• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I have been on this blog and others for a little bit now. I have seen this in other people and, I'm ashamed to say, myself.

Always starts the same.

Someone says something. Another person either feels like he can be a dick because he can do it with impunity or because the medium prevents him from comprehending (it is hard to put sarcassim in type). Either way, words are typed. It gets personal. People write long, detailed accounts of why they are right, and why the other person is an idiot. Before long, it degenerates to dirty, personal attacks.

The real question is, why?

It stops being entertaining the 2nd or third time it happens. It kills the topic of discussion. It certainly doesn't change anyone's mind. I tend to think that it is easier to change someone's mind manually, than by reasoned longic. The thought of changing someone's mind with personal attacks is simply studid.

I am not immune to it. I have read posts that made me angry. It makes me angry that it makes me angry.

The truth is, people act completely different when they are just an avatar. Normally, if two people disagree, even violently, they normally ignor each other. That is when everyone knows who you are, where you live, what you do, and knows more about you than what you chose to post about yourself.

I get on this site, and others, because I enjoy it. I like talking about guns and politics. I don't get to do that in most of the other parts of my life.

A post shouldn't make me angry. I feel silly that a few types words from a little picture on a website has the power to make me angry.

Overall, I've just had some personal reflection, and the whole thing should be funny. I just don't like doing stupid things like that. I'll try to not do silly in the future.
    Lynx Defense

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    "Winning" an argument on the Internet is like being the tallest midget in the circus. I used to argue and debate in the FidoNet and Usenet groups back in the day, but really don't have the patience for it now. Every once in a while something hits a nerve and I'll spend maybe three or four posts on it, but after that it's just time to move on and quit trying to change the other person's mind.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    I don't get mad if at all possible. When a topic starts degenerating because folks are getting personal rather than discussing, I tend to simply move on.

+1...IMHO, that's very good advice.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Same here, there's plenty more to read than someone's tampon report. If all else fails, I put serial butt wipes on IGNORE.

icon_laugh.gif

ldcarson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brasilia, Brazil
    I put my two cents and thats it. I learned long ago that stressing and arguingover stuff that isn't going to change them or me is not wort my life bein shrtned 1 second...Enjoy life, make your point, who cares what they think...move on...

pheet17

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Baytown, Texas
    I read a post last night that pissed me off. Just went away for awhile, and when I came back to put in my 2 cents I couldn't even remember which thread it was in.

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    My friends,

We should use TGT to convey important information affecting our guns, gun rights, politics, etc. I think we should all simply communicate our position/opinion, and be sure not to denigrate another person's opinion/position. In responding to others, if we begin by saying such things as: "I understand your point of view, but...", or "Have you thought about this.....". In other words, begin responses by graciously acknowledging the input of others. Just my simple advice.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Patriot...while I agree w/the premise, there's nothing to say that you can have "good fun" w/one another at the same time. Most times, the debates here are pretty civil, and if it gets out of hand one of 'em will usually self-police and simply drop the subject.

Top Bottom