Desert Eagle

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Wedge, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Wedge

Wedge Member

Mar 2, 2009
    I see alot of ya shoot big caliber handguns and of course recoil is a hot topic. Was wondering what was thought of the 50. caliber. The reason I ask is the recoil on this gun is far less then a .44 mag revolver but yet quite a bit more power. It seems like a perfect option for someone looking for a big caliber gun that is comfortable to shoot. Also u have more rounds due to being semi auto. I use 350 grn bullets in mine. Muzzle flash is extreme but recoil is not thanks to being semi auto.

2. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    The desert eagle shoots the .50 Express Action right? Not the .500 S&W?

3. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Deagles are chambered in .50 Action Express, as well as .44 Magnum, .357 Magnum, and I believe there are some in .41 Action Express as well.

The Desert Eagle is a beast of a gun, but the recoil is not bad at all compared to similar chamberings in a revolver. The shear mass of the gun and cycling action nips alot of the impact. The .50 AE definitely is one of the bigger muzzle flash rounds out there, it's fun to shoot and draws alot of attention.

Some day I might have to buy one, but I doubt it'll be anytime soon.

4. Vellcrow

Vellcrow Active Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    The .50AE Desert Eagle is a waste. The ammo is too expensive and too hard to obtain. The MK XIX frame makes the already large Desert Eagle even larger (not by much, but it still a hair bigger...).

The best Desert Eagle ever made is the Mark VII in .44mag. I should know, I've had three of them.

5. boycan

boycan Active Member

Mar 6, 2009
    North Dallas
    HMM I've had three GM products also? :rofl: JK wish I could afford any DE :fighting0010:

6. crossfire

crossfire New Member

Apr 29, 2008
    I lost interest in the Desert Eagle when they killed the 14" barrel .357-44 Bain & Davis project. That would have been an outrageous hunting pistol.

7. Wedge

Wedge Member

Mar 2, 2009
    You must like them if ya had 3. 50 is def not a waste once u shoot one and realize how easy it is to shoot. The gun is built like fort knox. I think its a waste in 44 only because its so easy to shoot in 50. Price is about the same. I wouldnt spend that kind of money on a handgun unless its something different/special and the 50 is that. If I wanted one in 44 I would get a revolver and save the money. I do agree the ammo is not cheap but not hard to get. Hell what is cheap when it comes to guns. Just my oppinion.

8. outdare

outdare Well-Known TGT Supporter

Jul 24, 2009
    Houston
    I have a DE 50. It is a fun gun to shoot. The ammo is a bit pricey, but so are 308 rounds. It will draw attention at the range. I think the sound or concussion from shooting it will get most people’s attention more so than the muzzle flash. I can shoot decent groups at 75yds with it.

9. mclarenross

mclarenross Member

The reason the DE is so easy to shoot versus a wheel gun is its operating system. It has basically an M-14 or M1 Garand operating system. There are gas ports in the barrel that push a piston back to operate the slide and unlock the rotating bolt assembly. That mechanism absorbs a ton of that recoil energy. I have no trouble shooting it 1 handed, where as I dont like to shoot comparable 44 mag loads one handed from my Blackhawk.

Ammo = expensive. Solution = handloads.

10. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Another reason it's easier to shoot a .50AE (Action Express) than a .44 mag is that it has LESS energy than a .44 mag running out of a revolver.