• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    My husband is considering a position in Dallas so we're browsing areas on the west/northwest side of Dallas, maybe towards FW. We're looking to buy a house (I do have specifics if you need em, ask).

What counties/areas do I really want to avoid?
    DK Firearms

Kerbouchard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2008
    Dallas
    What kind of price range? My wife and I live in Lewisville/Highland Village, and we love it. Nice neighborhoods, great parks, Lake Lewisville less than a 5 minute drive and shooting ranges fairly close by.

I probably would not go north of the Lewisville bridge due to traffic. I would try to stay west of I-35 because the neighorhoods seem to be nicer. I would also try to stay North of Main St.

It really depends on your price range, but it is definitely a buyers market out there. Good luck on your move!

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Range $1-180k. We'd like 3+BR, 2.5+ bath ~1500sqft+. I would like a yard (have 90lb Labrador), workshop (I do leatherwork), 2+ car garage w/flat driveway! (2 vehicles + 2 bikes).

I'm the I-want-room-non-suburban type, but DH isthe opposite so somewhere in the middle This won't be our last house, or 'the dream house' so it won't be perfect. But it's got to work for us.

We've browsed realtor.com and there is some nice stuff available in our range. Our concern (just looking online) is the condition some of these houses would be in, especially foreclosed places. Many 'entitled' Americans are not above trashing the home as they vacate, which is a real shame.

Kerbouchard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2008
    Dallas
    About a year and a half ago, we paid 155K for a 3BR, 2 bath, 1970 sqft home with a 2 car garage, slanted drive way on the end of a culdesac with a large fenced in yard and a landscaped front yard.

If I were you, I would look in the Highland Village or Lewisville area off of FM 407/Garden Ridge

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I'd agree with kerbouchard. And price range will make the difference. Real Estate isn't dead everywhere. There's a bunch of homes for sale in this area and there are good buyers in all price ranges. Out here, $600k+ homes can and do sell in a week or a $200k home can sit for 45+ days. Depends on where you are looking and you've got a lot of choices. Flower Mound may for the most part be on the higher priced end but there's a lot of home sales activity as well.

If you want closer to Ft Worth there are some pretty markets. Also look in the I35W corridor where there are a lot new building going on too. Or in the area south to southwest of Grapevine like Keller, Northlake, Southlake, Colleyville and other areas closer to Fort Worth and up and down the I35 W corridor. Location of where his job will be will make a huge difference also. You can have a 20 minute commute or 2 hour commute and each one can be doubled on any given day depending on who knows what. Communting in the DFW area can really suck.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Those are up in Denton County right? What kind of vehicle inspection/registration rigors are in place?

JKTex, commute will be a big factor (located in Irving IIRC). Since '03 DH has only had a 10min drive to work.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Those are up in Denton County right? What kind of vehicle inspection/registration rigors are in place?

JKTex, commute will be a big factor (located in Irving IIRC). Since '03 DH has only had a 10min drive to work.

Hmm, yes it's Denton County, at least the Lewisville/Flower Mound/Highland Vilage area is. Once you get to the other side of Grapevine lake to Grapevine, and the other town's and cities I menitoned, you're in Tarant County.

Since it's Irving, Grapevine isn't bad, but also some areas of Irving plus the other ones I menitoned. But also further east like Coppel (which borders Irving but may be priced out, plus taxes suck) or Farmers Branch, Carrollton. Price ranges will be all over the place and I think, in the range you're looking for, I'm not sure about the areas in Irving. But there are lots of choices.

If you want more rurlal, up towards Denton on the west side close to Argyle (land can be pricy) or Lantanta too.

Oh, the auto reg/inspection thing. I don't think it's any big deal. We just did the registration on both our cars and I think the MB was about $70 and the Excursion was about $90. Inspection is cheap for the Excursion (diesel) at $20 or less I think, but gas cars are more because of the emissions testing. I don't think we've kept a car long enough to have an inspection done in a few years. The '08 MB we've had for about a year but is being replaced as soon as the '09 comes in, which it should have been a couple weeks ago, and the inspections are 2 year so we don't have to reinspect. I think it's $50-$70 though.

Kerbouchard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2008
    Dallas
    For a commute to Irving I would definitely not look at the Fort Worth area, and I would definitely stay south of the Lake Lewisville bridge. It seems like Denton County is your best bet for price and what you want.

I would probably stay away from foreclosures, but there are some 'for sale by owners' which should be in good shape, and you should be able to swing a good deal out of it.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Good info guys.

JKTex, that sound about par for vehicles here in Nueces Co. I use to pay $12 or $15 for inspection and then about $75 for my '94 Chevy K1500. This time I have an '06 Ram diesel so I was curious about the emissions and such ("...no sir, its all stock..." ) I remembered Collin Co did emissions on my husband's car and the cost of that sorta chapped me.

