• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    I was gonna just let this thread die, considering the drama it caused, but I figure since I started it, I needed to at least give an answer as to what my decision was. I got the vaccine. Not sure if it was the “right” thing to do personally, but having 2 kids that still rely on my heath/dental/vision benefits (and to be honest, anyone with kids will understand, all 4 of my kids seem to need other financial help more often than I like!), it was financially beneficial to do it. The other places I considered going to, were going to pay less, have worse benefit packages, and 2 of the places I looked at made mention of similar vaccine mandates. I did get a pretty big raise, by telling management I was leaving, although that was offered after I got the first dose of the vaccine, but before I told the company. Even after I got the first dose, I had told my department head, that I still wasn’t 100% on my decision, but that I was not happy with my job, and the mandate was probably the push I needed to leave. An hour later I was called in and offered a substantial raise to stay. As it turns out, I was one of the last 2 holdouts in my department. The other one, is 65, and eligible for retirement, so he says he’s submitting his paperwork December 31st. Not sure if this decision makes me a “sellout “ or what, but I don’t feel great about it. Guess it just is what is now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No judgement here either.

And I know you said you would let this thread die.....

But there was a court decision to put a hold on the mandate yesterday. My company out a hold on their requirements the same day. I was s
    Looking at a layoff on Jan 4th but now it looks like I'll be able to work longer.

Has anything changed at your work? Could you have held out?

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    We've had a couple people interview in our dept this week. Their hospitals are requiring them to get vaccinated.
    I am looking at job postings almost daily now. I came across the first one yesterday that I have seen that included "must provide proof of Covid-19 vaccination to begin employment". Job was not of interest, so whatever, I guess.

I really struggle to understand why companies are going full tilt crazy on this stuff. It becomes more obvious every day that the vax is no silver bullet, has substantial risks, and there are very effective and affordable treatments for when you get the WuFlu.

Also, the vax manufacturers have been given immunity from liability, but does that extend to an employer that forces you to get it? Seems like they are putting themselves in a very risky position. Can you say "class action"?

Last edited:

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I am looking at job postings almost daily now. I came across the first one yesterday that I have seen that included "must provide proof of Covid-19 vaccination to begin employment". Job was not of interest, so whatever, I guess.

I really struggle to understand why companies are going full tilt crazy on this stuff. It becomes more obvious every day that the vax is not silver bullet, has substantial risks, and there are very effective and affordable treatments for when you get the WuFlu.

Also, the vax manufacturers have been given immunity from liability, but does that extend to an employer that forces you to get it? Seems like they are putting themselves in a very risky position. Can you say "class action"?
    Sounds reasonable, if you really like the job , then I suggest that you sit down with the employer and discuss the court situation then agree to get the jab if the courts decide it is legal to require it but do not waive legal action from any side effects.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Sounds reasonable, if you really like the job , then I suggest that you sit down with the employer and discuss the court situation then agree to get the jab if the courts decide it is legal to require it but do not waive legal action from any side effects.
    Good luck with that lawsuit.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I was gonna just let this thread die, considering the drama it caused, but I figure since I started it, I needed to at least give an answer as to what my decision was. I got the vaccine. Not sure if it was the “right” thing to do personally, but having 2 kids that still rely on my heath/dental/vision benefits (and to be honest, anyone with kids will understand, all 4 of my kids seem to need other financial help more often than I like!), it was financially beneficial to do it. The other places I considered going to, were going to pay less, have worse benefit packages, and 2 of the places I looked at made mention of similar vaccine mandates. I did get a pretty big raise, by telling management I was leaving, although that was offered after I got the first dose of the vaccine, but before I told the company. Even after I got the first dose, I had told my department head, that I still wasn’t 100% on my decision, but that I was not happy with my job, and the mandate was probably the push I needed to leave. An hour later I was called in and offered a substantial raise to stay. As it turns out, I was one of the last 2 holdouts in my department. The other one, is 65, and eligible for retirement, so he says he’s submitting his paperwork December 31st. Not sure if this decision makes me a “sellout “ or what, but I don’t feel great about it. Guess it just is what is now.

Well look at it this way, you got one hell of a raise. No one should be judging you, it's your choice to do what you like. I appreciate you following up.

ScottDLS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas

I think your decision was absolutely fine, particularly given your situation. The key words here are YOUR DECISION! The really infuriating thing about the Federal mandates is, they are unconstitutional and unnecessary. If the shots work as they say, they protect the recipient, not the other guy. Your getting them or not should be no one's business but your own. You had the guts to stand up and tell your employer that you were not happy with their requirement. Even though they kept it, they signaled that they need you by giving you a raise. I am personally strongly opposed to a mandate, but I got the Pfizer shots on my own because I JUDGED they were to my benefit after researching. I work for military contractor and when we return to office work I would have had to have them to get in Federal facilities to work.

I think you made a personal decision in your own interest and the only bad part was someone made you do something you weren't comfortable with and shouldn't have been required. Also my own opinion is the shots are not dangerous for most adults and likely provide some benefit, though it's unconscionable that people are pressured to get them.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!

I really struggle to understand why companies are going full tilt crazy on this stuff. It becomes more obvious every day that the vax is no silver bullet, has substantial risks, and there are very effective and affordable treatments for when you get the WuFlu.

Here's one major reason...the Federal government is mandating it!

I started a new job within the DoD on 1 Dec. One of the first conditions of employment was being fully vaccinated.

As for your class action lawsuit claim, good luck with that! Their job, their rules; and if it doesn't violate state and Federal employment laws, they have every right to require what they wish!

ScottDLS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
    Here's one major reason...the Federal government is mandating it!

I started a new job within the DoD on 1 Dec. One of the first conditions of employment was being fully vaccinated.

As for your class action lawsuit claim, good luck with that! Their job, their rules; and if it doesn't violate state and Federal employment laws, they have every right to require what they wish!
    If we had a gov like DeSantis instead of Abbott we might have a state law against employer mandates. Florida does.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

Cody I think that's the nature of parenthood. You do things you hate to do to take of your family. I did it for years until I was able to have my own firm which allowed me to do only what I want to do. Its what dad's do. Don't apologize to anyone for doing it.

We all got a reason.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Got this in an email from TWC yesterday saying read attached in regards to Abbots executive order. Supposed to have been sent to every employer in Texas.

Attachments

• Letter_Employers_COVID_19_Vac_Mandate.pdf
      834.7 KB · Views: 90

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    So far there have been seven challenges resulting in stays for every Biden mandate except the Fed employee mandate; quietly, the administration has changed tactics to state there is no punitive action available for fed employees who are not compliant.

It appears the only legal options available are to collect vaccine status and to have different rules for vaccinated employees vs unvaccinated. That decision is being challenged in courts as well.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    So far there have been seven challenges resulting in stays for every Biden mandate except the Fed employee mandate; quietly, the administration has changed tactics to state there is no punitive action available for fed employees who are not compliant.

It appears the only legal options available are to collect vaccine status and to have different rules for vaccinated employees vs unvaccinated. That decision is being challenged in courts as well.

Except in the military...

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Except in the military...

Navy and Marine Corps already passed their deadline with the same threats before hand. Then the press went silent. Last article I was able to find said folks "might not" be able to re-enlist when it's time. No talk of discharge or loss of rank or NJP that I've seen.

With Russia eyeing Ukraine, China eyeing Tiawan, and both of them talking to each other (and possibly coordinating), forced reduction of personnel sounds almost as stupid as how we pulled out of Afghanistan.

So who the hell knows what we'll see.

Top Bottom