• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Thanks for the tip. The Answer is the station I listen to most and I highly recommend it.

TexasR.N.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Rampart
    You're welcome.

I am a fan of 660 as well.

I am unimpressed w/ Dewhurst even more after this mornings interview. What to do, what to do.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    So for those of us who missed it, how about a recap? Did Mark really go after him or did he just lob some softballs?

TexasR.N.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Rampart
    So for those of us who missed it, how about a recap? Did Mark really go after him or did he just lob some softballs?
    FWIW, it's my opinion that he took Dewhurst to task over the Patrick ads (suicide attempt and charity auction).
    Davis kept pressing Dewhurst on why the ads were still up on Dewhursts website (one of them anyways) if he (Dewhurst) promised to take them down. This being related to the shirtless charity ad.
    Dewhursts' stammering made it sound like he was lying every time he talked. Again, IMHO.

I am going to vote tomorrow, I imagine I'll vote Patrick.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Dewhursts' stammering made it sound like he was lying every time he talked. Again, IMHO.
    In a Patrick ad on TV last night he said as LG he would lower property taxes. Sounds great, right? But how does a LG do that since my property taxes go to my county, city and local schools? Great choice we have between liars.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    In a Patrick ad on TV last night he said as LG he would lower property taxes. Sounds great, right? But how does a LG do that since my property taxes go to my county, city and local schools? Great choice we have between liars.

The Legislature can and does impose caps on the rate and limits on the annual increases that cities, counties and school districts can collect. Now, a Lt. Governor cannot unilaterally impose these - obviously he needs the Legislature to vote for it and the Governor to sign it and all of the politics that goes along with that - so take that promise with a grain of salt, but yes, there are some things he/they can do.

Last edited:

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    The Legislature can and does impose caps on the rate and limits on the annual increases that cities, counties and school districts can collect. Now, a Lt. Governor cannot unilaterally impose these - obviously he needs the Legislature to vote for it and the Governor to sign it and all of the politics that goes along with that - so that that promise with a grain of salt, but yes, there are some things he/they can do.
    In the ad he said "I will lower property taxes." He didn't say he would work to lower property taxes or tax rates, or slow the rate of property tax increases. To me, what he said was a lie.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    In the ad he said "I will lower property taxes." He didn't say he would work to lower property taxes or tax rates, or slow the rate of property tax increases. To me, what he said was a lie.

Yes, I get it. He can't legitimately say that because it's not unilaterally up to him. It's a campaign pledge, which should never be taken as literal truth no matter who they come from. I'm just saying that the Legislature does have some theoretical power over property taxes, that's all.

I would also note that based on what I know about the man, I believe that he sincerely would like to lower property taxes and will work to do so as Lt. Governor. As opposed to, say, Leticia Van De Putte who would be chomping at the bit to raise them as high as she possibly could.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX

What sounds better, "I will" or "I'll try"? While most campaign promises are fluff, I'll take an "I will" over silence or "I won't". All to be taken with a grain of salt. Keep them to their promises though. Keep the pressure on them to do what you want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    What sounds better, "I will" or "I'll try"? While most campaign promises are fluff, I'll take an "I will" over silence or "I won't". All to be taken with a grain of salt. Keep them to their promises though. Keep the pressure on them to do what you want.
    To each his own - I prefer an honest "I will try", or even better "I will work to", over an obvious sleazy lie said simply to suck in uninformed voters.

TexasR.N.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Rampart
    In a Patrick ad on TV last night he said as LG he would lower property taxes. Sounds great, right? But how does a LG do that since my property taxes go to my county, city and local schools?

I thought I heard Dewhurst say they (legislature) could only cap the amount or percentage that the school districts can raise for taxes. So I suppose that is one way they would keep taxes from being raised, but I don't know how that will lower them.

Great choice we have between liars.
    I don't know that there is a politician that I believe and or trust. As much as I like Ted Cruz, at the end of the day he is a politician, and politicians serve themselves, each other, and their business interests. This is painful for me to realize and say, because I have never been more politically active in my life. I am just trying to stay involved until the bitter end.

Top Bottom