Delays in getting your CHL?

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by Gopher, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Gopher

Gopher Member

TSRA needs to know about it.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Texas State Rifle Association Political Action Committee[/FONT]
    Dear TSRA Members:

TSRA has been hearing complaints from members around Texas concerning late concealed carry licenses and renewals. This alert is to gather information about recent or past delays.

According to Texas law (see below) the initial license can take up to 60 days to be issued by DPS,
    the renewal can take up to 45 days.

Government Code 411.177 Issuance or Denial of License. (b) The department shall, not later than the 60th
    day after the date of the receipt by the director's designee of the completed application materials: (1)
    issue the license.

Government Code 411.185 Renewal (c) The department shall renew the license of a license holder who meets all the eligibility requirements and submits all the renewal materials. Not later than the 45th day after receipt of the renewal materials, the department shall issue the renewal or notify the license holder in writing that the renewal application was denied.

TSRA is asking members to share delays they've experienced when appying for or renewing
    their Concealed Carry License; recent or past. Please return the completed form below to Alice Tripp,
    Legislative Director, TSRA. agtripp@aol.com

The information below is needed immediately. Thanks for participating
    New or Renewal:
    Full Name on Application:
    Your CHL Number:
    Your Texas Drivers License Number:
    Your Telephone Number:

Date Completed Application Was Received by DPS:
    Date You Received Your License:
    Total Number of Days in Processing:
    Did You Receive a Letter From DPS Regarding the Delay:
    Did You Cause Any of the Delay in Processing:
    IF DPS Gave You A Verbal Explanation for the Delay in Processing (or an Excuse) Please Explain:

Please cut and past the form above into an email, answer the questions, and
    send the email toAlice Tripp, Legislative Director of TSRA agtripp@aol.com

2. TXB4Z

TXB4Z Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Austin, Tx
    It took 4 weeks before I got my packet in the mail acknowledging they received my CHL application. I don't know whats "normal" but that seems like a long time to me.

3. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    They're running right at 60 days, or at least were in Jan-Mar time frame.

The thing that's sad, but normal for the state, is that they notify you when they accept and begin processing it, and they tout the web-site to check for updates. That's not the sad part....

The notice that they got mine came about 45 days after they actually got it. The web-site they're so proud of issues 1 status, Application Processing, or something along those lines. You get no more information or update than the notice you receive, 45 days after they get it.

On the up side, there is someone that answers email very quickly and friendly, but they don't have any more than when they received it, it's current status (processing) and an estimate of how long they are currently taking.

It's the government, they have to have 74 unnecessary processes because they have money to waste so it takes 10 times longer than it would have if it was being done by an organization that actually focuses on the actual task. :D

4. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I wouldn't expect that to be very quick. That's why CHL instructors that are turn-key are the way to go. They have everything you need. I started out online with an application, then blew than off.

5. si vis pacem para b

si vis pacem para b New Member

Apr 23, 2008
    huh

I didin't know you could take the class online do you shoot at your monitor to qualify?:confused:

It seemed like mine took forever to come in. I think it took almost 75 days.... boy I never checked the mail with so much anxiety. I sent mine out just before the Christmas holidays so I am sure they were taking time off for that and New Years. I don't think that is the norm.

6. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    You lost me. I have no idea where you got that. :rofl:

To clarify, I was talking about the "application" online; never said anything about the class. A turn-key "class" will provide the application and packet which negates the need to do the application on line then wait for the State to send you the packet.

7. si vis pacem para b

si vis pacem para b New Member

Apr 23, 2008
    oh I got it now thanks for the clarification.

8. chevydeerhunter

chevydeerhunter Well-Known

Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    A guy came into the range today and said his has taken close to 4 months. An instructor also stated that his friend's application sat on a desk for about 30 days before anybody got to it! That's the government for ya!

9. TXB4Z

TXB4Z Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Austin, Tx
    It's been well over 2 months now and I still don't have mine.

10. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Since they received the package?? :confused:

I sent mine off at the first of Jan. and it was right at 60 days. Sounds like got slammed right after that...