• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I haven’t deer hunted in probably 30 years. This year I have 3 offers of people wanting me to go with them and I’ve got the itch to get back out there. I have been looking at getting an old Remington 721 30.06 from a local pawn shop. It was actually the same model as the first rifle I can remember shooting with my grandpa. When I saw the rifle last week, i almost bought it on the spot just because! Surprisingly I controlled myself. After thinking about it, and getting another offer to hunt, I decided I “need” a bolt action 30.06 anyway, so may as well buy it. But not sure whether or not it’s practical to buy a 60 year old rifle, or get a new Remington 700 or Savage. I just can’t stand synthetic stocks on hunting rifles. And that old Remington keeps calling my name!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I haven’t deer hunted in probably 30 years. This year I have 3 offers of people wanting me to go with them and I’ve got the itch to get back out there. I have been looking at getting an old Remington 721 30.06 from a local pawn shop. It was actually the same model as the first rifle I can remember shooting with my grandpa. When I saw the rifle last week, i almost bought it on the spot just because! Surprisingly I controlled myself. After thinking about it, and getting another offer to hunt, I decided I “need” a bolt action 30.06 anyway, so may as well buy it. But not sure whether or not it’s practical to buy a 60 year old rifle, or get a new Remington 700 or Savage. I just can’t stand synthetic stocks on hunting rifles. And that old Remington keeps calling my name!

I'd buy that Model 721 in a heartbeat! That is the precursor to the Model 700. They share many of the same features and structure. Not so sure about in current times, but they use to be very highly desirable rifles.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    No one has asked the question; "where are you going to hunt?"

.30-06 is a great choice for most game animals in the US, so I agree with your rifle wish list.

For the hill country, I prefer .270 for shots under 300 yards with not too much brush and trees and gets the job done quickly and is forgiving. .30-30, 7mm-08, and .308 are great for the brush and grassland.

Are you hunting from a blind, or stalking?
    What's your anticipated shot distance?

Lots to consider

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    No one has asked the question; "where are you going to hunt?"

.30-06 is a great choice for most game animals in the US, so I agree with your rifle wish list.

For the hill country, I prefer .270 for shots under 300 yards with not too much brush and trees and gets the job done quickly and is forgiving. .30-30, 7mm-08, and .308 are great for the brush and grassland.

Are you hunting from a blind, or stalking?
    What's your anticipated shot distance?

Lots to consider

1 of the hunts will be in East Texas, out of a blind and the other is a guided hunt on a low fence ranch in South Texas, again out of a blind. The 3rd one is still in the planning stages but most likely will be similar to the guided hunt on a ranch somewhere in South Texas.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    What is a guided hunt out of a blind?
    Does it just mean someone accompanies you, in the blind, and is paid?

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Guided may be the wrong word. They have what they call guides that basically drive you and put you in a blind, then come back in a few hours and get you.

Guides that drive you to the deer stand, go back and drink all day, then forget you are even out there...

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I’m out of town right now so I called the shop to talk to the guy about the rifle. He said the bore is in excellent condition. I told him if it is I’ll buy it when I get back to town Monday and can inspect it. Should have done it when I first looked at it, but I was trying hard NOT to buy it! Now I’m gonna need a scope for it!

Reactions: MTA

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

CocyK,

May I suggest any of the OLD-SCHOOL REMINTON Model 760 rifles/carbine instead of ANY semi-auto rifle.
    (My Model 760 rifles are just as quick for a 2ND shot & about as accurate as any "out of the box" bolt action.)

Further, I see nothing wrong with the later Model 7600 either, except the Model 760 is "generally" 50 or more bucks less money, in the same physical condition. - IMO, the Model 7600 is NOT worth any more money than the 7600 is.
    (Fyi, I own both models.)

250-300 bucks should buy you "a decent used example" of either pump-rifle & for 300.oo, you MAY get a decent used scope mounted on it.

just my OPINION, satx

Cityboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Fredericksburg, TX

A 721 in 30-06 was my first new rifle. Took it with me to Pakistan and hunted antelope and boar there unsuccessfully--my fault not the rifle's. Think I paid $100 for it--wish I had kept it. My recommendation? If the price is reasonable and the bore is clean, BUY IT!

Cityboy

Top Bottom