APOD Firearms

DFW Gun Range - what takes them so damned long to do an FFL transfer?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    The FFL I do business with I used first for transfers. Now I have bought two guns from him. I did that because of his Customer service and responsiveness.

boomgoesthedynamite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2013
    Sachse (NE DFW)
    Is there a difference in process from the ffl perspective of buying a firearm from a wholesaler and selling it vs transfering? It seems odd that there would only be one person who could process a transfer. Perhaps there is only one person that touches the bound book?

My take on this somewhat contrary. The OP knew their process ahead of time and tried to bypass it.

The counter to this is the process seems broken/not customer friendly.

I think people need to accept the processes they know of and businesses should try to be more accommodating and have more customer friendly processes in general.

I am not condoning nor chastising any behavior or process involved, just putting out my 40% of a nickel.

I am not very familiar with transfers, having only done 1 so far. It was painless and the ffl called me and said it was ready before Bud's even told me they shipped it.

Exile Machine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Dallas Texas
    The OP knew their process ahead of time and tried to bypass it.

I'd say it more like this: The OP knew their process ahead of time, then after what seemed a reasonable length of time had passed, assumed his order had fallen through the cracks in their process and went there in person to try to complete the transaction. I just assumed they'd dropped the ball. When I was there and told I'd have to wait for that call I didn't make a scene and demand to see the manager, nothing like that. So don't say I tried to bypass it, that's not accurate.

Now I know, they have a serious flaw in their business model and will take my future business elsewhere.

What should be made clear on their website is that transfers can take 3 or more days to process. This would cut down on their transfer load greatly (by shifting it to their competitors) and possibly eliminate the need for them to hire or train additional staff. But at great potential loss of business. This is a business opportunity for them that they frankly are squandering.

-Mark

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    I use an FFL in Plano too - $10 bucks w/CHL & $20 w/o; I've used him for the last five years. I think one time I had to wait two days (because he was going to be out of town) but all the other times I picked my firearm up the very next day - couple of times, it's been on the same day he received it(!) - kinda depends on our personal schedules meshing up.

Sent from my Apple thang.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    What happens if someone walks in and wants to buy a handgun, do they tell them to come back when they call on the phone?

boomgoesthedynamite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2013
    Sachse (NE DFW)
    I'd say it more like this: The OP knew their process ahead of time, then after what seemed a reasonable length of time had passed, assumed his order had fallen through the cracks in their process and went there in person to try to complete the transaction. I just assumed they'd dropped the ball. When I was there and told I'd have to wait for that call I didn't make a scene and demand to see the manager, nothing like that. So don't say I tried to bypass it, that's not accurate.

Now I know, they have a serious flaw in their business model and will take my future business elsewhere.

What should be made clear on their website is that transfers can take 3 or more days to process. This would cut down on their transfer load greatly (by shifting it to their competitors) and possibly eliminate the need for them to hire or train additional staff. But at great potential loss of business. This is a business opportunity for them that they frankly are squandering.

-Mark
    I apologize for not recalling the slipped through the cracks statement in the later response. I believe you did something reasonable.

I agree that the process should be better explained ahead of time so people can decide if they want to wait an additional amount of time.

Exile Machine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Dallas Texas
    UPDATE: 4/15: Just got an email from the COO. Delay was due to a family emergency. They've got my firearm ready and waived the transfer fee, and thrown in a few range passes for goodwill. Good save DFW Gun Range! I consider the matter resolved satisfactorily.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I am an FFL and the paperwork is trivial. That is not a valid excuse. Only a couple of minutes. Now large volume of xfers coming in every day, that can cause a backlog. Hire more people if you are about customer service.

kapache

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2016
    For $35 they should include a box of ammo and 30 min range time. That's a ripoff, comparatively.

For $35, I'd expect damn near instant turnaround. Multiples of competitive price should be reflected in something better, service wise.

That's nothing compare to California Extortion prices.

Top Bottom