• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bobk

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Seguin
    ....Murphy's office pointed The Hill to comments made last week by Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn (R-Texas), who said that he would talk to Democrats about strengthening background checks – an initiative that gained some bipartisan momentum earlier this month after a gunman opened fire on a church in southern Texas, killing 26 people.......
    http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/360501-dem-senator-super-close-on-bipartisan-gun-control-deal

I wish we could recall Senators.....I voted against him in the primary..
    ARJ Defense ad

GeorgeandSugar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2017
    Como
    What's there to strengthen? The bureaucracy failed. How about if government perform their function. The background check would have stopped his ability to purchase the firearm had his information been properly entered in the NCIS.

The Democrats are always trying to get an angle on the gun control issue. Instead of looking at what failed; they prefer to introduce symbolic legislation.

It's like everything they touch; it turns to crap. Look at the ACA debacle. Where is the fix from Democrats? Silence as usual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    What's there to strengthen? The bureaucracy failed. How about if government perform their function. The background check would have stopped his ability to purchase the firearm had his information been properly entered in the NCIS.

The Democrats are always trying to get an angle on the gun control issue. Instead of looking at what failed; they prefer to introduce symbolic legislation.

It's like everything they touch; it turns to crap. Look at the ACA debacle. Where is the fix from Democrats? Silence as usual.

That's because "gun control" in their minds is "gun ban". An unarmed America means we are under their control, it all comes down to power.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Not defending Cronyn as I haven’t heard back from him to my email re this topic, but I believe (from the limited readings) that he wants to incentivize NICS reporting, audit and penalize entities that are negligent in their duties to update the NICS database.

If it’s that and it stops there, I’m not sure I would be too opposed to it. However, when have they stopped there and not added a bunch of other small print stupidity.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Strengthen NCIS reporting.... Follow up with universal checks to seal the deal. This guy can go to hell. They've gutted the 5th amendment with blackmail paperwork.

I really hope Dear John doesn't actually think people will keep allowing the destruction of basic rights. The only thing new regulations will do is make honest people into criminals. That's probably the plan anyway.

The answer is NO.

Bobk

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Seguin
    Here's his response:

"Thank you for contacting me with your suggestions for federal firearms policy. I appreciate the benefit of your comments on this matter.
    Like every Texan, I want to prevent violent crime, and I believe this begins with fully enforcing existing gun laws. The federal government has not adequately enforced the 2007 NICS Improvement Amendments Act (P. L. 110-180), a law that is supported by organizations ranging from the National Rifle Association to the Brady Campaign. Passed unanimously by Congress, this law requires states to submit criminal history and mental health records of individuals who are adjudicated as a danger to themselves or others in order to prevent them from legally purchasing firearms. This includes felons, domestic violence perpetrators, and other dangerous individuals.
    To prevent these individuals from illegally purchasing firearms, dealers are required to run an FBI background check on all individuals who attempt to purchase a firearm. This system, known as the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), relies on the sharing of records by federal agencies and state governments to ensure that individuals who are prohibited from possessing a firearm are not able to obtain them illegally.
    Unfortunately, federal agencies and state governments often fail to upload relevant information to NICS—allowing dangerous individuals and violent criminals to obtain firearms. This failure to share information had tragic consequences in multiple mass-violence events. This failure to share information had tragic consequences in multiple mass-violence events, including Blacksburg, Virginia (2007); Charleston, South Carolina (2015); and Sutherland Springs, Texas (2017). In each of these cases, a dangerous individual who was prohibited from purchasing firearms was able to pass a NICS Background Check despite criminal or mental health records that were not uploaded to the system.
    To this end, I introduced the bipartisan Fix NICS Act (S. 2135) on November 15, 2017 to help prevent future tragedies and ensure the integrity of our criminal background check system. S. 2135 would require federal agencies and states to produce NICS implementation plans focused on uploading all information to the background check system showing that a person is prohibited from purchasing or possessing firearms under current law—including measures to verify the accuracy of records. Federal agencies will be held accountable if they fail to upload relevant records to the background check system through public reporting and prohibiting bonus pay for political appointees. S. 2135 would reward states who comply with NICS implementation plans through federal grant preferences and incentives. Also, this legislation would create a Domestic Abuse and Violence Prevention Initiative to ensure that a felon or domestic abuser is excluded from purchasing firearms.
    I also believe improving mental health is another way to prevent violent crime. On August 5, 2015, I introduced the Mental Health and Safe Communities Act of 2015 (S. 2002), which was later included in the 21st Century Cures Act of 2016, and was signed into law last year (P.L. 114-255). This legislation enhances the ability of local communities to identify and treat potentially dangerous, mentally-ill individuals. The law also includes reforms to increase the use of treatment-based alternatives for mentally-ill offenders, and improve crisis response and prevention by state and local law enforcement officials. The bill was endorsed by a diverse group of organizations, including the National Alliance on Mental Illness and the National Association of Police Organizations.
    This is the debate we should be having—a debate that focuses on the root causes of mass violence, fully enforcing current law, and addressing improvements for mental health care in America. We can tackle these problems without curtailing Second Amendment rights, and I will continue to push for effective solutions that protect communities while preserving our constitutional liberties.
    I appreciate the opportunity to represent Texas in the United States Senate. Thank you for taking the time to contact me."

