• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Had heavy sedation for my last colonoscopy. Sure as hell didn't make it easy and I doubt I'll ever recover from that ordeal.

Odd, as in my firsthand experience the sedation for such a procedure is just enough to put you in la-la land, but not enough that they can't bring you out quickly if necessary. During my first, I was awoken to be shown something on the monitor I never wanted to see or want to see again in my life. As LT Jim 'Wash Out' Pfaffenbach once so elegantly stated, "Ain't no man going to take that route with me!"

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Yep, same here. Some damn lazy military dentist tried to convince me it wasn't necessary. He was wrong.
    I bet TxStetson is so bad ass that he eats cheerios during his colonoscopies....and enjoy's it going in as well as coming out.

He probably keeps a spreadsheet of his "anal intrusions"......I mean frequent colonoscopies.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    TX OMFS,

Couldn't that reasoning extend to tonsils and appendix and heck one's gall bladder.

Probably more stuff we could offload cuz it might go sour...whaddaya think?

Hey, yank ALL our teeth, then no potential tooth-el problems.

What else should we consider jettisoning...?

Yeah, I'm being a smart aleck...just for fun.
    Risks & benefits. Wisdom tooth removal is lower risk than the surgeries you mentioned.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Why so long on the healing time before implant? I see places advertising full implants in a day......is that not possible? If it is.....what is the diff between full and single implants?

What they don't tell you in the ads is you will be on a mush & liquid diet for 3 months of healing or so. You usually, not always, get the teeth on day 1 but you won't be chowing down. You're putting light forces across 4 or more implants tied together.

Also, with full implants the exact position of each implant isn't critical. We have lots of wiggle room and can even angle them up to 45 degrees.

With a single tooth position of the implant is much more important. Often times the extraction socket needs to fully heal so the implant can go in the "exact" right spot. You're also mechanically able to put much more force on a single tooth implant opposed by natural teeth than you are to put on each implant in the full implant method. If the implants move much at all during healing the bone won't fuse to them and you lose them. Giving the single implant time to heal without being used increases success.

All that said, in some cases we can remove a single bad tooth, place an immediate implant that day, and put a temporary tooth on the implant that is intentionally a little bit short so you can't touch it with the opposing teeth when clenching your teeth together while trying to unjam your 1911.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    ....All that said, in some cases we can remove a single bad tooth, place an immediate implant that day, and put a temporary tooth on the implant that is intentionally a little bit short so you can't touch it with the opposing teeth when clenching your teeth together while trying to unjam your 1911.

You’re a funny bastard.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    What they don't tell you in the ads is you will be on a mush & liquid diet for 3 months of healing or so. You usually, not always, get the teeth on day 1 but you won't be chowing down. You're putting light forces across 4 or more implants tied together.

Also, with full implants the exact position of each implant isn't critical. We have lots of wiggle room and can even angle them up to 45 degrees.

With a single tooth position of the implant is much more important. Often times the extraction socket needs to fully heal so the implant can go in the "exact" right spot. You're also mechanically able to put much more force on a single tooth implant opposed by natural teeth than you are to put on each implant in the full implant method. If the implants move much at all during healing the bone won't fuse to them and you lose them. Giving the single implant time to heal without being used increases success.

All that said, in some cases we can remove a single bad tooth, place an immediate implant that day, and put a temporary tooth on the implant that is intentionally a little bit short so you can't touch it with the opposing teeth when clenching your teeth together while trying to unjam your 1911.
    Last sentence is gold.....

ETA: Ninja'd by TNJ.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015

I totally agree with this other than the 1911 snip. I've worked for 2 "teeth in a day" operations. I know the process extremely well. There is a few appointment before surgery day and several afterwards. Every case is different. Some come out good and some bad. Please follow your post op instructions. Patient compliance is o e of the biggest things your provider cant do anything about.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin

Thanks for your answer

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Had heavy sedation for my last colonoscopy. Sure as hell didn't make it easy and I doubt I'll ever recover from that ordeal.
    I really believe you had light sedation because it was a bad ordeal. With proper sedation you would not have known anything until you hit the recovery room. Most of the time nowadays the GI doc tells the nurse how much to give as the procedure goes. Rarely is a physician or nurse anesthetist present (thanks to insurance). Don't let this one bad experience keep you from having a timely repeat. To me, the worst part of the procedure is the prep. When what comes out looks like what you drank you are ready.

Top Bottom