• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flymuch

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    This question has been asked in one way or another, but i htought i would give the local (DFW area) folks a chance to chime in.

I am interested in shooting competitively and yes, i want the most versatile gun i can get. I want a "stock race car I can drive to work everyday". I have a gun for "home" use (HK P2000 in 40S&W) but I want something more versatile and competition oriented.

I live in the DFW area and Elm Fork is the most convenient to me but I will drive for good weekend competitions. I am trying to find out from those who shoot in the area what events are the most common (GSSF, IDPA, USPSA, IPSC, Steel Plate, etc.), where they are held, and what guns are the most commonly used? To further define, i want a gun that can be used in the most classes accross as many types of competitions as possible IN THE AREA.

Here are the ones I have come up with so far:
    - Glock 34 / 35
    - Glock 17 / 21 / 22
    - Springfield XD 9mm/.40 Tactical (5 in barrel)
    - STI Spartan (1911 .45)
    - Kimber Custom II
    - EAA Witness
    - CZ 75 / 85

I dont want a gun that needs tuning to make it work right and I dont want one that is quirky. I love the XD and the 1911. I like the Gen 4 Glocks much more than its predecessors and I really like the idea of the Glock 34/35 but i worry about the Gen 3 grips. The XD worries me as i cannot judge its following and support.

Please help me as I am not prepared to buy alot of guns to see which one i like. I have tried many of these guns or variants of them, so i know i am looking for fit and feel. What i dont want though is to get the fun that fits right, but no one uses it, knows anything about, and is hindered being used in a small handful of classes.

Thanks in advance,
    Scott
    Target Sports

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    The Glock 34/35 would best meet your requirements. Legal and competitive in the most divisions and types of competitions you listed. Lots of aftermarket parts to outfit them however you want but competitive out of the box for many different disciplines. The Glock 17/34 is the most popular gun in USPSA Production division and IDPA SSP.

Don't let not having a competition only gun deter you from going to a match right away. The H&K will work great for USPSA and IDPA to get started.

Map of practical pistol matches in Texas:
    Texas Ranges with Practical Pistol Matches - Google Maps

flymuch

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    What about......

What are the alternatives to Glock in the stock and production classes of IDPA and USPSA? Due to the cost of ammo and not being a reloader, 9mm seems the best route to take. The Glock 34 is interesting, and I REALLY like the XD. The M&P does not fit my hand at all, so what else are guys using?

robin303

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    Austin
    What are the alternatives to Glock in the stock and production classes of IDPA and USPSA? Due to the cost of ammo and not being a reloader, 9mm seems the best route to take. The Glock 34 is interesting, and I REALLY like the XD. The M&P does not fit my hand at all, so what else are guys using?

I use both the G17 and 19 in USPSA and of all things I do better with the 19. 9mm does OK in all steel matches.

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    There's a new CZ coming out with a short dustcover that should make weight for IDPA SSP out of the box. I know many people that love their CZ's and several others that tried them and ended up switching back.

Most popular pistols I see at USPSA matches in Production Division in order:
    1. Glock 17/34
    2. CZ SP-01
    3. M&P

For IDPA SSP Divsion
    1. Glock 17/34
    2. M&P

XD's are great and competitive with the rest in USPSA production. The only problem is they aren't legal for IDPA SSP division and will go in the ESP division. While that is supposed to be the 'enhanced' division, most of the matches I go to the best SSP times are better than the top ESP times due to the talent in those divisions. Which brings me to my main point, any of the guns listed are more than capable of winning a match, shooter skill is going to make the difference more than anything, so pick the gun you like and practice. I run a Beretta 92FS Vertec and when I started a lot of people told me I should try a Glock or something else. Instead I spent the money on practice ammo and dry fired almost every night and got to be very good. I haven't heard a negative comment about my Beretta in years now.

Only reason I listed the Glock above all else is you said in your original post you were interested in GSSF competition and Glock is your only option there.

icewolf73

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Irving, TX
    Elm Fork has competitions every 2 weeks. Wednesday nights we have either IDPA or USPSA. Check out dallaspistol.com. Thursdays have pistol/carbine matches, but they are not registered shoots. Check out texascombatshooters.com.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom