• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    I bought 100 pieces of Winchester 30-06 brass at Cabelas on Friday. I got around to loading it up for my M-1 Garand this morning. 10 pieces had strange marks on them, like splits, but they weren't actually split. I assumed this was done when they were being formed. Most were on the necks, with two showing on the necks and body. I culled them out and loaded the rest. Has anyone else experienced this? I think a 10% loss rate for NEW brass is a little excessive. I'm thinking of taking the ten bad ones back and showing Cabelas but I imagine they are gonna tell me to take it up with Winchester.
    Venture Surplus ad

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    I've used their .308 brass and its been good. Call Winchester. Maybe you'll get lucky and they send a bag to you.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have seen others having the same issue. It appears to be a crease and the brass is folded over.

10% sounds about like what I am hearing but I haven't heard any follow up reports on what Winchester is doing about it.

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    Good idea, ed308. I've bought this brass there before and had no problems. I really like Remington brass better but Cabelas usually only stocks the Winchester in that caliber.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Is it really a hard crease or just a scratch like a line from the forming die?
    If it's the latter it should be fine.
    Please post pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    Well, I called Winchester today and after pushing buttons forever, I finally got a live person to talk to. One of the rudest bitches you can imagine! I explained why I was calling and she said I needed customer service, which is what I had dialed. After numerous clicks and other noise, I found out she had disconnected me! It will be Remington brass for my old Garand from now on.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Found this picture of somebody else with similar issues. He crushed the ones in the background with pliers. That isn't what the issue is.

42a0e7ad6f9de0fa604848f3a725775a.jpg

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    Yeah, guess I'll try again. Went to the range and the ones that that had the neck creases when fired, showed a weird crease down into the body of the case. The rest looked like normal fired cases. I would post pics, but I honestly don't know how. I'm almost 72 and not much up on the technology. lol!

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Yeah, guess I'll try again. Went to the range and the ones that that had the neck creases when fired, showed a weird crease down into the body of the case. The rest looked like normal fired cases. I would post pics, but I honestly don't know how. I'm almost 72 and not much up on the technology. lol!
    PM sent to help.

catch 22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2017
    Cut-n-Shoot, Texas
    Well, I called Winchester today and after pushing buttons forever, I finally got a live person to talk to. One of the rudest bitches you can imagine! I explained why I was calling and she said I needed customer service, which is what I had dialed. After numerous clicks and other noise, I found out she had disconnected me! It will be Remington brass for my old Garand from now on.

I quit buying Winchester anything years ago........I would call back, if for no other reason than to tell them "why they lost another customer" (and to inquire if their liability insurance will cover you when you load their garbage cases).

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    I use a lot of the brass in my Savage .308. Just open two bags this weekend also purchased at Cabelas. Other than 20 necks that needed to resized, the brass was fine.

Top Bottom