Redhawk 8 shot
    and a 686 Smith
    They are all my favorite..lol

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Thank you! Those are Hideous!

This is a topic near & dear to my heart.

Despite the full-lug barrels and vent rib on one of them, the Korth or Manurhin are the only ones that might suit me out of the box. Plus they’re quite pricey.

So I’ll stick with American made.

Despite the obvious advantages of stainless, I’d prefer a blued finish.

I love Smith K-frames, but durability with magnums disqualifies them. Quality issues disqualifies anything current.

The registered magnum is a great revolver, but too big.

The L-frame would be Goldilocks, we’re it not for the full lug.

A 586 Mountain Gun would be awesome, especially if built to pre-1966 standards. If Smith offered one now, I might overcome my distaste for their current offerings.

The Pythons predecessor, the Three-Fifty-Seven would check most of my boxes, however, both models went out of time frequently due to the hand bearing on the ratchet at ignition, and there’s not a lot of gunsmiths around anymore who know how to work on them.

The current Python supposedly fixes that, but it would need a reshaped barrel, replace the vent rib and new rear sight. But then we’re approaching the cost of an MR73 for a gun that would look like a Trooper MK III. No thank you.

The GP100 in the MC trim is a fine revolver with new sights (Bowen RC rear) and a real action job. Mine is a 10mm. I still prefer Smiths for DA shooting. Plus it’s a bit heavy.

My current candidate is a 160-series 4-inch Security Six. As soon as another custom project is complete, it will be going off to a gunsmith for an action job and custom front sight.

Single action would be either an original Ruger flat top or Colt New Frontier, 4 3/4“ barrel.
    My experience with the match champion was not too great, the cylinder was contacting the forcing cone at one spot, and the rear sight pin constantly walked out after only a few rounds.

It had the half lug, but the shaved sides on the barrel plus the huge "MATCH CHAMPION" killed the look for me.

RevolverGuy

Aug 8, 2013
    I agree that those would be satisfactory out of the box. However, that's only taking into account double-action revolvers. I note that you only give one throwaway sentence to single actions at the bottom of your post.

So since you're RevolverGuy, could you dive a little deeper there? The Picra is big and only useful for special purposes. Freedom Arms, though, can make a very nice, surprisingly compact (if heavy) .357 if you go through the options list; a round-butt, 3.5" to 5" Model 97 would be pretty sweet.

What's your opinion of Picra and, especially, Freedom Arms?

Wow, didn’t know there was a literary critic prowling the forum.

The post asks for my perfect .38/.357 revolver. To me that’s a double action, and DA’s are what I know the most about.

I like SAs as well, but to me, they’re better suited to larger bore sizes.

If you’re offended I didn’t write more about SAs, by all means fill us in.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I'll stay with my first choice, Ruger Old Model Blackhawk with Super Blackhawk fixtures and a 2 1/2 Leupold since I am 73 and need a crutch to shoot 100 yards. Sold my second choice S&W 27-2 deep blue pinned and recessed target hammer and trigger huge old rosewood grips ;), SWEET trigger right out of box and even better 20years later! Never owned a Python but loved every one I got to shoot.

Doons

FJB
    TGT Supporter
    May 22, 2022
    Fort Worth
    I have no need for a revolver, bought this with a plan to flip it after buying it for a ridiculous price. After I got it, shot it and did a couple small upgrades (site, grip)…. Its Staying put. I’m am by no means a revolver expert, that being said, this gun handles well, shoots straight and is easily manageable with .357mag in it. It has taken its place in a location in the house to be available if needed.
    E293C021-C093-490F-80C9-C9C36079B4FE.jpeg

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Wow, didn’t know there was a literary critic prowling the forum.
    My critic days are behind me. I really appreciate your post...it just left me wondering about SAs. Then you explained...
    ...perfect .38/.357 revolver. To me that’s a double action...
    ...and all is made clear.

Keep posting. You seem to know your stuff and we can always use more of that around here.

RevolverGuy

Aug 8, 2013
    I'll stay with my first choice, Ruger Old Model Blackhawk with Super Blackhawk fixtures and a 2 1/2 Leupold since I am 73 and need a crutch to shoot 100 yards. Sold my second choice S&W 27-2 deep blue pinned and recessed target hammer and trigger huge old rosewood grips ;), SWEET trigger right out of box and even better 20years later! Never owned a Python but loved every one I got to shoot.

In that case I’ll give you a pass on the scope.

But you’re still guilty of crimes against a classic gun for the vent rib.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    In that case I’ll give you a pass on the scope.

But you’re still guilty of crimes against a classic gun for the vent rib.
    I still have the original barrel and yes a difficult choice, be competitive in the Arizona heat with a vent rib barrel- or stay with first round eliminations, so I bought a takeoff (the guy went to a 4") and had it ribbed.
    So guilty as charged -however I can restore it with the original barrel, also did trigger work and hammer/trigger shims. The scope is recent and the forward screwhole permanent

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Aesthetically speaking, I find it hard to beat a 4 inched, half lugged, target stocks, trigger, and hammer, with the firing pin attached to the hammer, blued K-frame with no stupid hillary hole. Bonus points for being pinned and recessed.

I've owned a few Ruger DA revolvers. They are solid for sure but they ain't pretty.

Last edited:

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Aesthetically speaking, I find it hard to beat a 4 inched, half lugged, target stocks, trigger, and hammer, with the firing pin attached to the hammer, blued K-frame with no stupid hillary hole. Bonus points for being pinned and recessed.

I've owned a few Ruger DA revolvers. They are tanks for sure but they ain't pretty.
    I agree but since I mostly punch paper and shoot 50-100 yards I prefer the 6"barrel... not as pretty but a little sweeter shooter at ranges and better sight radius.
    Dang those old S&W triggers are great!

mikeb

Jul 2, 2022
    Hurst, TX
    One newer revolver that has my attention for features is the Taurus 692, SS, with 3 in barrel. It comes with a 9mm cylinder that will also shoot 380 acp. It's a 7 shot in both cylinders.

Guns308

May 9, 2022
    Abilene
    10 or 12 shot 357 thats no fatter than a 686. Full length under lug, stainless with engraved scroll work, buttery smooth action, beefy frame to handle all the shooting I can stand, 3 sets of grips, BBQ carry and rubber for the range, anti stick coating so the carbon doesn't make the stainless look dirty

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    10 or 12 shot 357 thats no fatter than a 686.
    If we're going to describe fantasies, this thread could go in some really odd directions. Some guys here would love to describe the service crew that would be included in the purchase of their new revolver. :)

Guns308

May 9, 2022
    Abilene
    If we're going to describe fantasies, this thread could go in some really odd directions. Some guys here would love to describe the service crew that would be included in the purchase of their new revolver. :)
    They said 'perfect' and perfect is usually a fantasy. There are always tradeoffs and things that could be better and things that are lacking with reality, just like all guns are not perfect. Some are good, bad, better and worse but all have issues.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Anbu9
    Top Bottom