• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Works for me. It's better than putting them on the dole.

There was a huge controversy when officers in the SFPD were doing this with their own money. Of course, those were bus tickets... "Where's your hometown? I can either drag you in and charge you or give you a bus ticket back home."

Apparently slime balls like Matt Daly didn't like their voting base being exported. Oh yes; the progressives in CA register the homeless to vote, especially the mentally ill ones, and arrange transportation for them to polling places. I'm sure they give them a nice meal or some booze afterward as a reward.

That city sickened me. Literally.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    OK send them home so their own city / town has to deal with them - no so bright IMO! You just moved the problem. If they are illegal yes but if US citizen then the city needs a work program to help get these folks back working and useful again.
    With out going into great detail I can see how the city could use these folks and save the city money. There are many tasks the city needs tended to that require little skill, instead of paying some guy $20.00 hr to do it put these people to work for $10.00 supervised by one $20.00 hr employee.
    Just my 2 cents!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    OK send them home so their own city / town has to deal with them - no so bright IMO! You just moved the problem. If they are illegal yes but if US citizen then the city needs a work program to help get these folks back working and useful again.
    With out going into great detail I can see how the city could use these folks and save the city money. There are many tasks the city needs tended to that require little skill, instead of paying some guy $20.00 hr to do it put these people to work for $10.00 supervised by one $20.00 hr employee.
    Just my 2 cents!

It's actually a good idea if you think about it. How many friends/family do you have in your hometown, even if you don't live there anymore? Let those folks give 'em a hand up to get them on their feet, and hopefully shame them into actually trying.

As far as a work program, the only way it would work is if you forced them to work. There's a reason they're bums: they don't want to work. They don't give a shit about a paycheck, all they care about is feeding whatever particular addiction they have. If work programs had a chance of working, they wouldn't be needed because the people they'd be designed for would be busy working.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    It's actually a good idea if you think about it. How many friends/family do you have in your hometown, even if you don't live there anymore? Let those folks give 'em a hand up to get them on their feet, and hopefully shame them into actually trying.

As far as a work program, the only way it would work is if you forced them to work. There's a reason they're bums: they don't want to work. They don't give a shit about a paycheck, all they care about is feeding whatever particular addiction they have. If work programs had a chance of working, they wouldn't be needed because the people they'd be designed for would be busy working.

I don't know much about the homeless, but will take an armchair stab at it. I'd venture to say that most are addicts, mentally unstable (crazy), or runaways. Sending them home won't solve anything except shift the tax burden to another city, state, or country. For NY, this is the goal.

Helping these people is not the agenda.

On the brightside, the mayor can trumpet "homelessness in NYC has dropped!".

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I had to deal with a lot of bums (I dislike the term "homeless"; it's too dignified) when I worked in San Francisco. They're everywhere. Yes, there are quite a few that are batshit insane. Yes, there are a ton that are substance abusers of one form or another, probably most of them are. And maybe there are some runaways, I never really saw many kids.

I'd say the biggest issue is with substance abuse. I can't understand the big deal with it; you're either bigger than the booze (or whatever other drug) or you deserve to sleep in the gutter. In any event, family should be good for helping with substance abuse, since they can give a good support base for kicking whatever the monkey is.

However, most of the bums I've had to deal with don't give a shit; they love chasing their dragon and wouldn't stop for the world. They probably could, they just won't.

SF has tons of bums and has more programs than you can imagine to "help them off the streets". Most of the programs simply are enabling devices that wind up keeping bums on the street, though.

Most of my dealings were traveling on the street - parking in SF sucks, so you have to walk a lot - and in having them walk into our shop and try stealing whatever wasn't nailed down tight, or coming into the shop trying to sell stuff that they'd stolen elsewhere because it wasn't nailed down tight enough. One shop did employ a bum (till I got him canned) to clean the floors in the shop. He wasn't nuts, he wasn't an addict (or if he was, he was very in control), he was simply the laziest piece of shit you've ever seen. Took him two or three hours to sweep and mop what should have taken about 30 minutes.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Interesting. I guess I don't know how I feel about this.

I really don't know what you do to make bums to no longer be bums.

I really don't think this program is meant help anyone, just to make them someone else's problem.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Interesting. I guess I don't know how I feel about this.

I really don't know what you do to make bums to no longer be bums.

I really don't think this program is meant help anyone, just to make them someone else's problem.

I would think most families are willing to help their bum. Last I knew, you could find the rare pay phone and make a collect call to your family. But in reality, if the bums wanted help, I would think there are a lot of places to ask for it in NYC. .

Bloomberg is passing the buck, DOHbama should call him out.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom