• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    The 30.06 or a .308 will do a fine job on most Texas deer. I'd rather have a 60 year old rifle that works good than buy a new gun.
    Most? :cool: Just raggin on you....

I haven't seen a deer in Texas that a decent 260 Rem wouldn't drop like a hot rock. I know that some deer get bigger than others, but Texas whitetails are generally on the medium-small size.
    ARJ Defense ad

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    If you tell me the name of the pawn shop, I'll run right over and get it, and I promise to save it for you. Just as a favor, of course.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I got the 721. And it got me 2 deer! They are DELICIOUS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CodyK,

CONGRADS. = It's really difficult TO BEAT BEING 2 for 2.

A goal "to shoot for" is TO BEAT or TIE my 1st cousin's (RANDY) record of getting his WT buck every season for 28 YEARS in a row.
    (FYI, I'm doing good to "score" 1 in 3 trips.)

yours, satx

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    CodyK,

CONGRADS. = It's really difficult TO BEAT BEING 2 for 2.

A goal "to shoot for" is TO BEAT or TIE my 1st cousin's (RANDY) record of getting his WT buck every season for 28 YEARS in a row.
    (FYI, I'm doing good to "score" 1 in 3 trips.)

yours, satx

I can’t brag too much, It was a hunting ranch. They drove me to a stand, 100 yards from a feeder. It’s not like when I was growing up going bow hunting with my uncle. That was hunting! We’d go scout spots all year, then when it seemed to be the coldest weekend of the year, we would go find a spot and try not to move for hours and hope the deer walked by AND we could get a shot on it!

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Most? :cool: Just raggin on you....

I haven't seen a deer in Texas that a decent 260 Rem wouldn't drop like a hot rock. I know that some deer get bigger than others, but Texas whitetails are generally on the medium-small size.

hornetguy,

My niece (TARA) believes that my (circa 1957-58) Model 760 (that she borrowed so often that I finally told her to: JUST KEEP IT.) in .244 REM is "enough gun" for WT, mule deer & pronghorns. = Given her "success rate", a .244 REM with 90 grain JHP at 3200FPS must be "plenty of gun".
    (Fwiw, I paid 60 bucks OTD for the rifle, which LOOKED "brand new", with a "partial box of shells", in OCT 1965 from a Hot Springs, AR pawn shop. = The pawnbroker told me that, "You don't want that thing. You can't even hardly buy shells for it".)

yours, satx

Last edited:

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    hornetguy,

My niece (TARA) believes that my (circa 1957-58) Model 760 (that she borrowed so often that I finally told her to: JUST KEEP IT.) in .244 REM is "enough gun" for WT, mule deer & pronghorns. = Given her "success rate", a .244 REM with 90 grain JHP at 3200FPS must be "plenty of gun".
    (Fwiw, I paid 60 bucks OTD for the rifle, with a "partial box of shells", in OCT 1965 from a Hot Springs, AR pawn shop. = The pawnbroker told me that, "You don't want that thing. You can't even hardly buy shells for it".)

yours, satx
    Am I mistaken, is the .244 the same thing as the 6mm Rem? Just different names? I always thought the 6mm was a "better .243". My go-to deer rifle is a sporterized 6.5 Swedish mauser. It hasn't failed to do one-shot-drops for me yet.
    I think some of it is due to the high ballistic coefficient of the 140gr bullet I load. They penetrate like nothing else I've used. I honestly think it is a better deer rifle than my .308 is.
    I like the way Tara thinks.... :)

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Am I mistaken, is the .244 the same thing as the 6mm Rem? Just different names? I always thought the 6mm was a "better .243". My go-to deer rifle is a sporterized 6.5 Swedish mauser. It hasn't failed to do one-shot-drops for me yet.
    I think some of it is due to the high ballistic coefficient of the 140gr bullet I load. They penetrate like nothing else I've used. I honestly think it is a better deer rifle than my .308 is.

hornetguy,

The ONLY differences in the .244REM & 6mmREM is the rifles marked .244REM will not usually stabilize bullets over 95 grains (1 turn in 12" ) as Remington changed the "twist rate" to one turn in NINE inches to stabilize longer bullets up to 120 grains AND the case head-stamp..

Fwiw, the "high-speed loads" for the 6mmREM are about 150-200FPS faster than the factory loads for the .243, when using bullets of the same weight. - I doubt that a deer/pronghorn hit by either bullet will know the difference.

THREE of the GOOD things about the .244/6mm & .243 as deer/antelope cartridges are "adequate power" for deer-size game, FLAT trajectory & LOW RECOIL.
    (In the case of "Tara's pet rifle", it has REALLY low recoil, as I wanted more length in the stock so I fitted it with a recoil pad & put a 4X Redfield & rings/mount on the little rifle.)

As Model 760 rifles in .244REM are NOW "collector's items", Tara has been offered "significant money" for her "pet rifle" by several collectors. = She always says, "My uncle gave it to me; it's just NOT for sale."

yours, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

hornetguy,

YES, the 140 grain JSP for the 6.5 Swede penetrates DEEP & KILLS WELL.

FYI, the same is true of a 120 grain JHP that BARNES (at least used to offer. - I don't see it in their data sheet now) & that was well-known as capable of shooting clear through a "Mulie"/pronghorn out well past 200M & "mushrooming well", too. = That "long pencil-like" bullet at over 3200FPS was known "out West" to be "A KILLER" on mule deer & antelope.

yours, satx

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    hornetguy,

YES, the 140 grain JSP for the 6.5 Swede penetrates DEEP & KILLS WELL.

FYI, the same is true of a 120 grain JHP that BARNES (at least used to offer. - I don't see it in their data sheet now) & that was well-known as capable of shooting clear through a "Mulie"/pronghorn out well past 200M & "mushrooming well", too. = That "long pencil-like" bullet at over 3200FPS was known "out West" to be "A KILLER" on mule deer & antelope.

yours, satx
    Yes... and the 6.5 has such a fast twist, it'll stabilize up to at least a 160gr bullet. I think that is what the military ammo was, originally. Talk about a pencil like bullet!
    I load mine fairly "middlin".... I shoot the 140gr at about 2650fps. Comfortable to shoot, and will stay in an inch all day long, as long as I don't jerk the trigger. Great deer rifle.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

hornetguy,

BTW, speaking of loads that OUT-PERFORM what one would usually expect, a 250 grain JSP in .30 caliber out of a handloaded .30-06 is the "ballistic twin" of the "well-regarded in Africa" .318 Westley-Richards.
    (Some .30-06 rifles will stabilize a bullet that "long for caliber" & some will NOT. - Rifles are quite individual in what loads/bullets that they will do well with. = My old Remington Model 700BDL left-hand rifle did well with my 250 grain JSP handloads.)

NOTE: The .318 Westley-Richards, in the hands of "a cool shot" has collected MANY a Cape Buffalo, Rhino, Hippo, Lion/Tiger & even elephant.
    Thus I would expect that the 250 grain JSP .30-06 handload at 2500FPS should be "ENOUGH GUN" for ANY game in the Western Hemisphere, including the BIG BEARS/moose.

yours, satx

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    hornetguy,

BTW, speaking of loads that OUT-PERFORM what one would usually expect, a 250 grain JSP in .30 caliber out of a handloaded .30-06 is the "ballistic twin" of the "well-regarded in Africa" .318 Westley-Richards.
    (Some .30-06 rifles will stabilize a bullet that "long for caliber" & some will NOT. - Rifles are quite individual in what loads/bullets that they will do well with. = My old Remington Model 700BDL left-hand rifle did well with my 250 grain JSP handloads.)

