• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stadlers1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2020
    San Antonio
    My last post "Information Overload" you all gave a lot of great advice. Last weekend my wife and daughter took a Daughters of Texas shooting class. She is now hooked and shot very well. Let's just say while not "center mass" she tore up the throat and clavicle area. She took notes on each of the 8 guns she fired and that made our decision easy. We decided on the S&W M&P 22LR or the Ruger SR 22 as a jumping off point. so we could afford lots of practice. In a few months when she and I are consistent we will move up to a higher caliber.

After looking online at both online retailers and local stores I decided that I needed to go into a few stores to start a relationship and see what was available. At each stop I explained that I was new to guns and what I was looking for and why. The first store the salesperson listened to me said "we don't have either of those" and then just stood there and looked at me. Didn't try to sell me anything or offer another option. Just stood there looking at me. The second store I couldn't get in. I had to knock on the door to get on a list and no one answered the door. Maybe I didn't knock hard enough but didn't want to be rude. I knocked quite a few times. The third store I went to I was essentially ignored.

Once I got home I looked inward to see if I was giving off some vibe or something. I wasn't dressed like the rest of the customers in the store. I had on athletic shorts and a T-shirt. I am a heavier individual maybe it was that. I am generally a pleasant person so I don't think I was giving off an angry vibe. I identified that I am new to guns so they should not have expected a lot of knowledge.

Every thing I have read about purchasing a firearm says to support your local gun shops. At this point I'm not really sure I want to, it would appear to me that they don't want my business. I figured if the shop didn't have what I was looking for they would offer to order it. I don't even know if that is a possibility and I should have asked. Any recommendations / advice about online retailers? or other options I may not be considering.
    Venture Surplus ad

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    My last post "Information Overload" you all gave a lot of great advice. Last weekend my wife and daughter took a Daughters of Texas shooting class. She is now hooked and shot very well. Let's just say while not "center mass" she tore up the throat and clavicle area. She took notes on each of the 8 guns she fired and that made our decision easy. We decided on the S&W M&P 22LR or the Ruger SR 22 as a jumping off point. so we could afford lots of practice. In a few months when she and I are consistent we will move up to a higher caliber.

After looking online at both online retailers and local stores I decided that I needed to go into a few stores to start a relationship and see what was available. At each stop I explained that I was new to guns and what I was looking for and why. The first store the salesperson listened to me said "we don't have either of those" and then just stood there and looked at me. Didn't try to sell me anything or offer another option. Just stood there looking at me. The second store I couldn't get in. I had to knock on the door to get on a list and no one answered the door. Maybe I didn't knock hard enough but didn't want to be rude. I knocked quite a few times. The third store I went to I was essentially ignored.

Once I got home I looked inward to see if I was giving off some vibe or something. I wasn't dressed like the rest of the customers in the store. I had on athletic shorts and a T-shirt. I am a heavier individual maybe it was that. I am generally a pleasant person so I don't think I was giving off an angry vibe. I identified that I am new to guns so they should not have expected a lot of knowledge.

Every thing I have read about purchasing a firearm says to support your local gun shops. At this point I'm not really sure I want to, it would appear to me that they don't want my business. I figured if the shop didn't have what I was looking for they would offer to order it. I don't even know if that is a possibility and I should have asked. Any recommendations / advice about online retailers? or other options I may not be considering.

I understand where you are coming from, but you need to step outside yourself and understand the current situation and how it's impacting everyone.

16 months ago you couldn't GET customers into a LGS for the most part. Anytime I ever walked into a LGS from 2016 until 2019 I got prompt service almost immediately. Fast Forward to April -- LGSes are selling everything they have on the shelves, faster than they can resupply it, fast forward to November.. They're out of almost everything, customers are being pissy with them, everything they are trying to restock is on backorder.

It's not you, it's the situation. I'd also call around to other gun stores. Politely explain," Hey-- I'm one of the 7 million new gun owners as is my wife and we're looking for these things" -- list what you're looking for and then ask "could you reach out to me when you have these things or when you think you will get them so I can put myself on a list to buy them? Then inquire about the price. It's going to be steep, it's just the way of the world right now.

EDIT-- Online retailers aren't going to be better. Most of them are out of stock or upcharging massively. Trying to call any of them right now is going to be a long hold or no answer. They aren't doing it on purpose. They are busier than they ever have been historically. Same situation. Selling out of everything within seconds of getting it in stock. Online you're competing with bots too, so keep that in mind.

Just out of curiosity what are you in the market for? Not asking if you want to buy, just trying to get information. We have a ton of members and might be able to fix you up. I personally have a 380 I've been trying to get rid of WITH AMMO for like 6 months.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Sadly, my experience with SA area gun shops mirrors yours. Its almost like they don't give a damn if you're there or not. Most of them, especially in current times, don't care because they know another guy will be right behind you. You'll just have to keep searching about until you find one you're comfortable with.

The smaller shops have a difficult time getting and keeping inventory. Getting what you want from them is almost always a time consuming struggle. Even in pre-covid times.

The Big Box stores like Academy or Bass Pro or Cabela's usually charge a bit more but do have something. The counter help can be anything from a high school kid who knows nothing to Mr. ex-CIA in Vietnam who ran missions up the Mekong(he is 43yrs old) and knows everything under God's heaven about guns to a crusty old coot who knows a lot but getting info out of is like pulling teeth.
    Do not listen to any B.S. from them.
    Research your choice before going in. Ask minimal questions. Buy it or leave.

These days I pretty much shop on-line exclusively.
    I use a local gun shop for FFL shipment purposes.

