Decent entry level AR-15?

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by Apoptosis, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Apoptosis

Apoptosis New Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Lubbock
    Been looking a few different models of AR-15's and had a couple questions about some different brands.

-On a few of the models, such as Double Star, the entry price is VERY tempting at $650 shipped. The Double Star model seems just about the same quality as say a Sabre or DPMS, other than the non-Chrome Moly barrel. My roommate has mentioned to run away from non-Chrome barrels. Is he right?

Double Star @ $650
    Doublestar Star 15 CAR 16" HBAR .223 for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $649.00

Sabre Defense @ $795
    Sabre Defence AR-15 Carbine for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $795.00

DPMS Panther @ $735
    DPMS Panther LIte 16, 223 16" 6 Position Stock for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $735.00

And a few Armalite models locally that are going for $800-850ish.

- Which brand would you get, and what brands, if any, would you stay away from?

- How are Charles Daly AR's? I noticed they have a lifetime warranty on all models and even pay shipping both ways. I've also seen a few reviews on various websites and they seem like well built rifles.

- Are there any good FFL(I think?) dealers in either Lubbock or Dallas/Ft.Worth(Keller Area) that are good to work with?

- What ammo would you guys stay away from? On my father's handgun, it had trouble shooting steel cased ammo. Are AR's generally finicky with ammo?

- Are there any accessorizes that are must have when you buy a rifle new? It'll be mostly plinking for the next year, then it'll be more home defense/plinking.

Thanks guys.

2. Mate

Mate Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Houston
    The lowest quality AR I would go with is a S&W. Please, I am begging you. Just save up a little longer if you have to and buy a decent AR. I know in Dallas there's a place called Bachman pawn. They have Colt 6920's for $1250. I know this is twice the price of the Doublestar, but brother, it is 100 times the gun the Doublestar/DPMS would ever hope to be.

If I could do it all over again, I would pick any one of these models:

SLR15 - "The Grail"
    Noveske - recce FSR 16
    BCM - one of the guns that Grant at G&R put together
    Colt - 6920
    Daniel Defense - the 7" railed M4
    LMT - MRP

The common thing with these are that they all MILSPEC guns. Milspec as in, they actually follow the TDP that the military puts out. 5.56 chambers, HPT/MPI barrels/bolts, 1/7 twist, 4150 barrel steel, etc, etc.

Charles Daly's are ok, if it was between a CD and a doublestar/DPMS I would pick the CD. The warrantys arent as big a deal as people think they are. If you buy a good gun from the start you prob wont ever have to use it. If you need it, it'll prob be within the first year if you do any amount of shooting.

Re: ammo - Buy whatever is available. Some people are picky, and will only shoot brass through their guns. I'm a whore, I'll shoot anything I can get my hands on. Mainly because I like to see if my gun will fail. I want to know what it can eat and what it cant.

Must have for any rifle: Sling/white light/ red dot sight.

....and that's all I have to say about that.

3. Apoptosis

Apoptosis New Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Lubbock
    Thanks for the response.

MM, really? I was under the impression that DPMS and Armalite were decent quality weapons.

I'm not really willing to spend $1300+ on an M4 right now. I'm a college student, so dropping over a grand on a rifle is out of the question.

4. jasont

jasont Active Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    DPMS makes good quality guns that are more than capable of being a plinker. The rifle I use for 3-gun is made mainly of DPMS parts and it has won me quite a few matches. You absolutely do not need to spend that much cash to have a gun that is fun and will run just fine. The CMMG bargain bin rifles are the best deal going now at $599. I bought one for my brother last year and have put it through it's paces without any problems.

Just looking at the inexpensive DPMS gun he listed it does have a 5.56 chamber and 4150 barrel steel. A 1/7 barrel twist is completely uneccessary for someone that is going to be shooting 55-62 gr. ammo. The HPT/MPI will weed out some of the flaws but you can easily replace a part in the slim chance there is a problem for the cost savings. Most companies will send you the part out for free if there was indeed a manufacturing problem.

5. TSU45

TSU45 Active Member

Jun 6, 2008
    San Marcos, Tx
  6. 1rightguy

1rightguy Active Member

Mar 25, 2009
    I have had extensive experience with Colt's, S&W's & Bushmaster's and some with Doublestars & DPMS. The last two, I would stay away from, but for the money, Bushmaster is tops.

7. brickboy240

brickboy240 Active Member

May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    If you can stand to spend a little more....you can get a Stag Model 2 from Class Three Weapons for about 850 bucks. Much better than the DPMS and Olympics and closer to the Colt and other top tier guns.

The Stags have a lifetime warranty and are put together really well. The Stag is VERY comparable to the Bushmasters but for some reason, Bushies around here sell in the 1000 dollar range. Bushy only has a year warranty wheras the Stag has a lifetime warranty.

I have perused all the Houston shops and this was the best deal I could find on a basic AR that was not a total compromise and not in the over 1000 dollar range.

Me? I'd stay away from the ARs that go under 800 bucks....their quality is just too iffy. You're already dropping alot of money...why not spend another 100 or so and get something that is tons better and stands a much better chance of being trouble free?

This is the route I am going...

- brickboy240

8. Apoptosis

Apoptosis New Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Lubbock
    What does it mean when a barrel has a 1x7 twist, or 1x9 twist? I've seen that a couple different times.

Why are the bargin bin rifles that cheap? Are the no name rifles, or just used?

For $1300, I could get a .308 AR-15 with a Bull Barrel and a bunch of goodies. Don't need something like that right off the bat. :mad0079:

9. Mate

Mate Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Houston
    Nevermind, I give up.

10. Bullseye Shooter

Bullseye Shooter Active Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    That refers to how fast the rifling is. 1 in 7 means the rifling makes one complete revolution every seven inches. The smaller the ratio, the faster the twist, i.e. 1 in 7 is faster than 1 in 9. A 1 in 7 will shoot heavy bullets like 77 to 90 grains really well but may spin lighter bullets too fast for good accuracy.

My RRA NM AR is 1 in 8. It seems to handle everything from 55 grains up to 80 with no problem. The 1 in 8 is not fast enough for the heavier 90 grain bullets.