Join TexasGunTalk

Dfw area help.

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by Sam7sf, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Sam7sf

Sam7sf TGT Addict

Apr 13, 2018
    A unique post. In a few months I will be looking for extra bodies to help me out. I need to train for jui jitsu testing and after I moved here from Oregon I don’t really know anybody. I’m not certified to teach but the nearest testing center is south of San Antonio. If you have any formal training I would love to find a workout and sparring buddy. If you know nothing and would like to learn the Gracie system and have access to it for free, I will build you up so I have a training buddy.

I live with my wife and son so be of sound mind and good character. This would be in my home. If you’re also married or together with someone this would be a neat thing to learn. Would also be working with focus mitts and doing some boxing and kick boxing drills. It’s fun. Thought I would throw it out there. :)

2. SloppyShooter

SloppyShooter Certifiable

Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    Please leave, you don't belong here.

Wildcat Diva, pronstar and seeker_two like this.
  3. sharkey

sharkey Well-Known

Feb 25, 2013
    My buddy is working on his black belt and trains at Lucky's in Southlake. Lots of good schools around, Travis Luter's place is 5 min from my house. That same buddy has hosted some weekend classes and I have taken Cecil Burch's class 2X (can't remember name of class).
    My issue has always been the cash for the monthly fee. I don't want to be an expert, I just want to practice enough to come out on top of physical force encounter.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Sam7sf likes this.
  4. Sam7sf

Sam7sf TGT Addict

Apr 13, 2018
    How far along are you? Need help with anything?

My testing will be for Gracie combatives FYI I paid for a year of access to my online account.

5. deemus

deemus my mama says I'm special

Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Sam7sf likes this.
  6. Sam7sf

Sam7sf TGT Addict

Apr 13, 2018
    Right on thank you. I’ll ask if their a testing center for the system im in. It says Gracie but also says bjj. So I’m confused. I heard the different systems were merging I’ll check it out. Again thank you

I was told by my instructor a bjj place can recognize my system if it’s Pedro Sauer affiliated.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  7. Kosh75287

Kosh75287 Active Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    Sorta not on topic, but I'D like to find a Jiu-Jitsu studio that works with the over-50 set, and whilst wearing street-clothes, in the Plano area. Forgot to add, mornings only.

seeker_two and equin like this.
  8. Sam7sf

Sam7sf TGT Addict

Apr 13, 2018
    Have you walked in to a studio and talked to people? If not do it. :) it’s for everyone and you’re age is not an issue. Everyone I have met(instructor wise) has been great. You know i remember a late 50’s 5 foot nothing guy who had one of the nastiest rear naked chokes ever.

All gyms will have you wear gi pants but that’s not to say you can’t practice at home with clothes on. I’d be game to spar with clothes once you got more time on the mat.

9. Kosh75287

Kosh75287 Active Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    I thought I might ask here, first. Your idea's certainly sound, though.

10. Sam7sf

Sam7sf TGT Addict

Apr 13, 2018
    No worries if I can help you get going I will. This is a great activity.