• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AV8R

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Hello 2nd Amendment friends,
    I am a 40ish year old, full time employed, responsible law abiding citizen and father. I applied for a Texas CHL about eight years ago, and wanting to do the right thing, voluntarily disclosed that I was on antidepressants. I was denied my Texas CHL. Fast forward eight years and it is more important than ever to support the 2nd amendment. I would like to reapply for my CHL, however, I am still on this medication. I am not crazy, am well educated and very responsible, no criminal history.
    What is the easiest, most painless way to get my Texas CHL?
    Thanks,
    Av8R
    Gun Zone Deals

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I would apply for and get an out of state permit from Arizona or Florida.

That will currently give you just about all the benefits of a Texas CHL without the hassle, expense, etc.

AV8R

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I would apply for and get an out of state permit from Arizona or Florida.

That will currently give you just about all the benefits of a Texas CHL without the hassle, expense, etc.

thanks for your quick response. but since my texas chl was denied wouldn't this be considered "finding work around to the law?" I'm trying to be law abiding and had my Utah CHL, however Utah DPS stated on their website that out of state permits will no longer be honored as too many people who get denied in one state apply elsewhere.

help!

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Is there something illegal about finding another path to your CHL???

Utah and Texas have been problematic for some time. There is a proposed law that will take away the ability of a Texas resident to use an out of state CHL in Texas, but it has not passed yet and may not. Check out the Florida site, you might be able to use you Texas CHL course as proof of training, would that not be ironic :)

Check here and see if you fit any of these disqualifications.
    http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/cw_license_eligibility_requirements_web.pdf

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Somewhat off-topic, but are you required to say if you're on prescription drugs and/or specify what types, and if so, can that disqualify you from getting a CHL in Texas? I've gotten different answers from different instructors.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    It is not unlawful to obtain an out of state license if a Texas has an eligibility requirement you cannot meet.

However, just being on anti-depressants will not automatically make you inelgible. if a licensed psychiatrist will write a letter stating that you are not incapable of exercising the sound judgment in the care and storage of firearms, you should be fine here.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

MrZ2u

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Pflugerville
    Wait, so I can apply for an Arizona or Florida or whichever CHL as a Texas resident and then legally carry in Texas?

I have no disqualifications that would keep me from getting it in Texas but if the process is easier in another state then why wouldn't I want to do that?

Last edited:

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    From the questionnaire...

Have you ever been treated and/or admitted to a facility for drug, alcohol and/or psychiatric care; OR

been diagnosed as suffering from a psychiatric disorder or condition that causes or is likely to cause substantial impairment in judgment, mood, perception, impulse control, or
    intellectual ability; OR

pled innocent by reason of insanity; OR

been found mentally incompetent; OR

had court ordered outpatient treatment?

Based on what you described, I'd just answer no to all of that.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    It is not unlawful to obtain an out of state license if a Texas has an eligibility requirement you cannot meet.

However, just being on anti-depressants will not automatically make you inelgible. if a licensed psychiatrist will write a letter stating that you are not incapable of exercising the sound judgment in the care and storage of firearms, you should be fine here.

To Mr. AV8R, the above instructor is telling you the facts. Obviously, after reading forums and hearing the stories about what CHL instructors tell their student, one should be skeptical. There is a lot of misinformation being passed out in classes, but TI will tell you what the law says, whether you like it or not. If you need more confirmation, go to the statutes and laws and make your own determinations.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Wait, so I can apply for an Arizona or Florida or whichever CHL as a Texas resident and then legally carry in Texas?

I have no disqualifications that would keep me from getting it in Texas but if the process is easier in another state then why wouldn't I want to do that?

Yes you currently can do that, I do.

Well you don't get the free pass on having a background check done if you buy a firearm from a FFL, costs you about 5 minutes while the dealer phones it in. You are not exempt from the provisions of the Gun Free School Zone Act. You don't get to spend a bunch of time in a class, you don't get the opportunity to travel to have your fingerprints done electronically. No Texas CHL instructor gets dinner money from your paying him to teach you. With the regular fingerprinting that other states require you must wash you hands afterwards to get the ink off. You don't get to contribute to your states government, but you do get to give fewer dollars to another state. Being that the time frame it valid of other states is usually longer your may have to wait longer to exercise this benefit again than if you had a Texas license. No built in excuse to go to the range and launch 50 rounds downrange for qualification, so you might use that money for another vice like a titty bar. Other than not supporting Texas' archaic and backsliding CHL procedure, can't see a good reason.

espy59lc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    San Antonio

Well you don't get the free pass on having a background check done if you buy a firearm from a FFL, costs you about 5 minutes while the dealer phones it in. You are not exempt from the provisions of the Gun Free School Zone Act. You don't get to spend a bunch of time in a class, you don't get the opportunity to travel to have your fingerprints done electronically. No Texas CHL instructor gets dinner money from your paying him to teach you. With the regular fingerprinting that other states require you must wash you hands afterwards to get the ink off. You don't get to contribute to your states government, but you do get to give fewer dollars to another state. Being that the time frame it valid of other states is usually longer your may have to wait longer to exercise this benefit again than if you had a Texas license. No built in excuse to go to the range and launch 50 rounds downrange for qualification, so you might use that money for another vice like a titty bar. Other than not supporting Texas' archaic and backsliding CHL procedure, can't see a good reason.

Couldn't have said it better. I also have an out of state for all you wondering if you can. Arizona is the bee's-knee's!

$60 plus $20 for finger prints, and like $5 to mail it in, and my AZ Non-resident CCW was in the mail in 4 weeks. That's the way it should be in Texas, but you know how that goes.

Pinlifter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    DFW

Not to mention Texas disqualifies you for a non-violent misdemeanor that is in deferment in another state.

MrZ2u

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Pflugerville
    So it sounds like the only thing I would miss out on is the skipping of the background check for new purchases if I am reading this right?

Pinlifter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    DFW
    So it sounds like the only thing I would miss out on is the skipping of the background check for new purchases if I am reading this right?

And being able to carry within 1k feet of a school... But that is a federal law that requires a federal agent to enforce.

Top Bottom