NOTE: The .318 Westley-Richards, in the hands of "a cool shot" has collected MANY a Cape Buffalo, Rhino, Hippo, Lion/Tiger & even elephant.
    Thus I would expect that the 250 grain JSP .30-06 handload at 2500FPS should be "ENOUGH GUN" for ANY game in the Western Hemisphere, including the BIG BEARS/moose.

yours, satx
    I agree... the 30-06 is good for just about anything in North America. About 20 years ago, me and a guy I worked with decided we would build us a couple of 35 Whelen rifles. I had a 1909 Argentine mauser, and we got Adams and Bennet barrels. I built mine, for the time when I would get to go elk hunting. I'm still working on that trip, and hope to do it while I still can. At my age, the physical requirements are beginning to be more than I'm up to. I want to do a cow elk hunt on one of the reservations over in New Mexico, if I can ever get drawn for it. It's pretty affordable, so I'm still hopeful. I know the 35 will be enough for any cow elk that walks, so "hope springs eternal"....

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I agree... the 30-06 is good for just about anything in North America. About 20 years ago, me and a guy I worked with decided we would build us a couple of 35 Whelen rifles. I had a 1909 Argentine mauser, and we got Adams and Bennet barrels. I built mine, for the time when I would get to go elk hunting. I'm still working on that trip, and hope to do it while I still can. At my age, the physical requirements are beginning to be more than I'm up to. I want to do a cow elk hunt on one of the reservations over in New Mexico, if I can ever get drawn for it. It's pretty affordable, so I'm still hopeful. I know the 35 will be enough for any cow elk that walks, so "hope springs eternal"....

hornetguy,

FYI, the .30-06 with a 250 grain JSP/solid is a much SUPERIOR KILLER than any SAFE load for the .35 Whelen will ever be.
    (The 250 grain EQUIVILENT LOAD to the .318 Westley-Richards, at least on HEAVY GAME, PENETRATES FAR DEEPER & makes a more severe wound than the.35 Whelen does. - Even on Cape Buffalo the 250 grain .30-06 bullet will "pass through" both sides of a Cape Buffs torso, even from a less than a 30 degree angle.)

FWIW, an old Army friend of mine took an Asian Gaur (One of the toughest animals on Planet Earth) with one shot to the torso of the animal from 112 long steps, using a "sporterized" 1903 Springfield with a "quick twist" SHILEN barrel, using a 250 grain SOLID. = Corey said that the Guar took 2 unsteady steps & then collapsed w/o a sound.
    (Some of the male Gaur weigh 3300-3500 pounds & stand up to 7 feet tall at the shoulder.)
    Corey further said that he was asked to KILL the bull Gaur, by a National Police CPT, because it had "utterly destroyed" a ONE TON MAIL TRUCK. - The bull weighed about 2500 pounds.

yours, satx

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    35 Whelen Vs. 30-06.......

As you can see, though the .30-06 is no slouch, the .35 Whelen is significantly more powerful, particularly at close range. On the other hand, the .30-06 has a flatter trajectory. The .35 Whelen and 9.3x62mm Mauser have very similar ballistics with the 9.3×62 having a slight edge in power and with the Whelen having a slightly flatter trajectory.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I haven’t deer hunted in probably 30 years. This year I have 3 offers of people wanting me to go with them and I’ve got the itch to get back out there. I have been looking at getting an old Remington 721 30.06 from a local pawn shop. It was actually the same model as the first rifle I can remember shooting with my grandpa. When I saw the rifle last week, i almost bought it on the spot just because! Surprisingly I controlled myself. After thinking about it, and getting another offer to hunt, I decided I “need” a bolt action 30.06 anyway, so may as well buy it. But not sure whether or not it’s practical to buy a 60 year old rifle, or get a new Remington 700 or Savage. I just can’t stand synthetic stocks on hunting rifles. And that old Remington keeps calling my name!

Well, I don't see where gaur, or other foreign stuff figure into the discussion.
    I'm kindly slow and need some help now and then though.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Well, I don't see where gaur, or other foreign stuff figure into the discussion.
    I'm kindly slow and need some help now and then though.

Vaquero,

I'm sure that "foreign stuff" has little to do the rest of the discussion but thought that "hornetguy, if nobody else, would be interested in what a .30-06 with a 250 grain bullet will do.
    (ANY MEMBER who is NOT interested in my post is FREE to "just scroll on by".- I will NOT be offended in the least by that act.)

yours, satx

Top Bottom