• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hutchmx92

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2021
    Texas
    Hello everyone! I am mew to the forum and a recent denial brought me here. I was answering the questions at academy sports for a firearm purchase. Question specifically about depression I answered yes. I am 29 years old and 12 years ago I joined the navy at 17 years old with parent signature and had a entry level discharge that involved depression. I am now grown with kids and a wife of 6 years and a career and college degree. Did I answer incorrectly and misinterpret it or did i answer it accurately? i have no psychiatric issues for depression or anything since that incident 12 years ago and I did not have a bad conduct discharge if any sort. I filed tonight to challenge and submitted a VAF and will go in the coming week to so my finger prints. I find it hard to believe that I am not eligible to purchase from a vendor. The specific legal clauses state from my understanding involuntarily submitted and seem to be of recent? Guidance would be appreciated, I am no hun but by any means but I did grow up in a rural area where we had shotguns and rifles with us usually all the time, i only want to purchase as j have new born twin daughters and feel it's something that could prevent something from happening to them.
    ARJ Defense ad

hutchmx92

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2021
    Texas
    Second part: Somewhat of an answer to your question of being denied.

On Form 4473. Questions 21b through 21k, answering yes to any of these questions means an automatic denial by the FFL and they never even proceed to doing the background check through the NICS.

Did you answer "yes" to question 21f?
    That is correct I did answer yes to F, so when I was going through the issues I spent the night at the hospital as a precaution but was allowed to leave the next day, so I was not sure if that counted as being admitted? I wasn't forced to do so it was a voluntary thing, I feel like there is a bit of a gray area but did not want to answer incorrectly and then get in legal trouble on the back end. I almost feel like I answered incorrectly and my scenario does not actually fall into those specifics. Should I continue with the VAF that I submitted or redo the questions and answer no? I am all for following the law but just confused at this point.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    That is correct I did answer yes to F, so when I was going through the issues I spent the night at the hospital as a precaution but was allowed to leave the next day, so I was not sure if that counted as being admitted? I wasn't forced to do so it was a voluntary thing, I feel like there is a bit of a gray area but did not want to answer incorrectly and then get in legal trouble on the back end. I almost feel like I answered incorrectly and my scenario does not actually fall into those specifics. Should I continue with the VAF that I submitted or redo the questions and answer no? I am all for following the law but just confused at this point.

In layman's terms, trying to keep this as simple as possible.

That sounds like a self-committal, and not court ordered committal. A self-committal would be no different than admitting yourself into the hospital for a surgery, an illness or an injury. Those records are private and are not subject to scrutiny by anyone other than your healthcare professionals.

The only records that would show up on the NICS background check would be if the admission to a mental facility or hospital was court ordered by a judge during a legal proceeding to determine that you were mentally unfit.

IOW's you should have answered "no" to question 21f.

hutchmx92

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2021
    Texas
    In layman's terms, trying to keep this as simple as possible.

That sounds like a self-committal, and not court ordered committal. A self-committal would be no different than admitting yourself into the hospital for a surgery, an illness or an injury. Those records are private and are not subject to scrutiny by anyone other than your healthcare professionals.

The only records that would show up on the NICS background check would be if the admission to a mental facility or hospital was court ordered by a judge during a legal proceeding to determine that you were mentally unfit.

IOW's you should have answered "no" to question 21f.
    Thank you for the reply! Look forward to trying again and updating. I believe you are correct in your opinion as well.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Axxe55 is pretty much correct. The question is for involuntary commitment. Seeking voluntary help does not count. How the military handles it, if you were still active duty at the time I have no idea. If you answered yes to any of the wrong questions, the back ground check should not have been done. NICS gets very pissed if they do. If you inadvertently answered a question in the wrong and were denied, go somewhere else and try again. The original place probably won't even talk to you about it.
    I will add this. If at any time you are not sure how to answer a question on the 4473, STOP! Simply stop and walk away and do your homework on what it is asking. If nothing else, take a blank 4473, you can print a blank off of the web, to an attorney familiar with firearm laws and ask them.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I AM IN NO WAY AN EXPERT! In fact I’m not really that bright at all. But I bet once that yes was recorded (I’m guessing you did it on an iPad, that’s what most Academy’s use) it was not even submitted for a NICS. If it was me, I’d hold off on the appeal, and go to a different FFL and try again, but answer no. But I may be wrong, and if it was submitted and you try again and change an answer, it could get kicked back again and I’m guessing the FBI would frown on that. I got delayed the first time I tried to buy a rifle. Scared the hell outta me! I thought I was gonna have to leave the country and the feds were coming after me. Next day I got a call from the FFL that I got a “proceed” and I could pick up my rifle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    You guys know that when you respond to a question with “ go over to the intro section and introduce yourself” after someone introduces them selves in a post asking for advice, that you come across like the safety man on a job site that stops your job and asks “Do you have a minute to talk about safety?”

In other words, very condescending.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    My advice to a first time gun purchaser, especially one who has no intent to build a large collection, or who has no real interest in a specific gun, would be to never involve the federal government in a gun purchase.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    If you go to a doctor, clinic or ER and they ask if someone is hurting you how do you respond?

Like on a job interview if they ask if you ever stole something from a previous job do you mentions the pens in your truck or home that migrated there from work?

When the wife ask if her ass looks big what do you say?

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    If you go to a doctor, clinic or ER and they ask if someone is hurting you how do you respond?

Like on a job interview if they ask if you ever stole something from a previous job do you mentions the pens in your truck or home that migrated there from work?

When the wife ask if her ass looks big what do you say?
    Hell naw
    773dcc462fbb96a1582f3314380f905d.jpg

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I have had to deal with this before, and a voluntary stay is not the same as a court ordered committal. A voluntary committal need not answer yes...per BATFE.

I do not however know this person's circumstances and in no way am I giving legal advice to anyone. Nor am I qualified to give legal advice.

For legal advice always consult a qualified attorney.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I have had to deal with this before, and a voluntary stay is not the same as a court ordered committal. A voluntary committal need not answer yes...per BATFE.

I do not however know this person's circumstances and in no way am I giving legal advice to anyone. Nor am I qualified to give legal advice.

For legal advice always consult a qualified attorney.
    ^^^ Best advice on this thread ! ^^^

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom