• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ragnar Danneskjold

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    Arlington, TX
    I've looked at the websites for a number ranges in the DFW area and all the ones I've seen so far are slow fire ranges, don't allow the use of holsters, and for the rifle ranges, don't allow FMJ ammo. I get why some ranges put the slow fire and holster rules in place to prevent unsafe idiots from hurting others. But as someone with extensive training and time spent as a firearms instructor, it's very hard to find a range I can actually do real training at. And of course with ammo pieces what they are, I'm not going to pay even higher range prices for hollow point or soft tip 5.56 rounds. I have thousands of rounds of regular FMJ 5.56 that I want to use.

So are there any decent DFW ranges that use something closer to big-boy rules and don't just force you to shoot like a Fudd or reckless amateur, while charging you up the rear for their ammo?
    Lynx Defense

dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    This is the private range my wife and I go to.

TDSA TDSA Home

350 for the year. Self policing. FMJ allowed. Drawing from holsters, rapid fire, you name it. Check it out. The 350 covers you and the spouse. If its just you it is 300. No more fees after that. You get a gate code and access 365 days anytime during the daylight.

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    Fusion. When I get home from overseas I will be going there with a buddy and anyone from here that wants to go. There are by reservation only and allow you to shoot and move.

I think judging from your location you may be in the same boat I am. While I would like to pay for a membership to a range, it is not worth it, as I am only home 3 to 3.5 months out of the year due to my work. So paying that much for a membership is out of the question. 300/year would be great if I was home all year, but not when it works out to 100/month.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    North Texas Shooter's Association in Denton allows any caliber up to and including .50BMG, ball ammo, and have a "Run and Gun" range for those wishing to practice tactical rifle, shotgun and pistol which explains why there is a long waiting list for membership.

dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    Fusion. When I get home from overseas I will be going there with a buddy and anyone from here that wants to go. There are by reservation only and allow you to shoot and move.

I think judging from your location you may be in the same boat I am. While I would like to pay for a membership to a range, it is not worth it, as I am only home 3 to 3.5 months out of the year due to my work. So paying that much for a membership is out of the question. 300/year would be great if I was home all year, but not when it works out to 100/month.

Yea, not a good option if you are only home for that amount of time.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I've looked at the websites for a number ranges in the DFW area and all the ones I've seen so far are slow fire ranges, don't allow the use of holsters, and for the rifle ranges, don't allow FMJ ammo. I get why some ranges put the slow fire and holster rules in place to prevent unsafe idiots from hurting others. But as someone with extensive training and time spent as a firearms instructor, it's very hard to find a range I can actually do real training at. And of course with ammo pieces what they are, I'm not going to pay even higher range prices for hollow point or soft tip 5.56 rounds. I have thousands of rounds of regular FMJ 5.56 that I want to use.

So are there any decent DFW ranges that use something closer to big-boy rules and don't just force you to shoot like a Fudd or reckless amateur, while charging you up the rear for their ammo?

Both Shoot Smart locations have private suites you can rapid fire and holster work from.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    It is a bit out of your way, but Blackhawk Range in Atascosa is pretty wide open.

I'd go there more often if it was not far so away.

For an out of towner, get a cheap hotel, hit the range, then enjoy yourself on the river walk.

Just remember that bad things happen to good people after dark in DOSA.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    This is the private range my wife and I go to.

TDSA TDSA Home

350 for the year. Self policing. FMJ allowed. Drawing from holsters, rapid fire, you name it. Check it out. The 350 covers you and the spouse. If its just you it is 300. No more fees after that. You get a gate code and access 365 days anytime during the daylight.
    TDSA sounds like a pretty cool range. It says you're allowed a one-time free visit as a guest. PM me the next time you're going Dusty, if you wouldn't mind. I'd like to check it out.

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    It's only a 20 or 25 yard range but DFW Gun Range on Mockingbird in the heart of Dallas lets you do all the things you're asking as long as you're not unsafe about it.

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    I'm glad to hear that. I have good memories of that place.

Yeah, they opened back up at the beginning of the year and I've already been shooting there a couple of times. Very nice, spacious facility now. Really dig the new showroom.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Yeah, they opened back up at the beginning of the year and I've already been shooting there a couple of times. Very nice, spacious facility now. Really dig the new showroom.
    Back in 2001, I took a clerk from our Chicago office to that range. The first firearm she ever held was the MP5 we rented. I think the grin was plastered on her face for a week. ;)

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    They don't have the MP5, anymore :/ If they did, I'd probably be renting it a bunch still. One of the best subguns that I've had the pleasure of shooting. IIRC, they're down to only four full-auto weapons, a Thompson and M3 Grease Gun in .45ACP, and an Uzi and Sterling 9mm.

Top Bottom