk and they are both excellent pistols, but do require some shooting/practice before you "carry" it.

The grip is much more ergonomic than the P229 (I have one of those as well). Both are very good guns, just different.

Yes they seller is agreeable to anything I want to do. The condition he placed is "IF" I just want to come look at the gun and hold it(ok fondle it) and check it out prior to committing to the purchase I'll have to drive to Spring, about an hour one way. If, on the other hand, I give a verbal commit over the phone he'll drive most of the way to my house leaving about a 15 min. drive for me.

About the trigger... He did installed a lighter H&K trigger spring(s). The factory springs are included in the deal.

These 15rd mags. Are they single stack? Looks kinna like it but I haven't been able to confirm nor deny that on any website I've been to.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    That price seems steep by pre-pandemic standards. Unless you need another gun, I'd personally wait.

I did see a variety of 9mm handguns at Academy yesterday including a couple of Caniks, some Glocks and the like. They're still out there.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    That price seems steep by pre-pandemic standards. Unless you need another gun, I'd personally wait.

I did see a variety of 9mm handguns at Academy yesterday including a couple of Caniks, some Glocks and the like. They're still out there.
    Need "another" hell I'm in the need 'a' group. Yeah... I think I'm gonna hold off. I was set on a Sig... but then I'm just not getting comfortable with the grip on the P229. I had a pretty bad wreck in '69 that put a hurtin' on my left arm. Rotating the left arm/wrist beyond having a vertical palm it pretty impossible. As in even if I wanted to there's no way I could utilize the tea cup grip. You try to put a handful of change in my left hand - it's hittin' the floor!

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    I feel like a woman trying to make a decision on which bra to get.... Come'on dude... make up yur mind!

Does the VP9 have the safety, no not an actual safety, but the safe condition that a DA action provides. Meaning I can have a round in the chamber and feel relatively comfortable that I won't have a ND AD... whatever with that first round firing. With P229 I'm pretty comfortable that unless I meaningly pull the trigger with the hammer decoked and one in the chamber it ain't firing.

I've shot a Glock 19, Glock 43, S&W M&P Shield, and an SA XD and felt comfortable with all of them. Lotta folks say go to the range n' rent what you're thinking of buying. I've called most ranges within a 25 mile radius and most are extremely limited on what they offer in range rentals. Then those that may have what I'm interested in are like $15.00 hour and I have to use their ammunition at $40.00 per 50rnds. And even that particular range is limited in what they offer. Marksman Range is the only one that rents for the day, range for the day, and I can use my factory load ammunition but they're limited to mostly Glocks, S&W or SA handguns rentals.
    I suppose, in the grand scheme of things I could buy it and if I didn't like it - sell it. I suppose.
    You seem to be saying that you are comfortable/want the p229 or something simular with the first da pull. But then you're saying you're comfortable with g19, sa xd etc. Which are not like the p229. A little confusing. I think if you really are comfortable carrying a g19, sa xd etc then the vp9 would be similar to those and not the p229. Just my 2c

ETA, and for price comparison I've been looking at a vp9 that's optic ready, never fired. The guy is asking $650 obo.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    You seem to be saying that you are comfortable/want the p229 or something simular with the first da pull. But then you're saying you're comfortable with g19, sa xd etc. Which are not like the p229. A little confusing. I think if you really are comfortable carrying a g19, sa xd etc then the vp9 would be similar to those and not the p229. Just my 2c
    Yeah.... I know it's confusing. I was sort of playing the devils advocate with myself on those statements. Just putting into words what I was thinking and talking myself away from the "I gotta have a P226" position. Pointing out the reality of just not comfortable with the P226 grip. Thinking at one time - get the P226 and put the e2 grips on it. And that may be a solution. I don't know if the e2 grips would scratch the itch though.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Ah right, I forgot you still don't have one. You're still waiting on the 226?

In this case, it's probably worth jumping on to avoid having to deal with NICS. It's not that much higher.
    Actually I think it's been more than 30 days since the 226 went in the back of BPS with my name one. Last time I checked they were still holding it. Checked with the LTC folks last week and got a bit of interesting information. I'll paraphrase the discussion but basically it went like this:

Me: I'm over 30 days waiting for LTC and most are not taking near that long now.
    LTC Gal: I see. Did you self-report anything on your application?
    Me: Yes'um. Included a DUI I had in 2007 - which is beyond the 10 year window for a misdemeanor of that class.
    LTC Gal: Oh, you did self-report. Well then if you self-report your application comes off the "Process ASAP" stack and is transferred to the "Whenever we don't have anything else to do" stack. Is there anything else I can help you with?
    Me: Winning lottery numbers for tonight's drawing.
    LTC Gal: Have a nice day...click...buzz....

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Anyhow... I've decided not to make the purchase. In the ad the seller states the gun is "green". In the pictures it looks a lot like the P365 NRA coloring without a tan slide. Well... went to sportsman's warehouse and found that gun in that color. MMmmm... it's green. For me it sorta looked like gangreen. I just know I wasn't fond of it.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    Actually I think it's been more than 30 days since the 226 went in the back of BPS with my name one. Last time I checked they were still holding it. Checked with the LTC folks last week and got a bit of interesting information. I'll paraphrase the discussion but basically it went like this:

Me: I'm over 30 days waiting for LTC and most are not taking near that long now.
    LTC Gal: I see. Did you self-report anything on your application?
    Me: Yes'um. Included a DUI I had in 2007 - which is beyond the 10 year window for a misdemeanor of that class.
    LTC Gal: Oh, you did self-report. Well then if you self-report your application comes off the "Process ASAP" stack and is transferred to the "Whenever we don't have anything else to do" stack. Is there anything else I can help you with?
    Me: Winning lottery numbers for tonight's drawing.
    LTC Gal: Have a nice day...click...buzz....
    That sucks. I had the same charge in 2007 too. I self reported. My chl can back pretty quick but that was a few years ago

Top Bottom