• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I've been looking at that for my next build.
    Deciding between 6.5 Grendel and 7.62x40.

Sent from my AN/PRC-77 using Tapatalk.

Personally, I'd go .300 BLK over 7.62x40. Not enough performance difference to matter in the supersonic loads, and the BLK should handle subsonic much better.

What the heck is the 7.62x40? Never heard of it.

A .30" caliber created for the AR15. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62×40mm_Wilson_Tactical
    DK Firearms

tpepper70

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    Alright. First I have to apologize to OP for high jacking this thread. Dang good thread and I'm learning a lot. I've been doing a good bit of research and, since I reload and have lots of 308 caliber bullets, I'm thinking the 300 AAC would be better for me. However, I have no plans in running sub-sonic. This will be a hog/deer rifle and I may load up to 150grn bullets but probably stick to 125 Nosler BT's or Accubonds. So with all this said, I read a lot about the 300 being a great sub-sonic round and a little about super-sonic having some issues. What do I need to do to make sure I have no issues running super-sonic? My max range will be 200-300 yards. Thanks again.

okie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Best thing would be to reload several different grn bullets and take it out and just play with it till you find the right fit and then go from there. If I ever get mine built ( Just waiting on a barrel) Ill do it and find a Sub and Super Load I like and then just spend time with the reloader till I get a good stock pile.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    The bolt catch pin and the detent for the takedown pin are the two major buggers that get lost very very easy or damaged. Buy 5 extra of each and hopefully you'll have some extras for buddies that get themselves in a bind.

The other carefull part is to not bust the trigger guard ears as they can break driving in the pin there.

I found punches and roll pin punches at sears hardware for not that much. Check Harbor Freight if you have one close with a 40% off coupon.

IF you decide to assemble your own upper a nice vice secured to a solid workbench would be a great thing to have with some ar15 vice blocks.

It can be done without but the whole time you'll be wanting the setup above.

If you don't want scratches on the receiver put some electric tape down first and get a nylon\plastic small hammer.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom