• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Charlie

TGT Addict
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Barami Hip Grip
    1664639547872.png

Easiest, most comfortable, and least expensive way to carry a snubby. This is my second one (gave the first one to a friend) and I carry this way 99% of the time (inside the waistband).

sb47

Apr 17, 2013
    Never judge any gun just on looks alone. They are tools for hunting and self protection. The caliber should fit the task, be it varmint or big game.
    The perfect revolver is one that fits good in the hand and when you point it, it is easy the get on target without hunting for the sights. It should be a natural fit to the shooter and be reliable and easy to operate.
    Few people get the chance to shoot a number of different revolvers in order to get a true since of what fits the shooter.
    I own a number of revolvers and some fit me better then others.
    My old Ruger security six in .38/.357 I bought way back in 1986 fits me so well I almost never miss with it.
    I also have a few Heritage rough riders that also fit my hand very well, despite being a very cheap revolver. I also have a GP100 in SS with a 4'' barrel that doesn't fit me as well as my security six.
    I have about 7 revolvers and price nor looks have anything to do with how well they shoot.
    For me it's all about how well they preform, and if they look great all the better.
    I would have to give the nod to my security six with a 6'' barrel.

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Barami Hip Grip
    View attachment 347127
    Easiest, most comfortable, and least expensive way to carry a snubby. This is my second one (gave the first one to a friend) and I carry this way 99% of the time (inside the waistband).
    I have several of the long-since discontinued Hip Grips as well as 3 or 4 of the DeSantis Clip Grip. There have been a couple of other iterations of that idea, too, from Collins (no longer made) and Clipdraw. There are even 3D printing files out there to make variations of this idea that attach to the front rail of a pistol.

One note for folks considering it - For the Hip Grip to work, your belt must be narrow enough to fit between the cylinder and the clip, as it is in the picture Charlie posted. What's holding your revolver in place is that the bulge of the cylinder is below the belt, preventing the revolver from accidentally coming up out of your pants. The hook on the hip grip keeps the revolver from sliding down. Between those two, the revolver is locked in place and all is well.

However, I typically wear a very wide belt, so wide that the cylinder is inside the belt, not hanging below it. With that belt, since the cylinder isn't being held in place by being below the belt, it's very easy to sit down and have the entire revolver jump right up and off the belt, clattering to the floor. I speak from experience.

If I wore a suit with a narrow belt or just any narrow belt, a Hip Grip and a J-frame .38 (or a snubby K-frame) would probably be my everyday carry. When I wear a very wide belt (which is most of the time) they don't work for me.

Just a little caveat that I thought I'd mention since we haven't talked about this in a while.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    have not had an issue with their "tactical"ish belts using a clip grip.
    Most of my experience is coming from a very fat guy. That may change things a bit.

For example, I got out my BritArms rapid fire pistol yesterday. I can't use the custom grips on it any more. I got those grips when I weighed 100-150 pounds more than I do now. They're way too big for me now and don't fit at all.

I said that just to make the point that everybody's body needs different solutions. What works for one is garbage for someone else.

retired deputy

Mar 19, 2022
    the big country
    I am still looking for perfection. That would be a 3" K frame rb Smith with a Ruger LCR trigger and a Colt style cylinder release.

As that is all unrealistic in one gun, I will Just Stay with K frame Smiths, Ruger LCRs, and Colt D frames.

justmax

Well-Known
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    I have several of the long-since discontinued Hip Grips as well as 3 or 4 of the DeSantis Clip Grip. There have been a couple of other iterations of that idea, too, from Collins (no longer made) and Clipdraw. There are even 3D printing files out there to make variations of this idea that attach to the front rail of a pistol.

One note for folks considering it - For the Hip Grip to work, your belt must be narrow enough to fit between the cylinder and the clip, as it is in the picture Charlie posted. What's holding your revolver in place is that the bulge of the cylinder is below the belt, preventing the revolver from accidentally coming up out of your pants. The hook on the hip grip keeps the revolver from sliding down. Between those two, the revolver is locked in place and all is well.

However, I typically wear a very wide belt, so wide that the cylinder is inside the belt, not hanging below it. With that belt, since the cylinder isn't being held in place by being below the belt, it's very easy to sit down and have the entire revolver jump right up and off the belt, clattering to the floor. I speak from experience.

If I wore a suit with a narrow belt or just any narrow belt, a Hip Grip and a J-frame .38 (or a snubby K-frame) would probably be my everyday carry. When I wear a very wide belt (which is most of the time) they don't work for me.

Just a little caveat that I thought I'd mention since we haven't talked about this in a while.
    The Hip Grip is another product that I used to Rep. Product is discontinued as both of the "Jacks" have passed away. I have 30-40 of them (Old/New stock) in most all models.

AlteisenMkII

Jul 12, 2022
    San Antonio,TX
    I think the perfect 357 Mag to me would have to hold 8 rds like the Ruger Redhawk but also be able to mount optics on a ribbed barrel or a groove of sorts.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The Hip Grip is another product that I used to Rep. Product is discontinued as both of the "Jacks" have passed away. I have 30-40 of them (Old/New stock) in most all models.
    I have a couple for K-frames. They seemed like a good idea but I found all my K-frames were too heavy. I guess I need to find a skinny barrel, fixed sight round-butt K-frame with an aluminum frame...but those Model 12s have gotten a bit pricey. :)

How well do they work on L-frames? A Model 296 might be nice.

justmax

Well-Known
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    I have a couple for K-frames. They seemed like a good idea but I found all my K-frames were too heavy. I guess I need to find a skinny barrel, fixed sight round-butt K-frame with an aluminum frame...but those Model 12s have gotten a bit pricey. :)

How well do they work on L-frames? A Model 296 might be nice.
    I never tried them on an L-frame. I tried one on an M-65 3" and it was heavy after a short time. Although a M-12 would be nice, I .never had one. I found the only way to get 6 rounds comfortably is to go the Colt route. I carried an older Agent with one for a while. (Another I never should have sold off)

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Got some more work to do around the cylinder release, but here’s my perfect .357:

S&W 686, green fiber optic front, fixed rear, just replaced the rosewood with walnut grips by Altamont
    View attachment 365343

I lubs her.
    This thread is for the perfect revolver.

And you show up with a hillary hole gun? :spank::beat::torched:

In all seriousness, nice gun

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    >

I have several revolvers, and have had quite a few.

On Christmas Eve 1970, I bought a nib Colt Python .357 with my last $300. I had literally “lost everything” on August 3, same year, when Celia struck Corpus Christi; car, boat, home, books, office, income; all gone.

I still have that Python, actually carried it a while in the Military. It hasn’t been fired in some 20 years; but in any emergency, I’d take it over any of my S&W’s any day. I was in the Army while the Stoner’s and 9mm’s were being phased-in, so I had all the .45ACP & .38Spl I could put through the Python and my Colt Series 80 “Gold Cup”. I like 1911’s, always have; but the Python is just better.

So, in my dotage, I bought a brand new OWB Bianchi and plan to O C that great 52 yo Python.

And, don’t worry, there’ll be a concealed J-frame or GLOCK somewhere on me.

”SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!”

leVieux

Top Bottom