Taxes will be on the radar. We don't have kids so none are needing a school district. But the area is a consideration in regards to future selling.

Kerbouchard, I think that's sound advice to steer away from foreclosures. I certainly don't need someone else's problem, we have enough of our own! I also have developed a lack of faith in my fellow citizen and think an angry or upset former owner would come back to vandalize. Again, small possibilities but why swim with the sharks if it isn't necessary?

If you want more rurlal, up towards Denton on the west side close to Argyle (land can be pricy) or Lantanta too.

I did see a few interesting prospects that would be fun to own but the cost per acre was just too much. I don't think land is in the plans right now, but who knows if something will fall in our laps.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Good info guys.

JKTex, that sound about par for vehicles here in Nueces Co. I use to pay $12 or $15 for inspection and then about $75 for my '94 Chevy K1500. This time I have an '06 Ram diesel so I was curious about the emissions and such ("...no sir, its all stock..." ) I remembered Collin Co did emissions on my husband's car and the cost of that sorta chapped me.

Ya, the emmision test is the costly part. Another good reason for the black smoke. They check the headlights and horn and give you a sticker. I don't even have to remove the tune and put it back to stock.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Ya, the emmision test is the costly part. Another good reason for the black smoke. They check the headlights and horn and give you a sticker. I don't even have to remove the tune and put it back to stock.

BTW what are diesel prices up around DFW now? Around here they're sitting at $1.95-$1.99

Offhand, I found some very neat places up by Lewisville Lake. They'll be too far out for what DH wants to drive. But its nice to know they're there!

Morgan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    DFW
    I have to agree with the Lewisville/Coppell area. I believe you're better off in Denton County than the other 2. I live in Lewisville just north of 3040 on the Flower Mound border, and work in Coppell, right on the Irving border. Depending on where you live and when you will commute there are some terrific options and 121 will be fully operational in the relatively near future.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Good suggestions everyone. We've found some interesting areas and houses available in our range. Now it will be a matter of looking and finding the right place for us asnd work out the details.

Oh, I guess I should say, DH got an offer and after discussing it, we accepted. See yall DFWers soon!

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    BTW what are diesel prices up around DFW now? Around here they're sitting at $1.95-$1.99

Offhand, I found some very neat places up by Lewisville Lake. They'll be too far out for what DH wants to drive. But its nice to know they're there!

I'm still paying over $2. It's come down as low as $2.07 which I love because I can fill up for less than $100 again for the first time in a loooong time!

Depending on where around the lake, it's not that bad to Irving, depending on where in Irving. If it's north Irving or near the Airport, it's not bad at all. But 30 a minute commute here considered sweet!!

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I have to agree with the Lewisville/Coppell area. I believe you're better off in Denton County than the other 2. I live in Lewisville just north of 3040 on the Flower Mound border, and work in Coppell, right on the Irving border. Depending on where you live and when you will commute there are some terrific options and 121 will be fully operational in the relatively near future.

True, but jst in time for the major redo of the whole 114/121/2499 area which is said to be a 5 year project, which is short considering the massive amount of work that will be done.

Oh and the 635 revamp with the tunnel and elevated lanes from Irving to the Galleria area.

Hey, but in 10-15 years it'll be sweet if we can close the east, north and west borders! The work itself will overwhelm the southern border so we'll have that to deal with anyway.

Stimulation at it's best!

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    There is no place you can live that won't be affected by traffic, be it construction related or just inadequate roads, so I wouldn't let that get in the way. Look around the Frisco area. That's booming. Also if you want to go a little west of there Little Elm is real "country" but nice houses in all price ranges.

We live in Keller (Just NE of Fort Worth) and love it. But that might not fit with the commute to work in Dallas.

Best of luck. You are shopping at the right time as long as you can qualify for a mortgage you'll get a good deal.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    There is no place you can live that won't be affected by traffic, be it construction related or just inadequate roads, so I wouldn't let that get in the way. Look around the Frisco area. That's booming. Also if you want to go a little west of there Little Elm is real "country" but nice houses in all price ranges.

We live in Keller (Just NE of Fort Worth) and love it. But that might not fit with the commute to work in Dallas.

Best of luck. You are shopping at the right time as long as you can qualify for a mortgage you'll get a good deal.

Keller is one of the places I mentioned. Since the commute will be to Irving, tat wouldn't be too bad. Well, except that it might include 114 and the whole disaster near the airport that's about to get the major overhaul. That might change things dramatically.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    The job is located at the western edge of Irving, SW of DFW.

Mortgage should be no problem. Since we're military, we've got the VA loan on tap.

We saw some nice things around Keller. Lots of houses available in fact. Decisions decisions. We'll be up there next week in our rental room hotel to start looking and getting familiar with the ins and outs of the area.

If you see a young couple and a goofy black Lab in a Dodge truck, that'd be us. Point us somewhere good!

Top Bottom