• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TXTad

Jul 6, 2021
    Flower Mound, TX
    I saw a Colt Diamondback in person for the first time yesterday. At least the first time that I paid any attention to one. I didn't realize they were that svelte. Seems even lighter than an S&W K frame.

I have more than one GP100 and 686, but I recently became enamored with the S&W Combat Masterpiece and now have two 15s and two 65s. Just such a nice, well-balanced revolver.
    Hurley's Gold

justmax

Well-Known
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    <>

Growing-up, Dad had several revolvers & semi-auto’s. As he’d buy .22LR & shotgun shells in bulk, but .45ACP etc. by the box, I wound up shooting lots of Colt .22 revolvers of the older ‘’Poice Positive’’ style, w/ the firing pin integral w/ the hammer, no ‘’transfer bar’’. O/W it was the Colt Army 1911 from WWII.

Two Uncles (different sides of Family) were S&W magnum aficionados, but never taught me handguns. Another Uncle had a room full of mostly unfired Winchester lever guns, 94’s, but wasn’t into handguns.

My first purchase was the 1970 Python, second was a series 70 Gold Cup with the bbl bushing. Back in the early to mid 70’s, I had endless US Army .45ACP & .38Spl ammo, only.

For some reason, the Python always felt more natural and I could hit everything with it. So, I loved it & still do. Rarely fired double action, in practice only. Rarely .357 loads.

But, after escaping an attempted kidnapping in 1980 Houston, I realized I need a smaller carry gun, as CC was still very ‘’illegal’’ back then. Got a J-frame clone & an InterArms PPKS. I could never hit anything with either.

I just sort-of lost handgun skills, but shot a lots of shotguns over the decades. Now, an arthritic 80yo w/ a safe of nice pieces, my EDC is G26 or G19, occasionally a lightweight real J-frame, AirWeight or Scandium. I now have several acres at home and could shoot here, but don’t. Too late in life, maybe. I keep telling our ‘’Dirt Guy’’ (Landscaper) that I’ll get him to build a backstop levee, but never followed-through.

Worse, Son #2, runs the nearby Police range a day or 2 a month, and I just don’t go.

Old Age. . . . . . .

leVieux

A PPK or a J frame has been part of getting dressed for about 40 years until lately. If I need something bigger like a Glock or a shotgun I try to just not go.

justmax

Well-Known
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    This one is an M68 in .38 Special...specifically built for the LAPD (357s were frowned on by the city for cops). It's just a 66 with a .38 cylinder. I sent it back to S&W for the patridge (post) front sight. LAPD master armorer Harry Davis tuned the trigger. A great shooter and an excellent police revolver back in the '80's.
    The majority of shooting with my .357s has been with .38 loads, so I'm not losing much with a 6" .38.
    Bob

74cqRxv.jpg

JevYFVa.jpg
    You were with LAPD in the 80's?

@TX_1

Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    I searched for 3-4 years trying to find a Ruger 357 mag 6-1/2" Blackhawk, Never found one for sale. One day I was looking at MidWay's website and saw they had added a lot of firearms. I spotted something I had never seen before and there were 4 on hand, I did a little research and waited 1/2 a day and finally bought one. It is a 356851 Uberti 357mag/38spec 5-1/2" Short-Stroke SASS Pro. Beretta owns them. It has the best trigger I've ever shot in a pistol and the balance, finish, and quality is unmatched anywhere.

It is heavy and a bit large to conceal, but found a holster made for it in South Africa and a heavy belt. It has been a year and a half and I'm still in love with shooting it.

Yes, I am sure they are and they are more concealable than my Uberti Colt replica (not exact replica, I think it has improvements). And it is a pleasure to shoot. Trigger, overall feel and workmanship are flawless.

@TX_1

Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    Back when they were production-class legal under IHMSA rules, I worked hard to find the heaviest bullet that would stabilize in my XPs. Max weight/min length would require a wadcutter profile and no one made those. I wound up with a very stubby, flat-base, round-nose 63 grain bullet. It was marvelously accurate. I don't remember who made it but I do remember being disappointed when it was discontinued.

