• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    I just need something that'll hold zero on a mosin with ~3-9x or ~3-12x. It doesn't need to be particularly good for low light or waterproof etc. Looking at Nikon Prostaffs for $170 but would like to spend more like $50-$100.

I'm getting my hand back into the car hobby money pit again so really need to just keep this to a strict budget.
    Guns International

Last edited:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I just need something that'll hold zero on a mosin with ~3-9x or ~3-12x. It doesn't need to be particularly good for low light or waterproof etc. Looking at Nikon Prostaffs for $170 but would like to spend more like $50-$100.
    Kinda hard to find anything decent in that price range, but I've got a 4-16x40 Centerpoint that I picked up at Walmart for $70 that seems pretty decent. Better quality than anything else I've seen for under $100 at least. Works fine on my dirt cheap .30-06

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Primary Arms has an outstanding reputation for cost, customer service, and quality for what you're paying. They're also a forum sponsor and are hq'd out of Houston. I highly recommend you at least give them a look over.

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    Primary Arms has an outstanding reputation for cost, customer service, and quality for what you're paying. They're also a forum sponsor and are hq'd out of Houston. I highly recommend you at least give them a look over.

I already have, I'm concerned about a 44mm scope on this setup needing to be set up pretty high and I don't want a fixed 6x or a 1-4x. I did buy a bunch of stuff from them for my AR build and I'm running their light & switch. I try to keep it in Texas first like a good new citizen.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Primary Arms, Bushnell,Barska all come to mind. You can even check your local WM sporting section for affordable optics in your price range.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I've heard some pretty nasty talk about barska. I have a barska on my .22 with no problems, but from what I've heard, I wouldn't put it on anything bigger than that.

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    I've heard some pretty nasty talk about barska. I have a barska on my .22 with no problems, but from what I've heard, I wouldn't put it on anything bigger than that.

I've found a lot of negatives on the barskas and bushnell banners. I'm leaning towards the walmart centerpoint. The only consistent complaint seems to be its not good at 12x+ magnification. I think I'll live under 12 fine. Aside from that it seems like QC issues and they are solid, or they are complete shit lemons and you just return it and try your luck with the replacement.

Edit: bought the centerpoint since I'm flying out tomorrow. First impressions after 12x it definitely gets cloudy but seems plenty clear enough for me under that. As long as magnifies and holds zero it'll meet my goals for the intended gun and purpose.

I'll throw down on good glass whenever I do a 54r or .308 vepr in a year or two.

Last edited:

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Check out the UTG scopes on Amazon.com, they're cheaper there than on other websites like Optics Planet.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    The Cabelas Pine Ridge line are decent. I have had a couple and liked them both. They are fairly reasonable scopes.

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    I had a Tasco 3x9 x40 on a M1A/M14 for a couple of years then sold the rifle and now
    I'am thinking about putting it on my AK, when I bought the scopeI think it was 40.00.
    Still works great.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Look up the reviews on optics planet. Sort it by reviews after your initial search. There are some lower priced scopes with many 5 star reviews. Optics like knives seem to be an area elitists really occupy. I think most of the cheaper scopes are junk but i think there are some decent good value scopes out there.

Top Bottom