• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wedge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I see alot of ya shoot big caliber handguns and of course recoil is a hot topic. Was wondering what was thought of the 50. caliber. The reason I ask is the recoil on this gun is far less then a .44 mag revolver but yet quite a bit more power. It seems like a perfect option for someone looking for a big caliber gun that is comfortable to shoot. Also u have more rounds due to being semi auto. I use 350 grn bullets in mine. Muzzle flash is extreme but recoil is not thanks to being semi auto.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Deagles are chambered in .50 Action Express, as well as .44 Magnum, .357 Magnum, and I believe there are some in .41 Action Express as well.

The Desert Eagle is a beast of a gun, but the recoil is not bad at all compared to similar chamberings in a revolver. The shear mass of the gun and cycling action nips alot of the impact. The .50 AE definitely is one of the bigger muzzle flash rounds out there, it's fun to shoot and draws alot of attention.

Some day I might have to buy one, but I doubt it'll be anytime soon.

Vellcrow

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    The .50AE Desert Eagle is a waste. The ammo is too expensive and too hard to obtain. The MK XIX frame makes the already large Desert Eagle even larger (not by much, but it still a hair bigger...).

The best Desert Eagle ever made is the Mark VII in .44mag. I should know, I've had three of them.

boycan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    North Dallas
    The .50AE Desert Eagle is a waste. The ammo is too expensive and too hard to obtain. The MK XIX frame makes the already large Desert Eagle even larger (not by much, but it still a hair bigger...).

The best Desert Eagle ever made is the Mark VII in .44mag. I should know, I've had three of them.

HMM I've had three GM products also? JK wish I could afford any DE

crossfire

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    I lost interest in the Desert Eagle when they killed the 14" barrel .357-44 Bain & Davis project. That would have been an outrageous hunting pistol.

Wedge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    You must like them if ya had 3. 50 is def not a waste once u shoot one and realize how easy it is to shoot. The gun is built like fort knox. I think its a waste in 44 only because its so easy to shoot in 50. Price is about the same. I wouldnt spend that kind of money on a handgun unless its something different/special and the 50 is that. If I wanted one in 44 I would get a revolver and save the money. I do agree the ammo is not cheap but not hard to get. Hell what is cheap when it comes to guns. Just my oppinion.

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    I have a DE 50. It is a fun gun to shoot. The ammo is a bit pricey, but so are 308 rounds. It will draw attention at the range. I think the sound or concussion from shooting it will get most people’s attention more so than the muzzle flash. I can shoot decent groups at 75yds with it.

mclarenross

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The reason the DE is so easy to shoot versus a wheel gun is its operating system. It has basically an M-14 or M1 Garand operating system. There are gas ports in the barrel that push a piston back to operate the slide and unlock the rotating bolt assembly. That mechanism absorbs a ton of that recoil energy. I have no trouble shooting it 1 handed, where as I dont like to shoot comparable 44 mag loads one handed from my Blackhawk.

Ammo = expensive. Solution = handloads.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    ive never had one but my 2 cents says, big muzzle flash = tactical disadvantage. unless you jsut want to look cool at the range... personally, i like funtionality. a well placed 9mm round will do more damage (to your target) than a poory aimed .50 AE, or even .50 BMG for that matter. once again, jsut my 2 cents.
    hehe im running low on change ;)

Wedge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    The flash I dont see its to fast. Ive been told about the flash from people looking at me from the side. Of course never shot it in the dark. Just imagine a poor placed 9mm shot compared to a well placed .50 cal shot game over. Haha had to give ya some raz on that. The Israel police use these weopans as there side arms. Ive allways been a fan of big hole big damage as compared to several small holes. Thats why I like my .45 for CHL gun. As we all know thats one of those topics that we could discuss for days with no agreements. I have seen several diff caliber gunshot wounds though in my line of work(firefighter/medic) and thats all I will say about that.

Wedge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I dont know KINGO about less power

Muzzle NRG
    .44 275 grn remm bullet--931 ft lbs
    .50 325 grn ActExp bullet--1414 ft lbs

FPS
    44--1275
    50--1400

Picked 2 bullets in the middle range

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I dont know KINGO about less power

Muzzle NRG
    .44 275 grn remm bullet--931 ft lbs
    .50 325 grn ActExp bullet--1414 ft lbs

FPS
    44--1275
    50--1400

Picked 2 bullets in the middle range

Wedge, those are not the correct ballistics for .44 MAG, see below
    [url]http://www.shootingtimes.com/ballistics/44_rem_mag.html[/URL]
    At the muzzle, 1524-1859 ft lbs.

50AE
    [url]http://www.shootingtimes.com/ballistics/50_action_express.html[/URL]
    At the muzzle 1414 ft lbs.

Perhaps you looked at .44 Special? Also feel free to check [url]www.gunsandammomag.com[/URL] and go to their ballistics tables. It looks like you got the .50AE numbers right, but not the .44 Magnum.

Wedge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I think it all depends on what ya read. My info is from Gun Digest and Shooters Bible 2006/2007 year. Def not looking at .44 special. If your stats are accurate I think I still like having more lead. I know I just watched a show on the history of the handgun and they shot a .44 mag 240 grain and fps was 1460 then didnt give NRG. Its interesting how the stats can be so different. I used to shoot 240 grn remmington and 210 winchester silver tip and the 210 hit harder in my hand. This was a model 629/44 mag Smith 5 inch barrel. Thanks 4 the info.

BurkGlocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    My wife bought one for me back in 1999 and it was in my opinion too pretty to shoot. Plus being in the $1500 range for a pistol I wasnt going to shoot, it wasnt worth it. I sold it and bought three more pistols and a .22 rifle. One of the best decisions I ever made, even if they are far and few between...

crazy_taco

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    El Paso
    For me, my .50AE DE is a novelty pistol. Unless you use it to hunt with, shoot in matches, or shoot steel targets, it has no practical use. Especially not with the short barrel. It's not a combat/tactical pistol. I've had people ask me if I carry it. I usually tell them they play COD4/CS:S too much. Though I have heard stories of people carrying 500 SW revolvers. That's excessive in my opinion.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    For me, my .50AE DE is a novelty pistol. Unless you use it to hunt with, shoot in matches, or shoot steel targets, it has no practical use. Especially not with the short barrel. It's not a combat/tactical pistol. I've had people ask me if I carry it. I usually tell them they play COD4/CS:S too much. Though I have heard stories of people carrying 500 SW revolvers. That's excessive in my opinion.

That would be intersting to explain to a DA why there is a giant hole in the bad guy . . . . and the tree, car, and building behind him.

Top Bottom