Buying face to face is another avenue you might explore. Many times this is the only way to obtain what you want in a timely manner.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Just out of curiosity what are you in the market for? Not asking if you want to buy, just trying to get information. We have a ton of members and might be able to fix you up. I personally have a 380 I've been trying to get rid of WITH AMMO for like 6 months.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This.

Also, have you tried Modern Elite? Very friendly, no attitude and though they may not carry a large inventory, Chris has always been more then happy to look into ordering something me.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    @TipBledsoe is a FFL near SA (I think) He might be able to help
    I understand where you are coming from, but you need to step outside yourself and understand the current situation and how it's impacting everyone.

16 months ago you couldn't GET customers into a LGS for the most part. Anytime I ever walked into a LGS from 2016 until 2019 I got prompt service almost immediately. Fast Forward to April -- LGSes are selling everything they have on the shelves, faster than they can resupply it, fast forward to November.. They're out of almost everything, customers are being pissy with them, everything they are trying to restock is on backorder.

It's not you, it's the situation. I'd also call around to other gun stores. Politely explain," Hey-- I'm one of the 7 million new gun owners as is my wife and we're looking for these things" -- list what you're looking for and then ask "could you reach out to me when you have these things or when you think you will get them so I can put myself on a list to buy them? Then inquire about the price. It's going to be steep, it's just the way of the world right now.

EDIT-- Online retailers aren't going to be better. Most of them are out of stock or upcharging massively. Trying to call any of them right now is going to be a long hold or no answer. They aren't doing it on purpose. They are busier than they ever have been historically. Same situation. Selling out of everything within seconds of getting it in stock. Online you're competing with bots too, so keep that in mind.

which 380?

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Might have to trek a bit further out if your local shops are not giving you the service you're looking for. Don't over look pawn shops in your area too - most pawn brokers are FFL's as well and while their prices are not always the best, in my experience pawn shops tend to have good customer service.

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This.

Also, have you tried Modern Elite? Very friendly, no attitude and though they may not carry a large inventory, Chris has always been more then happy to look into ordering something me.

I would second this. Chris' sister is a TGT forum member and may be able to help guide you as well (can't remember her TGT name). Also there is Ranger Firearms and Kellac (they generally sell police gear and supplies, but if you go in and talk to Brian, he may order one for you).

stadlers1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2020
    San Antonio
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This.

They were not one I went to but I will give them a shot. I really would rather establish a relationship instead of just an online interaction

stadlers1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2020
    San Antonio
    I would second this. Chris' sister is a TGT forum member and may be able to help guide you as well (can't remember her TGT name). Also there is Ranger Firearms and Kellac (they generally sell police gear and supplies, but if you go in and talk to Brian, he may order one for you).
    One of those is one of the ones I went to.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Nothing new. Even if panic buying wasn’t an issue op would still encounter bad customer service. Sometimes people just can’t admit their a pos. It’s as simple as that. You have good customer service or you don’t. You try to bring the customer back or you don’t care.

If a store can’t order anything then why stay open? Oh no...the pandemic causing hardship on gun store employees? Omg I hope their ok. No. Eat a big one. My work schedule has been abused before all this started. Been at my wits end numerous times. Customers deserve common courtesy.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I'm not sure what part of SA you're in, but I personally had a good experience with Armed In America Firearms on 281 in Bulverde - even though I was just there to browse and burn time, they were still very friendly and accommodating. And they have a pretty decent selection on hand - or at least they did when I was down there in May.

stadlers1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2020
    San Antonio
    I'm not sure what part of SA you're in, but I personally had a good experience with Armed In America Firearms on 281 in Bulverde - even though I was just there to browse and burn time, they were still very friendly and accommodating. And they have a pretty decent selection on hand - or at least they did when I was down there in May.
    I will add them to the list. Give it a shot this weekend

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas

I am a huge believer in training. I bought my grand girls a walther p22then 2 years and a few thousand rounds later, I bought a Walther almost exactly like the p22 in .380--they can train with cheap 22 then some 380 practice with identical safety, ergonomics , sight picture etc. Both are high quality weapons at the mid to lower price range. Lot's of valuable insights posted here... just my 2 cents worth.

stadlers1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2020
    San Antonio
    I am a huge believer in training. I bought my grand girls a walther p22then 2 years and a few thousand rounds later, I bought a Walther almost exactly like the p22 in .380--they can train with cheap 22 then some 380 practice with identical safety, ergonomics , sight picture etc. Both are high quality weapons at the mid to lower price range. Lot's of valuable insights posted here... just my 2 cents worth.
    That is the plan. She chose what she liked to shoot and I just went down to .22 in that series.

GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    It's not a San Antonio thing. I saw the same thing in Las Vegas, Cheyenne, New York New Jersey, Pennsylvania, etc.

The quality of counter help is as bad here as elsewhere, since a lot of them are only there to obtain an employee discount. Many shopkeepers think you owe them a living - the mentality is, 'shut up and give me your money'.

Do you know any gun owners who might be willing to accompany you to the stores?

stadlers1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2020
    San Antonio
    It's not a San Antonio thing. I saw the same thing in Las Vegas, Cheyenne, New York New Jersey, Pennsylvania, etc.

The quality of counter help is as bad here as elsewhere, since a lot of them are only there to obtain an employee discount. Many shopkeepers think you owe them a living - the mentality is, 'shut up and give me your money'.

Do you know any gun owners who might be willing to accompany you to the stores?
    I don't know any "avid" gun owners. Thats the reason I'm only considering new I don't know enough to look at a used weapon and know if it has been abused. I am going to try the other two stores mentioned and if don't get what I need I will order online. I have found what we want just wanted to use a local store.

Top Bottom