Denied Texas CHL

AV8R

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May 8, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
Hello 2nd Amendment friends,
I am a 40ish year old, full time employed, responsible law abiding citizen and father. I applied for a Texas CHL about eight years ago, and wanting to do the right thing, voluntarily disclosed that I was on antidepressants. I was denied my Texas CHL. Fast forward eight years and it is more important than ever to support the 2nd amendment. I would like to reapply for my CHL, however, I am still on this medication. I am not crazy, am well educated and very responsible, no criminal history.
What is the easiest, most painless way to get my Texas CHL?
Thanks,
Av8R

Acera

TGT Addict
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Jan 17, 2011
Republic of Texas
I would apply for and get an out of state permit from Arizona or Florida.

That will currently give you just about all the benefits of a Texas CHL without the hassle, expense, etc.

AV8R

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May 8, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
I would apply for and get an out of state permit from Arizona or Florida.

That will currently give you just about all the benefits of a Texas CHL without the hassle, expense, etc.

thanks for your quick response. but since my texas chl was denied wouldn't this be considered "finding work around to the law?" I'm trying to be law abiding and had my Utah CHL, however Utah DPS stated on their website that out of state permits will no longer be honored as too many people who get denied in one state apply elsewhere.

help!

Acera

TGT Addict
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Jan 17, 2011
Republic of Texas
Is there something illegal about finding another path to your CHL???

Utah and Texas have been problematic for some time. There is a proposed law that will take away the ability of a Texas resident to use an out of state CHL in Texas, but it has not passed yet and may not. Check out the Florida site, you might be able to use you Texas CHL course as proof of training, would that not be ironic :)

Check here and see if you fit any of these disqualifications.
http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/cw_license_eligibility_requirements_web.pdf

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apr 12, 2013
Bay City, MI
Somewhat off-topic, but are you required to say if you're on prescription drugs and/or specify what types, and if so, can that disqualify you from getting a CHL in Texas? I've gotten different answers from different instructors.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May 28, 2008
Ft Worth, TX
It is not unlawful to obtain an out of state license if a Texas has an eligibility requirement you cannot meet.

However, just being on anti-depressants will not automatically make you inelgible. if a licensed psychiatrist will write a letter stating that you are not incapable of exercising the sound judgment in the care and storage of firearms, you should be fine here.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May 28, 2008
Ft Worth, TX

MrZ2u

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan 8, 2013
Pflugerville
Wait, so I can apply for an Arizona or Florida or whichever CHL as a Texas resident and then legally carry in Texas?

I have no disqualifications that would keep me from getting it in Texas but if the process is easier in another state then why wouldn't I want to do that?

Last edited:

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Feb 4, 2009
Fort Worth
From the questionnaire...

Have you ever been treated and/or admitted to a facility for drug, alcohol and/or psychiatric care; OR

been diagnosed as suffering from a psychiatric disorder or condition that causes or is likely to cause substantial impairment in judgment, mood, perception, impulse control, or
intellectual ability; OR

pled innocent by reason of insanity; OR

been found mentally incompetent; OR

had court ordered outpatient treatment?

Based on what you described, I'd just answer no to all of that.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Every Day Man
Shroud
Shroud

Latest posts