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Here's his response:
    Snip
    Passed unanimously by Congress, this law requires states to submit criminal history and mental health records of individuals who are adjudicated as a danger to themselves or others in order to prevent them from legally purchasing firearms. This includes felons, domestic violence perpetrators, and other dangerous individuals.
    Snip
    Unfortunately, federal agencies and state governments often fail to upload relevant information to NICS—allowing dangerous individuals and violent criminals to obtain firearms. This failure to share information had tragic consequences in multiple mass-violence events. This failure to share information had tragic consequences in multiple mass-violence events, including Blacksburg, Virginia (2007); Charleston, South Carolina (2015); and Sutherland Springs, Texas (2017). In each of these cases, a dangerous individual who was prohibited from purchasing firearms was able to pass a NICS Background Check despite criminal or mental health records that were not uploaded to the system.
    Snip
    Federal agencies will be held accountable if they fail to upload relevant records to the background check system through public reporting and prohibiting bonus pay for political appointees. S. 2135 would reward states who comply with NICS implementation plans through federal grant preferences and incentives.
    How is this a bad thing? Seems to me it is not about new restrictions and is about strengthing the reporting of existing prohibited persons.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Here's his response:
    Snip
    Passed unanimously by Congress, this law requires states to submit criminal history and mental health records of individuals who are adjudicated as a danger to themselves or others in order to prevent them from legally purchasing firearms. This includes felons, domestic violence perpetrators, and other dangerous individuals.
    Snip
    Snip
    Federal agencies will be held accountable if they fail to upload relevant records to the background check system through public reporting and prohibiting bonus pay for political appointees. S. 2135 would reward states who comply with NICS implementation plans through federal grant preferences and incentives.
    How is this a bad thing? Seems to me it is not about new restrictions and is about strengthing the reporting of existing prohibited persons.
    Leave it to the government to have to pass a law to fix a broken law.

GeorgeandSugar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2017
    Como
    Here's his response:
    Snip
    Snip
    Snip

Seems reasonable, but should've they been doing this all along? This is the beef I have; there is a rush to create new laws when they need to tighten-up and enforce current law. If nothing else, this will make Senator Murphy feel good that he is doing something. The rub is we need another law to make them enforce a current law. The bottom line is the government was lax, someone was not paying attention or attempting to improve the process and/or someone was simply not doing their job or all of the above.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Seems reasonable, but should've they been doing this all along? This is the beef I have; there is a rush to create new laws when they need to tighten-up and enforce current law. If nothing else, this will make Senator Murphy feel good that he is doing something. The rub is we need another law to make them enforce a current law. The bottom line is the government was lax, someone was not paying attention or attempting to improve the process and/or someone was simply not doing their job or all of the above.

That was my point. I'm not exactly sure what chain of people it has to go through, but I would think all they need do is tell the right people to fix the current law.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    It seems to me, they still anticipate noncompliance from some government entities. Look at the bottom of the actual bill and you’ll see where they try to offer some positive “incentives” for obeying the law! [Preferential treatment for issuing grant monies]

Top Bottom