• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RevolverGuy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2013
    Yes, I hate hunting over corn, but trying to setup for my son to bag his first easily and me to cap some hogs.

This will be on my own property and the feeder will be there year-round as part of a wildlife management plan (tax exemption) so I’d like something durable but would like to stay under $300. There so damn many.

I’m in Fort Worth and property is in Jacksboro, so I’m fine with going anywhere from Dallas out to Graham to pick one up.

Thanks!
    Guns International

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Buy once, cry once. Go steel for the barrel; Plastic gets chewed by varmints too easily. And make sure to put a big enough varmint guard on it so the 'coons can't reach the spinner. I hate climbing, so mine crank down from the tripod, but there are decent automatic feeders that sit low to the ground too.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Build your own. Steel drum, timer, and build the legs out of whatever you can make work.

The prices on prebuilt feeders are outrageous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    HEB has an American Hunter Tripod deer feeder for $123.58; it uses a 55 gallon steel drum. My brother bought one and was happy with what he got for his money, but him being him, he built a different tripod so he could use a winch to raise and lower the drum.

RevolverGuy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2013
    Build your own. Steel drum, timer, and build the legs out of whatever you can make work.

The prices on prebuilt feeders are outrageous.

What’s a good build kit?

My dad & I built some back in the early ‘90s using steel 55-gallon drums & Spin Cast kits.

Back then the controller boards were none too reliable. I had to install new boards about every other year a $50 per.

Durability/reliability are key for me. I don’t care about bells & whistles, though I would like a solar kit so I don’t have to replace batteries 3x per year.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Get one with a funnel on the inside and not a flat bottom. You can make your own funnel if need be but it will help keep the corn fresh and not let it sour.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    What’s a good build kit?

My dad & I built some back in the early ‘90s using steel 55-gallon drums & Spin Cast kits.

Back then the controller boards were none too reliable. I had to install new boards about every other year a $50 per.

Durability/reliability are key for me. I don’t care about bells & whistles, though I would like a solar kit so I don’t have to replace batteries 3x per year.

Not sure about any kits.

I just bought a drum for around $15, mounted some legs to it, and then mounted whichever timer I wanted.

It can be as simple or as complicated as you choose. Have one it the yard right now with legs made of 1” square tubing that’s welded to 3X5 weld clips. Those are just bolted straight through the sides of the drum.

RevolverGuy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2013
    Not sure about any kits.

I just bought a drum for around $15, mounted some legs to it, and then mounted whichever timer I wanted.

It can be as simple or as complicated as you choose. Have one it the yard right now with legs made of 1” square tubing that’s welded to 3X5 weld clips. Those are just bolted straight through the sides of the drum.

Well yeah that’s what I mean, the motor & timer.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/game-winner®-200-lb-mini-silo-vp-feeder#repChildCatid=3637756

I've had this one running constantly since early 2015.
    Added a solar battery charger. Replaced the battery once.
    Hogs haven't knocked it over, like they have my neighbors.
    I staked the legs with 18" rebar. Coons have tried to defeat the guard more times than I can remember. It's still intact.

I couldn't be happier with it. You'll see it in many trail camera photos in a thread here somewhere.

ETA: https://www.texasguntalk.com/threads/trail-camera-pics.63788/

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    d2f6c53b4a7a281ee53ec8d55e709fd2.jpg

Get one of these. You won’t regret it.

I got mine I’m Waco, but there is a place in Burleson that sells them too.

Attachments

• d2f6c53b4a7a281ee53ec8d55e709fd2.jpg
      d2f6c53b4a7a281ee53ec8d55e709fd2.jpg
      77.5 KB · Views: 624

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    It’s made by a guy at Moceks in Waco. But others make them.

Search tripod feeder or hanging barrel.

The one in that pic I purchased. But I also made my own by buying a barrel feeder at Academy, then buying the legs (14' work best), the barrel yoke and the tripod head. Its actually pretty easy. Oh, and the winch, gotta have that winch.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom