• ...and so much more!
  • Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I haven’t deer hunted in probably 30 years. This year I have 3 offers of people wanting me to go with them and I’ve got the itch to get back out there. I have been looking at getting an old Remington 721 30.06 from a local pawn shop. It was actually the same model as the first rifle I can remember shooting with my grandpa. When I saw the rifle last week, i almost bought it on the spot just because! Surprisingly I controlled myself. After thinking about it, and getting another offer to hunt, I decided I “need” a bolt action 30.06 anyway, so may as well buy it. But not sure whether or not it’s practical to buy a 60 year old rifle, or get a new Remington 700 or Savage. I just can’t stand synthetic stocks on hunting rifles. And that old Remington keeps calling my name!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Go with your heart. Classic cars Classic rifles Classy women.. can't go wrong! I hunt with a 1930's guild built Mauser in 30-06, but my first $70 rifle was a Remington in 270, I have Steyr SIG Sako and a custom .. none have taken more game that that old Remington.
    DK Firearms

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    The guide takes you out explains the terrain and game routes plus he knows the scouting reports for weeks. Kinda high cost and just not my style, maybe when I get older! Just 71 now.

Yep, that’s pretty much it. There is a group of 10 old friends I know, that’s has gotten together and done this hunt every year, and last year a couple of the older gentlemen backed out due to concerns about Covid,so I took one of their spots. It was well worth the money. I had a great time, an experience I will never forget. It was $1,000 for 4 days and 3 nights. There were 6 hunts and the $1,000 included a doe and a hog (I think an extra hog was $50 or $100 and an extra doe was $200 maybe) and normally if you wanted to take a buck, pricing depends on the deer, but they get a pretty good deal, where it’s a flat rate of $1,000 no matter how big the buck is. All the food and drinks (beer and liquor included) were provided. Facilities were as good as any hotel I’ve stayed in. They had a high fence area also, if you wanted to shell out some extra money and shoot an aoudad or red stag or an axis or something like that. For some, I’m sure it’s “not hunting” to do it this way, but I’m glad I did. I don’t take vacations, or go out and spend money on myself much (GUNS DONT COUNT) so spending $1,000 to do this was worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Many years ago, Remington made some lightweight 22 caliber bullets inserted into a sabot into a 30-06 case. I am thinking they were called "Accelerator" ammo, or something similar. Never shot any, and they were suppose to be for varmint hunting or similar. Always wanted to try some out to see just how accurate they were.

G23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2019
    Houston, Texas
    I'd go old school with the Remington. I hunt mostly South Texas and my primary gun is an older Ruger M77 (1970's, tang safety useless red rubber butt pad). I have several other newer "nicer" rifles, but that old Ruger always makes the cut.

LokiMack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Milam county
    Many years ago, Remington made some lightweight 22 caliber bullets inserted into a sabot into a 30-06 case. I am thinking they were called "Accelerator" ammo, or something similar. Never shot any, and they were suppose to be for varmint hunting or similar. Always wanted to try some out to see just how accurate they were.

The 30-06 Accelerator carried a 55 grain soft point bullet. Accuracy seemed to suffer slightly when compared to traditional style rounds. I have a REM. Woodmaster pump that I was running the accelerator through, then I switched to the 168 gr Hog Hammer when the rifle‘s purpose was changed.
    I still have a couple of boxes left. If memory serves, they made the accelerator in other calibers also; 30-30 comes to mind as one.

Attachments

• B2587DFD-F2E3-493E-9C17-D2314AE78DB6.jpeg
      B2587DFD-F2E3-493E-9C17-D2314AE78DB6.jpeg
      186.3 KB · Views: 79

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    1. Get the '06.
    2. Make sure the shop throws in a box of ammo. (Hey, ammo is tough to find.)
    3. Remember that no matter how good the rifle is, you are still limited by the optics. Spend the money to get a decent scope (Leupold, Nikon, etc.)
    4. When you sight-in, you can use a sled or a ton of sand bags, but you had better fire some shots the same way as when you hunt. If you don't, chances are good you won't hit where you think you will.

Top Bottom