Lynx Defense

DFW Shooters, Where do you like to Shoot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xaiver56

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    Hey guys and gals. I have lived in Dallas for the past 4 years and have been shooting at Target Masters in Garland. I really enjoy the place, even though it is a bit run down (they have been making improvements) the people their are great. I am about to move to the Mansfield/Grand Prairie area and with some searches and such I am thinking I will probably end up shooting at Alpine Range, I am planning to get out there in about three weeks.

So where do other DFWers like to shoot?
    Texas SOT

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    Garland Public Shooting Range

Bass Pro Shops

I used to shoot at Elm Fork prior to the flood/reconstruction ... haven't been there in a while

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I've shot at Elm Fork and even with the construction, it's not bad. Some of the parts of the range are open. But it's been a while since I've been there.

Been going to Quail Creek the last couple months. It's a lot closer for me and during the week it's great. Someone Friday told me how busy it is on the weekends. I'll stick with week days. :D

Elm Fork has no rapid fire rule but it's lax. Quail Creek will jump on it pretty quick. You push the 2 second rule too much and they'll say something to the range. The RO at Elm Fork is usually shooting also, and he'll be emptying mag's in 3-4 seconds. :D

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Garland public range for outdoors
    Bullet Trap for indoors

I go to the Garland range more often, as it is a little close to home. Plus, I usually go with a buddy or two that likes shooting at Garland.

midnightrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    As a matter of fact, i'm goin there tonight. Can you rent guns to shoot there or do you have to bring your own? I'm wantin to try a pistol probably in either .38spl or 9mm to see how i like it, then possibly buy (but not tonight).

No, Basspro doesn't rent, you'll have to bring your own I afraid. The ammo is expensive also, I usually stockup on 45 ACP range ammo at Wally World.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    As a matter of fact, i'm goin there tonight. Can you rent guns to shoot there or do you have to bring your own? I'm wantin to try a pistol probably in either .38spl or 9mm to see how i like it, then possibly buy (but not tonight).

Go to the Bullet Trap in Plano if you want to rent a gun, they have a bunch. There may be other places you can rent pistols, but first-hand, I only know of the Bullet Trap.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    No, Basspro doesn't rent, you'll have to bring your own I afraid. The ammo is expensive also, I usually stockup on 45 ACP range ammo at Wally World.

The average standalone range has far more expensive ammo prices than Bass Pro. They don't beat wally world, but they are typically competitive with other sporting goods stores.

byronw999

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Grand Prairie, Texas USA!
    If yer gonna shoot at Alpine go during the week... To many retards that shouldnt even own a gun out there on weekends... They also allow no FMJ rifle...
    I shoot at the Arlington Sportsmans club.. Our range is located in Mansfield..Great place to shoot.. Costs $75 per year and $10 more for a spouse.. They did just go up on the initiation fee tho... Believe its around $300 to join..

Plenty of skeet, trap and sporting clays.. Also pistol and rifle ranges.. Organized BP, Cowboy Action, shotgun steel etc..

Here's a link: http://www.arlingtonsportsman.com/

Hey guys and gals. I have lived in Dallas for the past 4 years and have been shooting at Target Masters in Garland. I really enjoy the place, even though it is a bit run down (they have been making improvements) the people their are great. I am about to move to the Mansfield/Grand Prairie area and with some searches and such I am thinking I will probably end up shooting at Alpine Range, I am planning to get out there in about three weeks.

So where do other DFWers like to shoot?

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Targetmaster in Garland rents firearms but their selection isn't as good as the Bullet Trap.

malladus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Houston-Dallas
    I got a range card for out there. Been a few times when we were up visiting my inlaws prior to relocating to Dallas. Last time I went, they don't allow FMJ for rifles.

They have a small shotgun area, rifle to 100 yards and pistols to 25 I think. The pistol line features individual stalls with a brass catching screen trap set-up.

THe times I went the folks on the rifle line were okay, the prohibition on FMJ sort of keeps the ghetto crowd down on that line. The pistol line is a differient story though depending on when I went during the week or weekend. Out there once and the pistol line was nice, two other times it was sort of like a reality show in how not to handle guns. Fondest two memories are the gang bangers with they shiney pistols (all were chromed) firing two stalls down from me. There targets were at 5 yards, mine at 20 and their rounds were hitting at 15 in front of my target. Second one was some college age guys with their women. Teaching them to shoot. Girl has a loaded glock in her hand and her phone rings. So she puts it under her arm and walks around behind the line talking on her phone until it dropped. We left after that.

Like any public range, you get a good crowd and a bad crowd depending on the day.

The overall range facilities are decent, the building itself floods so its got a nice moldy smell going or did. The have a small shop with some ammo, weapons, and accessories for sale. They do offer a CHL class as well on occasssion, or did. The staff is okay to indifferient unless you show up with alot of black rifles, then expect to get questioned and maybe probd to make sure you don't have any FMJ on or in you.

My last visit was about a year ago, so things could have changed in that time.

Malladus

Floyd_Droid

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Shady Shores, TX
    I have 2 words that will sound VERY appealing in this heat.

AIR CONDITIONING

DFW Gun Range off Mockingbird is air conditioned, most aren't (not even the Bullet Trap). I figure if your gonna shell out the money to shoot and for ammo, might as well be comfortable and out of the heat. BTW they also have a good selection in rentals.

TheStig

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    I've been goin' out to Ralph's Range in Tom Bean last several range outings. Kinda small but it's a private range. I've yet to run into any questionable characters and I like that it is pretty laid back. Tannerite friendly too

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    I've been goin' out to Ralph's Range in Tom Bean last several range outings. Kinda small but it's a private range. I've yet to run into any questionable characters and I like that it is pretty laid back. Tannerite friendly too

That's because questionable characters can't read maps to even know where Tom Bean,Tx is! My Grandmother was born there.
    If I shoot indoors I go to the Shooting Place in Burleson,it is small but with A/C,I think they have some guns that you can rent but you have to buy ammo from them to shoot them. Outdoors,Alpine or at a friends farm near me.

Top Bottom