Defensive Handgun Course with Chris (Plus1/PHT)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I've been communicating with a number of you guys via PM lately about possibly taking a course with Chris from Patriot Handgun Training. I didn't want to post anything seeing as Chris is not an official site sponsor (yet) but got the okay from Alan to do it this one time. I think it will be much easier to communicate our availability and figure out a schedule that will work this way without a million PM's back and forth.

I talked with Chris on the phone just a bit ago and he seemed very willing to work with us to set something up that everyone would be happy with. Midnightyell had asked if classes were exclusively held on Sunday, the answer to this is no. Chris said Saturdays and Sundays were both fine as long as he didn't already have a full class scheduled for that exact date. He also said that he would be willing to do back to back courses if we really did want to try to schedule that but that it would be a lot of information flying at you in a short amount of time. The class is held on the range and the majority of the 3 hours is spent actually applying what he teaches and shooting. Given that he has shot with most of us before, he said we may even be able to accelerate the basic course a bit and touch on some of the advanced content within the basic course.

For anyone that wasn't originally included in the PM's that may be interested. I was checking to see if anyone was interested in getting a group of 5 or 6 together to take Chris's Tac I Defensive Handgun course. Cost is normally $100 individually but our group price would be $70 each and the course is 3 hours in length.

Chris had suggested 8/11 or 8/19 as possible class dates but I believe 8/11 is too short notice for most people. Houston Range day is the 25th so the most realistic date would be the 18th or 19th if we wanted to do it this month. Anyway, share your thoughts and availability.

UPDATED INFO

Saturday Class (8/18) 8 a.m. - 11 a.m.
    • Midnightyell
    • Benenglish
    • Radioman93
    • TheRealT-Dawg
    • JimBobKelly
    Sunday Class (8/19) 8 a.m. - 11 a.m.
    • myself (Tundrawookiee
    • Chris211
    • Chris211's wife
    • Gramps
    • Tejano Scott
    Cost is $70 per person

The course is 3 hours in length

List of required items:
    • your handgun
    • 150+ rounds of ammo
    • eye and ear protection
    • ball cap or hat with bill
    • closed toed shoes
    • closed neck shirt (no V-neck)
    I would also suggest that everyone bring along a little bit of water or their favorite drink as I expect it to be hot. You may also want to consider a fold-up chair or something to sit on. I should have an ice chest with some drinks and possibly an extra chair or two if you forget.

I will also have 2 extra handguns with me in case anyone needs to borrow one, a Ruger SR1911 in .45 ACP and a Taurus PT740 in .40 S&W. All I ask is that you provide your own ammo if you would like to use one of them.

If you have any questions, you can PM me or visit Chris's website at www.patriothandguntraining.com
    Guns International

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    For those who didn't get to meet Chris, he is an extremely humble guy and a DAMN GOOD shot. This seems like a pretty good bargain for what we're getting. I'm not sure I can commit to the 18th or 19th yet, but I definitely would enjoy taking a course from him.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I could make it on the 19th. Still a little soon for me. How does the week after range day work with others?

That's Labor Day weekend which is pretty much out for me. My parents own a race track which I help them run and we have a 2 day race for Labor Day every year which means I'll be working both days.

The 19th would work for me.

Brought to you courtesy of Tapatalk

midnightyell

Makes Aggie Jokes Reality
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    Cypress
    I could make the 18th or 19th work.

I'm concerned my level of proficiency with pistols is probably a good bit below the rest of the group.

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Maj. Gen. John Stark (1728-1822)

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Labor Day weekend is out for me as well... I can see what I can do about 18th or 19th. And MidnightYell, I think we are all concerned about our handgun skills, so don't worry. Shooting with folks like Aaron, Scap, Alan, Cam and Benenglish make me realize how terrible my pistol skills are.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I wouldn't feel comfortable taking the Tac II course. If I'm reading the descriptions right, it requires drawing from a holster. I've never done that and don't think I could manage it without dropping my pistol in the dirt. Besides, I'd have to go out and buy a thigh holster; anything on my belt would get lost in the rolls of fat. (Seriously, running the Tac I and II courses back to back would be information overload for a klutz like me. If that's what the group wants, though, I'll just resolve to step out of my comfort zone. It's always good to have one guy in class the instructor can point to and say "Now, for a demonstration of how not to do it...".)

