• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robb in Austin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Gtown
    With the $50 lower post, I've developed an interest in building an AR.

But, I know nothing about doing so. Or know anything about ARs in general. And I don't need one, although I suppose I could target/hog hunt with one(I have a small opportunity to go hunting next summer). Could you deer hunt with one(I have this desire to have a rifle I could survive with if needed)? And frankly, I don't know anything about rifles in general. I've shot a few over the years and own a .22 but other than that....

What say you with those with experience?
    Target Sports

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis

But, I know nothing about doing so. Or know anything about ARs in general. And I don't need one, although I suppose I could target/hog hunt with one(I have a small opportunity to go hunting next summer). Could you deer hunt with one(I have this desire to have a rifle I could survive with if needed)? And frankly, I don't know anything about rifles in general. I've shot a few over the years and own a .22 but other than that....

556 isnt a great hunting round but if you are wanting to build one who says it has to be 556!

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    556 isnt a great hunting round but if you are wanting to build one who says it has to be 556!

Exactly. 6.8 SPC would make a fine hunting caliber and you could have a 5.56 and a 6.8 upper...

I bought two lowers to build on. One of them will be the first item I transfer into a new trust so that I can start the Form 1 / SBR process. It took a lot of reading to get to this point... that and making sure that since I already possess a full-length AR that I didn't run out and buy the short upper willy-nilly. If anything, I'll buy it (the upper) last, after I've ordered the lower parts, had the receiver engraved with the trust info, etc.

No idea what I'll do with the second lower - I have no desire for an AR-pistol.

Definitely looking forward to it as a slow, steady project, and one I fund as I go. Keep the thread alive as you decide what and how to build!

Robb in Austin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Gtown
    Better for hunting, ammo availability, etc. You know. Better. :D

Although, from a quick Google searching of 6.8 it looks good and probably better for my 'needs'.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)

If you're mechanically inclined and love investigating/learning new things, building an AR15 pattern rifle is tons of fun. The basic AR15 has so many variants due to different components. After that, there's lots other calibers that can be selected for an AR pattern rifle.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    Anger: you're not helping in this decision making process. ;)

In looking at the PSA site this; PSA Blemished Picto Lower and PTAC MOE Lower Build Kit looks intriguing. No caliber on the lower(good for 556 and 6.8), all the parts needed for a lower, cheap, etc. Thoughts?

I've bought items like this from psa before. hard to beat the value sometimes. a good lpk will run 50 to 60 and a cheap utg stock kit about 45. so think of the psa deal as the lower for 50, lkp for 50, sand the moe stock kit for 50 plus ship and ffl xfer for the lower. not too shabby. psa had compete ptac uppers on bf for 295 shipped. complete ar for 450 ish and you do some of the assembly which i consider fun.

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    I found one of those AR exploded parts view gun mats to actually be very helpful when putting the parts together. Along with the above mentioned the front sight jig tool sure makes that part much easier.
    I will tell you this much go out and look, touch, handle, and shoot as many different variants of the platform as possible before you begin ordering and attaching parts.
    Research it, there's more than enough instructional videos out there and I found Brownell's website to have very helpful step-by-step videos.
    Dont rush or half ass anything, nothing's worse than being ready to finally get some trigger time only to discover you didn't tighten and lock down the castle nut (don't ask me how I know).
    Have fun with it!

tpepper70

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    I'm also in this same predicament. Do I purchase a complete lower and upper assembly, buy a complete AR or buy a rifle kit and stripped lower and do it myself. I'm confident I can assemble everything, but do I want to. Decisions decisions.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom