• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    EOW March 3 2014. It will be 6 years this year since we lost a shining example of what "the best of us" means.

You guys probably have never heard of Detective John Hobbs. He was a member of Phoenix police departments fugitive apprehension detail. He was killed while attempting to apprehend a murder suspect.

Even though John was fatally wounded at the beginning of the fire fight John continued the fight till the suspect was killed.

This incident took place in a busy intersection after the suspect wrecked his car and exited his vehicle shooting. John saved who knows how many lives that day including his partner who was also shot. A desperate fleeing murder suspect who has no concern for anything except getting away and already started shooting is of extreme danger to everyone. We are all fortunate John was there.

John was a hero. He was the best of us all. A staunch 2a proponent, an outstanding smith, a selfless giver of time and talent, a Father and husband and my friend.

I remember this today as I put on his memorial t-shirt.

So if you pray, remember his wife and daughters. They lost a giant of a man.

I wont ever forget.
    DK Firearms

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I met John when he offered to work on a 1911 I had a problem with. I was already disabled/retired never worked with him for his department or even communicated with him before that out of the blue pm.

I got to his house, met his wife and kids and saw his safe full of guns he was working on for free. He had at least a dozen Glocks he was doing grip work on and 1911s he did tuning on. All for free for his fellow officers.

That's the kind of guy he was off duty and you now know how he was on duty.

I know he wasnt from Texas but in todays world with the negative crap about police I thought I would throw a bit of reality and remembrance.

Thanks.

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Please indulge me as I post this every year to remember John.

John was special. The model police officer. A staunch pro gun guy. One of the best pistol Smith's I've known. I miss him.

He was already mortally wounded but killed the bastard who killed him and nearly killed his partner.
    Heroic. Absolutely heroic.

A colleague used those words to describe the last moments of Phoenix police Detective John Hobbs' life.

"We're talking about an officer who got shot and doesn't give up the fight," police spokesman Steve Martos said.

Already mortally wounded and with his partner down, Hobbs managed to return fire at the fugitive who'd shot him and is believed to have killed the fugitive.

I wont forget you my friend.

HawkeyeSATX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Sorry to hear of your loss.
    He certainly did the most heroic thing possible, and sacrificed his life so others may live.
    Being a former law enforcement officer, you never know when you might, or will put your life on the line to save others, but you never back down from doing your duty.
    May he rest in everlasting peace!
    God bless him, and he is certainly having God praise him, and love him for his bravery!

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Thursday is 8 years.

Still missed.

Memorial T Shirt. Back.

1646041228575132424506236083917.jpg

Front

16460412868152091393371717268568.jpg

Last edited:

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm

From another thread I found i forgot i started.

You guys probably have never heard of Detective John Hobbs. He was a member of Phoenix police departments fugitive apprehension detail. He was killed while attempting to apprehend a murder suspect.

Even though John was fatally wounded at the beginning of the fire fight John continued the fight till the suspect was killed.

This incident took place in a busy intersection after the suspect wrecked his car and exited his vehicle shooting. John saved who knows how many lives that day including his partner who was also shot. A desperate fleeing murder suspect who has no concern for anything except getting away and already started shooting is of extreme danger to everyone. We are all fortunate John was there.

John was a hero. He was the best of us all. A staunch 2a proponent, an outstanding smith, a selfless giver of time and talent, a Father and husband and my friend.

If you pray remember his wife and daughters.

Top Bottom