• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Years back - I was at my brother's house almost an hour after I was supposed to have been on my way home to my wife. Pre cell phones, so he got the call from my wife. I heard an extremely excited wife screaming "how do I reload this thing" to my brother.

Before he had to sell out the fact that I had not left, he talked her down and we learned that a mouse had run into my kitchen from the back yard. She had run for the 30/30 and fired at the mouse in my kitchen. My brother talked her into putting the gun down and going upstairs till I got home.

Fast forward 1.5 hours (Houston to Bryan) and I arrive home to find a mouse DRT in the middle of my kitchen and my 30/30 on the kitchen table. I was amazed. I hadn't taught her how to shoot and it had been at least 6 years since that rifle had even been fired.

She did NOT hit the mouse. The concussion dropped the mouse and the round left a 30 caliber hole in my dishwasher. I did not perform an autopsy, but I am certain that there were zero 30 caliber holes in the dead mouse. So a 50BMG doing that to a little doe is quite reasonable from my limited experience with my first x wifes scaled down experiment.

FWIW - I did realize I needed to teach her how to shoot or remove the rifle. She insisted she'd be shooting at uninvited 4 legged visitors if she saw another and the rifle was sold the very next day.
    Lynx Defense

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Years back - I was at my brother's house almost an hour after I was supposed to have been on my way home to my wife. Pre cell phones, so he got the call from my wife. I heard an extremely excited wife screaming "how do I reload this thing" to my brother.

Before he had to sell out the fact that I had not left, he talked her down and we learned that a mouse had run into my kitchen from the back yard. She had run for the 30/30 and fired at the mouse in my kitchen. My brother talked her into putting the gun down and going upstairs till I got home.

Fast forward 1.5 hours (Houston to Bryan) and I arrive home to find a mouse DRT in the middle of my kitchen and my 30/30 on the kitchen table. I was amazed. I hadn't taught her how to shoot and it had been at least 6 years since that rifle had even been fired.

She did NOT hit the mouse. The concussion dropped the mouse and the round left a 30 caliber hole in my dishwasher. I did not perform an autopsy, but I am certain that there were zero 30 caliber holes in the dead mouse. So a 50BMG doing that to a little doe is quite reasonable from my limited experience with my first x wifes scaled down experiment.

FWIW - I did realize I needed to teach her how to shoot or remove the rifle. She insisted she'd be shooting at uninvited 4 legged visitors if she saw another and the rifle was sold the very next day.
    How close from the end of the barrel to the mouse?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    How close from the end of the barrel to the mouse?

This.

I have knocked out snakes due to concussion, but only in water and only temporarily. Snakes are also very sensitive to vibrations through their lower jaw.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Through the eyes is my guess too. 50 bmg is too much of a round to slow down or deform unless it hits some really solid mass. The guy should have bought a lotto ticket after that shot since those have similar odds.

Vacuum sucking both eyeballs out but not damaging any other body parts? I don't believe eyes pop out that easily, escpecially from the other side of the head. And even if they did, that wouldn't cause an instantaneously kill, just a blind deer in a lot of pain and confusion.

tackshot

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    Ft. Hood
    Skip to the 3 minute mark if you just want the good part. It doesn't go like you imagine it will.

Being in the military especially in a combat MOS we've always heard that anything within 5m of that projectile will rip off limbs . Cool to see that , that particular rumor is kinda true lol

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Being in the military especially in a combat MOS we've always heard that anything within 5m of that projectile will rip off limbs . Cool to see that , that particular rumor is kinda true lol

It's not. No even a little bit.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I'm sure the blast from the muzzle can have devastating effects, and I'm not sure of the distance, but I'm sure that blast didn't reach out to that deer.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Or why they blow the BMG away despite having half the energy or less Assuming you use a BMG bullet that expands.

But as mentioned, irrelevant to the point of the thread. Not uncommon for TGT...

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Then again, a 50 BMG strike with no structural damage?
    In the side view of the head, I note what seems to be an abnormal profile to the dome of the skull, above the eyes. That looks like structural damage to me.

Also, I see what looks like cut hide (not just blood spatter) from the right eye, on a line over towards (not reaching) the left eye.

The video is frustrating in that it doesn't show enough, clearly enough, nor does it show an autopsy. The hunter also never shows the left side of the face. However, at the 5:46 mark, the doe almost faces the camera and it looks like the left eyeball is still in place.

Here's a theory - if the bullet clipped the front of the face, impacting bone just a smidge toward the centerline from the right eyeball, that would explain the:
    • cut
    • mangled right eye
    • popped, possibly shattered, skull, and
    • blood from the mouth.
    I'm sure pretty much anyone on TGT has more deer hunting experience than me so I ask, is this theory reasonable?

For comparison -

Normal:

TF9Ibkm.jpg

From video:

EPhk6NW.png

BLGGhcl.png
    EPhk6NW

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    The old saying "close only counts in hand grenades and horseshoes " applies here. That deer was hit by a projectile.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Vacuum sucking both eyeballs out but not damaging any other body parts? I don't believe eyes pop out that easily, escpecially from the other side of the head. And even if they did, that wouldn't cause an instantaneously kill, just a blind deer in a lot of pain and confusion.

This is the truth. The eyes do not pop out easily at all and removing them is unlikely to kill you. If it did kill you it would be in hours due to bleeding or days/weeks due to infection.

Top Bottom