• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jocat54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Lindale, Texas
    Yes you currently can do that, I do.

Well you don't get the free pass on having a background check done if you buy a firearm from a FFL, costs you about 5 minutes while the dealer phones it in. You are not exempt from the provisions of the Gun Free School Zone Act. You don't get to spend a bunch of time in a class, you don't get the opportunity to travel to have your fingerprints done electronically. No Texas CHL instructor gets dinner money from your paying him to teach you. With the regular fingerprinting that other states require you must wash you hands afterwards to get the ink off. You don't get to contribute to your states government, but you do get to give fewer dollars to another state. Being that the time frame it valid of other states is usually longer your may have to wait longer to exercise this benefit again than if you had a Texas license. No built in excuse to go to the range and launch 50 rounds downrange for qualification, so you might use that money for another vice like a titty bar. Other than not supporting Texas' archaic and backsliding CHL procedure, can't see a good reason.

Very well said. My Florida license was much easier and cheaper and quicker to get.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Don't tell them you take antidepressants. If there is more to the story (which I suspect), get a Psychiatrist to write a letter stating you no longer suffer from whichever disorder got you disqualified last time.

Last edited:

NeckBeard

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    with the way this country is, soon advil will be a disqualification. best not to discuss medication. just my .02.

and to follow up on the OP, a permit to carry a handgun is not a 2a right. you're merely getting permission from the govt to carry an arm. concealed carry - unless in AZ, AK or NH is a privilege, not a right. let's get it straight, people.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Texas sucks on a bunch of their gun laws...

Pretty pathetic when ILLINOIS is closer to constitutional carry than Texas is.

The ridiculousness that is the Texas CHL process need some major reforms.

What are you talking about? I can't even carry there. I think you are confused about some things.

guyver0313

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2013
    with the way this country is, soon advil will be a disqualification. best not to discuss medication. just my .02.

and to follow up on the OP, a permit to carry a handgun is not a 2a right. you're merely getting permission from the govt to carry an arm. concealed carry - unless in AZ, AK or NH is a privilege, not a right. let's get it straight, people.

Don't forget Wyoming.

Also, according to a couple of the new gun "safety" (read: control) laws Ambien is classified as an anti-psychotic medication. Taking Ambien can result in getting your firearms confiscated due to mental illness. This is part of why I don't like the mental illness debate we are having in America right now. Because today, we say violently ill. Tomorrow, we add people who have ever suffered from depression. The next, we add people who have ever been to a shrink just to talk because it may escalate. Just going to get steeper and slipperier.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

That is sadly mistaken. Just because the government in Texas treats our RIGHT as a privilege does not make it so.

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" What does "bear arms" mean to you.

let's get it straight, person.

Pinlifter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    DFW
    What are you talking about? I can't even carry there. I think you are confused about some things.

Not confused about anything.

If Illinois doesn't do something, SOON, in a little less than a month, a court imposed deadline will expire. And when this deadline expires, it takes their absurdly restrictive carry law (or lack thereof) with it.

Illinois is around a month from being a constitutional carry state if their state legislators don't agree on a decent carry law by then.

FlashBang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Bastrop TX
    In my opinion only, the decreasing of class time is a good first step. The next step is to simplify the paperwork, take a look at AZ, FL, VA and many others for examples. Their applications are short, sweet, and to the point as to what information is gathered. Of course, you can argue that no permit should be required at all, but that isn't going to happen anytime in the near future. So let's work on what can be changed.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Not confused about anything.

If Illinois doesn't do something, SOON, in a little less than a month, a court imposed deadline will expire. And when this deadline expires, it takes their absurdly restrictive carry law (or lack thereof) with it.

Illinois is around a month from being a constitutional carry state if their state legislators don't agree on a decent carry law by then.

Can you explain that, in detail? Many of us, especially me, have not kept up with the happenings there.

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    Can you explain that, in detail? Many of us, especially me, have not kept up with the happenings there.

Supreme court I believe threw out their bullcrap a while back now gave them til this summer to come up with something. Their legislator is locked up because the sniveling commies can't come up with a carry law they like but they revert to having no laws against carrying if they pass nothing by the deadline.

That's the cliff notes of it as far as I know.

Last edited:

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    tvwQC.gif

guyver0313

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2013
    Citation, please.

Well, here is a list (granted it is from Wiki) of psychotropic medications:

List of psychotropic medications - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ambien is listed under the A's. It is known to cause people to do weird things when they are asleep such as eating, driving and so on. Something similar to this was recently used to take the guns away from a subject of New Yorkistan using the NY SAFE Act (one of the final straws that broke my back to leave) and the provisions governing mentally ill people.

Also, from the Wisconsin Dept. of Health Services:

http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/rl_dsl/MedManagement/psychMeds.pdf

Ambien has been suspected of (and in some cases allegedly found) to contain trace amounts of Haldol. They also classify drugs used for ADHD and other common, not dangerous issues.

So, basically, the anti-gun crew are going to use thementally ill debate to find a way to disarm all Americans. In NY for example, they ask you on the permission request form (pistol license application, don't get me started on the process) if you have ever taken drugs. Now, the normal person thinks illegal drugs. But they deliberately word it vaguely because in the past they have used it to take guns away saying that the prescription pain meds prescribed during an ER visit 15 years ago were drugs and they had lied on their application. Because they MAY make one loopy or whatever and that classifies you as a danger and mentally ill.

As to Wyoming, Constitutional Carry:

NRA News | Wyoming Gov. Signs Constitutional Carry into Law

Top Bottom