• ...and so much more!
  • Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    A unique post. In a few months I will be looking for extra bodies to help me out. I need to train for jui jitsu testing and after I moved here from Oregon I don’t really know anybody. I’m not certified to teach but the nearest testing center is south of San Antonio. If you have any formal training I would love to find a workout and sparring buddy. If you know nothing and would like to learn the Gracie system and have access to it for free, I will build you up so I have a training buddy.

I live with my wife and son so be of sound mind and good character. This would be in my home. If you’re also married or together with someone this would be a neat thing to learn. Would also be working with focus mitts and doing some boxing and kick boxing drills. It’s fun. Thought I would throw it out there. :)
    Target Sports

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    My buddy is working on his black belt and trains at Lucky's in Southlake. Lots of good schools around, Travis Luter's place is 5 min from my house. That same buddy has hosted some weekend classes and I have taken Cecil Burch's class 2X (can't remember name of class).
    My issue has always been the cash for the monthly fee. I don't want to be an expert, I just want to practice enough to come out on top of physical force encounter.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    My buddy is working on his black belt and trains at Lucky's in Southlake. Lots of good schools around, Travis Luter's place is 5 min from my house. That same buddy has hosted some weekend classes and I have taken Cecil Burch's class 2X (can't remember name of class).
    My issue has always been the cash for the monthly fee. I don't want to be an expert, I just want to practice enough to come out on top of physical force encounter.

How far along are you? Need help with anything?

My testing will be for Gracie combatives FYI I paid for a year of access to my online account.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    One of my friends works out at the Allen location.

http://graciegymtexas.com/
    Right on thank you. I’ll ask if their a testing center for the system im in. It says Gracie but also says bjj. So I’m confused. I heard the different systems were merging I’ll check it out. Again thank you

I was told by my instructor a bjj place can recognize my system if it’s Pedro Sauer affiliated.

Last edited:

Kosh75287

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    Sorta not on topic, but I'D like to find a Jiu-Jitsu studio that works with the over-50 set, and whilst wearing street-clothes, in the Plano area. Forgot to add, mornings only.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Sorta not on topic, but I'D like to find a Jiu-Jitsu studio that works with the over-50 set, and whilst wearing street-clothes, in the Plano area. Forgot to add, mornings only.
    Have you walked in to a studio and talked to people? If not do it. :) it’s for everyone and you’re age is not an issue. Everyone I have met(instructor wise) has been great. You know i remember a late 50’s 5 foot nothing guy who had one of the nastiest rear naked chokes ever.

All gyms will have you wear gi pants but that’s not to say you can’t practice at home with clothes on. I’d be game to spar with clothes once you got more time on the mat.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I will also add if anyone is interested in working out with me I’m big on safety details.

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    How far along are you? Need help with anything?

My testing will be for Gracie combatives FYI I paid for a year of access to my online account.
    Not far at all. I just took the 2 weekend seminars and another from a guy from CA. I have history in TKD and took a few months of Krav. When I was on patrol decades ago, a group would train with the Busseys at 303 Gym.

I need to get back into it. There is a place called FtW Combatives I wanted to try but they are kinda on the wrong side of town especially since I work in Dls.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Not far at all. I just took the 2 weekend seminars and another from a guy from CA. I have history in TKD and took a few months of Krav. When I was on patrol decades ago, a group would train with the Busseys at 303 Gym.

I need to get back into it. There is a place called FtW Combatives I wanted to try but they are kinda on the wrong side of town especially since I work in Dls.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
    Pm me anytime. I think you would have fun and pick things up quickly. My two cents on krav...it’s crazy how much people charge for it and from what I have seen it does offer creative ways to defend yourself but at it’s core is a rehashing of already existing fighting styles. Plus I worry how they build people up. I’m not saying all their instructors are like this but I have seen cases when teaching people that know nothing about stand up, skip certain important fundamentals. most schools of many arts will train students for thugs or drunks who pull obvious badguy indicators. What about surviving a fight with an ex cop, servicemen, cage fighter, ect? There are times it’s not about winning as it’s about holding a skilled person at bay.

A lot of skilled bad mofos out there better than us, so we have to have certain fundamentals to help us out.I remember a young drunk boxer who 1, it helped he was drunk and 2, didn’t know any ground game.

Last edited:

equin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Waxahachie, TX
    Where is your new place going to be? I'm in my early 50's. About 10 years ago, I started taking what I thought were self defense classes. Turns out it was MMA training. I remember first seeing an MMA bout on TV and wondered how such a thing could be legal with how brutal it looked - lol.

Anyway, I loved the classes, but constantly got injured - fractured radius, fractured left rib, weird hip muscle sprain, jaw wouldn't close tightly for a week - twice - after solid right crosses (guess I never learned how to protect my left side). It was to the point where I'd be lucky if I were healthy enough to go once a month with all the injuries my middle-aged, weakling body was sustaining. To be fair, most of the guys I sparred with were much younger (late teens and early 20's), had lots of experience and were serious competitors in the amateur circuit, with one guy starting to go pro after winning the Texas amateur middle-weight championship. So my beginner skill level was no where near their level.

Even though I'm now in my 50's, I'd still like to learn some kind of martial art, but without sustaining so many sidelining injuries.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Where is your new place going to be? I'm in my early 50's. About 10 years ago, I started taking what I thought were self defense classes. Turns out it was MMA training. I remember first seeing an MMA bout on TV and wondered how such a thing could be legal with how brutal it looked - lol.

Anyway, I loved the classes, but constantly got injured - fractured radius, fractured left rib, weird hip muscle sprain, jaw wouldn't close tightly for a week - twice - after solid right crosses (guess I never learned how to protect my left side). It was to the point where I'd be lucky if I were healthy enough to go once a month with all the injuries my middle-aged, weakling body was sustaining. To be fair, most of the guys I sparred with were much younger (late teens and early 20's), had lots of experience and were serious competitors in the amateur circuit, with one guy starting to go pro after winning the Texas amateur middle-weight championship. So my beginner skill level was no where near their level.

Even though I'm now in my 50's, I'd still like to learn some kind of martial art, but without sustaining so many sidelining injuries.
    My place is in Bedford. Feel free to pm me anytime. I’m pretty laid back and always think safety. One of the rules or ways of thinking in jui jitsu is position over submission. So defending yourself doesn’t require beating yourself up to learn muscle memory or use it. You can be old and slow but as long as your calm and just let your muscle memory work, the opportunity to shut down the bad guy will reveal itself. Or what are called indicators in training.

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    I know a guy who is into that hobby. He is the one who suggest I buy a pocket bo staff..which by the way hasnt come in yet. He hangs at a sports grill in Hurst called Broncos. He usually shows up after noon. I forget his name right now..but I will check next I see him.
    http://broncossportsbar.com/

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Is that a pocket bo staff in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

Top Bottom