• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gopher

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Far, far, far North Dallas
    TSRA needs to know about it.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Texas State Rifle Association Political Action Committee[/FONT]
    Dear TSRA Members:

TSRA has been hearing complaints from members around Texas concerning late concealed carry licenses and renewals. This alert is to gather information about recent or past delays.

According to Texas law (see below) the initial license can take up to 60 days to be issued by DPS,
    the renewal can take up to 45 days.

Government Code 411.177 Issuance or Denial of License. (b) The department shall, not later than the 60th
    day after the date of the receipt by the director's designee of the completed application materials: (1)
    issue the license.

Government Code 411.185 Renewal (c) The department shall renew the license of a license holder who meets all the eligibility requirements and submits all the renewal materials. Not later than the 45th day after receipt of the renewal materials, the department shall issue the renewal or notify the license holder in writing that the renewal application was denied.

TSRA is asking members to share delays they've experienced when appying for or renewing
    their Concealed Carry License; recent or past. Please return the completed form below to Alice Tripp,
    Legislative Director, TSRA. agtripp@aol.com

The information below is needed immediately. Thanks for participating
    New or Renewal:
    Full Name on Application:
    Your CHL Number:
    Your Texas Drivers License Number:
    Your Telephone Number:

Date Completed Application Was Received by DPS:
    Date You Received Your License:
    Total Number of Days in Processing:
    Did You Receive a Letter From DPS Regarding the Delay:
    Did You Cause Any of the Delay in Processing:
    IF DPS Gave You A Verbal Explanation for the Delay in Processing (or an Excuse) Please Explain:

Please cut and past the form above into an email, answer the questions, and
    send the email toAlice Tripp, Legislative Director of TSRA agtripp@aol.com
    Gun Zone Deals

TXB4Z

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    Austin, Tx
    It took 4 weeks before I got my packet in the mail acknowledging they received my CHL application. I don't know whats "normal" but that seems like a long time to me.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    They're running right at 60 days, or at least were in Jan-Mar time frame.

The thing that's sad, but normal for the state, is that they notify you when they accept and begin processing it, and they tout the web-site to check for updates. That's not the sad part....

The notice that they got mine came about 45 days after they actually got it. The web-site they're so proud of issues 1 status, Application Processing, or something along those lines. You get no more information or update than the notice you receive, 45 days after they get it.

On the up side, there is someone that answers email very quickly and friendly, but they don't have any more than when they received it, it's current status (processing) and an estimate of how long they are currently taking.

It's the government, they have to have 74 unnecessary processes because they have money to waste so it takes 10 times longer than it would have if it was being done by an organization that actually focuses on the actual task. :D

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    It took 4 weeks before I got my packet in the mail acknowledging they received my CHL application. I don't know whats "normal" but that seems like a long time to me.

I wouldn't expect that to be very quick. That's why CHL instructors that are turn-key are the way to go. They have everything you need. I started out online with an application, then blew than off.

si vis pacem para b

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    huh

I wouldn't expect that to be very quick. That's why CHL instructors that are turn-key are the way to go. They have everything you need. I started out online with an application, then blew than off.

I didin't know you could take the class online do you shoot at your monitor to qualify?:confused:

It seemed like mine took forever to come in. I think it took almost 75 days.... boy I never checked the mail with so much anxiety. I sent mine out just before the Christmas holidays so I am sure they were taking time off for that and New Years. I don't think that is the norm.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I didin't know you could take the class online do you shoot at your monitor to qualify?:confused:

You lost me. I have no idea where you got that.

To clarify, I was talking about the "application" online; never said anything about the class. A turn-key "class" will provide the application and packet which negates the need to do the application on line then wait for the State to send you the packet.

chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    A guy came into the range today and said his has taken close to 4 months. An instructor also stated that his friend's application sat on a desk for about 30 days before anybody got to it! That's the government for ya!

TXB4Z

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    Austin, Tx
    Since they received the package?? :confused:

I sent mine off at the first of Jan. and it was right at 60 days. Sounds like got slammed right after that...

I don't know the exact date they got it but I got a package in the mail a month after I sent it in stating they received it. Who knows when they really got it though.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I don't know the exact date they got it but I got a package in the mail a month after I sent it in stating they received it. Who knows when they really got it though.

That sounds like you sent in the application, or submitted it on-line, then they sent you the package with all the rest? If so, I don't think they have any guaranteed delivery of the application package.

I'm assuming the OP is referring to form the time you send in your complete package, how long it's taking for the processing and approval or denial.

I could be misunderstanding though. But I think maybe some people are confusing the processing time for a complete application package, with the online or mailed in application only which still needs the rest of the package to be completed and sent in.

If you do a turn key CHL class, they provide the whole package and you walk away with everything you need to just mail it in at one time. The complete package is what the 60 day target processing completion time is referring to.

DopaVash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Kingwood, Tx
    There's an article in the Houston Chronicle about it today. At least it's getting some media coverage, maybe the DPS will up funding to get stuff moving.

300shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Fargo,ND
    Applications spike for Texas concealed handgun permits
    03:28 PM CDT on Thursday, May 8, 2008
    Associated Press

AUSTIN -- Texans are applying for concealed handgun licenses at a rate nearly 40 percent higher than a year ago, causing a backlog in new applications and permit renewals, according to a newspaper report.

The Houston Chronicle reported in its Thursday editions that state officials can't explain the surge in applications, while handgun instructors point to factors ranging from the looming presidential election to newly strengthened privacy laws for Texas gun owners.

The state is taking a month longer than the 60 days allowed by law to process original applications, the newspaper reported. Renewals are going 80 days past the mandated 45-day period.

"We're trying really hard, but there have been delays because of the tremendous increase in applications," said Tela Mange, a Texas Department of Public Safety spokeswoman.

Last week alone, the state reported processing 1,043 original applications but receiving 1,871 requests.

Last year, state lawmakers granted privacy to the 258,000 licensed gun owners in Texas by closing records that had been public since the concealed handgun law passed in 1995.

Ross Bransford, who trains 1,000 Texans a year to qualify for a concealed handgun licenses, said he believes election-year politics are a factor in the spike of applications.

He said Democratic Sen. Barack Obama, who is leading the race for his party's nomination is a friend of Democratic Sen. Ted Kennedy, "and that scares everybody to death."

Alice Tripp, legislative director for the Texas State Rifle Association, said she hears daily from frustrated members about the delay in getting licenses.

She said some have been put on hold for 45 minutes when calling DPS to inquire about their license.

"They are really quite alarmed and annoyed," Tripp said.

Concealed handgun licenses in Texas must be renewed every five years. Mange said the department is paying overtime and hiring temporary workers to reduce the backlog.

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    Good, 300Shooter posted the article with the information. Yes, applications are way up and without being able to increase staff (which they now have gotten permission to do, apparently), something has to give if you increase the work by 40% and that is time.

The government isn't being bad or intentionally foot dragging. They are just being swamped.

JDKRIEK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    WYLIE
    I took my CHL course Apr 19th and mailed the complete package, including the license number via the packet they sent me the very next day. Status is "Packet Mailed to Applicant", is that referring to the packet they orginaly sent me before my course? Which btw was the same packet the CHL instructor provided me minus the license number.

Assuming that is correct, does that mean they just haven't started processing it yet or haven't received it yet - or as several has stated just haven't updated the website at all.

:mad:

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    They're not real quick to get the site updated. At about 45 days mine turned into "Processing". I emailed and got a reply that they had it in processing since the 2 days after I mailed it which was again, 45 days or so earlier.

They seem proud of the site and status information, but it's next to worthless.

JDKRIEK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    WYLIE
    I'm trying to be proactive despite their lack of technical competence and sent an email out tonight regarding status. They responded within 24hrs the last few times I emailed them, so hopefully that will work.

Top Bottom