It's too bad Remington didn't come out with a silhouette version of the base pistol that could be shot in production class. With good adjustable sights and a 1-in-5 twist barrel with a long leade, the XP would have been the absolute ruler of production class IHMSA competition.
    I never shot heavier than 55 grain bullets in it. It is a good little varmint gun. When I bought the pistol there was a missing piece for the sight. I put the long eye relief 3X Burris scope on it and it worked great. I later ordered the missing piece, and put it back to original. It is the original barrel, at times I would have liked one that was a bit longer.

Have never been too interested 22 caliber center fire rifles. Think I might have mentioned recently building an AR-15, that looked like hunting rifle. The barrel is 18" 1:8 twist rifling 5.56x45 chamber, have open sights on it now. But recently bought a 3-9x50mm Burris scope that I thought about putting on it. Have not decided one way or the other yet. Did come up with a load that I'm actually impressed with. Built it around an old Speer 70gr Semi Spitzer with flat base on bullet. I don't like putting much of the bullet past the neck of the bullet. Worked up 2 powder loads one with Varget and the other with Shooter's World AR--Plus. Both good powders for this range of bullets. The AR-plus works good in my .308 too. And my 30-30.

It has taken a while for me to not miss sides of conversation. Still adapting to the site. Thanks

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

The question was too broad.

Depends on what one plans to do with the revolver.

I have a Scandium .38 J-frame which is a pleasure to carry; but leaves a lot to be desired as a stand-alone defensive piece.

OTOH, a Friend has a 7-round S&W .357 which is great, but too big to carry concealed all day.

<>

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    Doc, what's wrong with the J-frame as a defensive weapon? 5 rounds of .38 spl+P isn't anything to sneeze at.

OIF2

Well-Known
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hill Country
    <>

Was this before or after the LAPD went to .38 Super 1911’s for plain clothes Officers ?

<>
    Never happened. 38 Super was never on the approved or issued list for any plainclothes or uniformed officers. Neither was the 1911, except for SWAT entry units and SIS detectives. SIS went to the Glock 21 in .45 after a short while with 1911s.

LAPD officers are now allowed to carry 1911 .45s after shooting expert on the "bonus shoot" and attending an in-service department training course.
    Bob

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Never happened. 38 Super was never on the approved or issued list for any plainclothes or uniformed officers. Neither was the 1911, except for SWAT entry units and SIS detectives. SIS went to the Glock 21 in .45 after a short while with 1911s.

LAPD officers are now allowed to carry 1911 .45s after shooting expert on the "bonus shoot" and attending an in-service department training course.
    Bob
    <>

Some 15+ years back, an elderly man at ArcoLa Airport in SW Metro Houston showed me a 38Super 1911 Colt he had been given by the Widow of a LAPD Detective; said the Dept allowed him to buy his carry gun when they switched to something else.

I had heard tales before, but that was the only one I ever saw purported to be from LAPD.

<>

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I saw one of these in person for the first time a few weeks ago. I didn't realize just how svelte they are until then.
    "Svelte" is the perfect word. I've wanted Diamondbacks since the mid-1970s when I first handled one in a gun shop. They were always a bit too expensive. Also, I came to more highly value the fact that awesome custom trigger work is much easier to come by when the firearm is a Smith and Wesson. So I never got one.

But they sure are special little revolvers, aren't they? :)

glens

Feb 13, 2020
    kingsland tx. 78639
    These Diamondback Pistol's are smooth as Silk. Haven't shot it in many Moon's. Bought it an a Dan Wesson 15-2 with all the
    Interchangeable Barrels (2",4" and 6") in 1976 at the same time for a song. Used a Christmas Bonus and Wife at the time went ballistic.

justmax

Well-Known
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    OK, here we go. Let's start with an

Alloy frame - Detective Specials/Taurus 9XX series size

6 shot .357 mag cylinder

Ejector rod long enough to facilitate a full 357 casing

Cylinder release of Smith and Wesson/Taurus style, then Ruger, Dan Wesson, then lastly Colt.

3" shrouded barrel (sleeved alloy shroud would be a plus)

Shrouded hammer Smith and Wesson bodyguard style

Last edited:
    Top Bottom