If we're trying to get a group together for the Tac I course, I'm game.

I'm retired so I'm completely flexible on scheduling. I just need a few days notice so I'll have time to buy a closed-neck shirt. I haven't owned one in 20 years or so.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Where would the class be held?

Good question that I forgot to address. It would be at a private range in Hockley, TX.

As far as the back to back thing is concerned, I think we'll hold off on Tac II for now. I think there are enough of us who will be getting plenty of good info from Tac I.

It's looking like the 19th is going to be the most promising but we'll give others a chance to chime in.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm gonna have to get it past the fiance but I may be in for this on the 18th or 19th. ;) Looking at what I've seen so far online from PHT, actually, I've been excited to see a bit more about these guys. They appear to have their stuff together pretty well, and looks like they offer some good training. Actually, I had been thinking about taking a class from them in the future anyways to see what they are all about. It's amazing how, even nowadays, you still have new companies out there that have things as simple as pictures on their website done wrong. Pics of the teacup grip or other old and archaic things. Not PHT. ;) I like that even the pics on their site look aggressive and students are using correct techniques. Heck, the info on their FB page is good too! We need more well-rounded training companies like this in the community. Oh yeah, and I like their logo too. ;)

Don't let pistol skills discourage you guys. Pistols are one of the hardest firearm platforms to master. It can take a lot of practice, but it's also one of the most relevant platforms for a significant percentage of people to be spending the majority of their training time on IMO.

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    I'm in for the 18th or 19th and both classes.

Just a note for anyone who is concerned about their skill level, drawing from a holster, accuracy/speed, fill-in-the blank; forget about it! I took a 2 day course in March with no prior training, which included drawing from the holster (figured I'd shoot myself in the foot) but like anything go slow, speed comes with smooth movements. Re-holstering is the tricky part... The skill level ranged from nearly beginning shooters to seasoned range jockeys (me) but everyone had a great time.

Long damn winded way of saying, come out, get some schooling. It will be a good time all around.

TheRealT-Dawg

Devil Dog 4Life
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    MO City, TX
    I would be down for either 18 or 19, although I don't know about Tac 2 course just because money is tight and I assume its an extra cost? but Tac 1 on either day sounds good to me.... I just have to remember to hold on to 70 bucks for this :p BTW: can we run IWB holsters? or just OWB? also, my dad isn't a part of this forum, but would it be fine if I brought him along to participate? he's never done a class like this and I feel he should

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I would be down for either 18 or 19, although I don't know about Tac 2 course just because money is tight and I assume its an extra cost? but Tac 1 on either day sounds good to me.... I just have to remember to hold on to 70 bucks for this :p BTW: can we run IWB holsters? or just OWB? also, my dad isn't a part of this forum, but would it be fine if I brought him along to participate? he's never done a class like this and I feel he should

Since there is no drawing or reholstering in the Tac I course, I don't believe there is any holster requirement.

Your dad would be welcome to come. It will just depend on how many we have that commit. So far it seems like Gramps, Midnightyell, and myself are the only ones who have committed I think. We're limited to 5-6 people per class.

TheRealT-Dawg

Devil Dog 4Life
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    MO City, TX
    Since there is no drawing or reholstering in the Tac I course, I don't believe there is any holster requirement.

Your dad would be welcome to come. It will just depend on how many we have that commit. So far it seems like Gramps, Midnightyell, and myself are the only ones who have committed I think. We're limited to 5-6 people per class.

sounds good put me on the list

Radioman93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Texas
    Careful there Gramps. You might get to meet Angry Scott with the Mod Ban Hammer if you taunt him like that too much.

In the same breath ... I am good for the 18th

Or actually either one really.

Radioman

Top Bottom