• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fighta1337

US NAVY
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    west side of 20 Fort Worth
    so im trying to do my own 1911 build and im needing 1911 parts preferably series 70 type . basically im hoping to have a box full of parts for cheap so i wont kill myself after i screw 1 or 2 things up lol. Let me know if any one has any extra parts lyin around that they r lookin to get rid of, thanks guys
    DK Firearms

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Fight'a... pick up a copy of SGN (shot gun news) at the local walmart.. serious here, you'll find more site's that have part cheap.. From barstow barrels to bowmar sites..

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    Sarco is a good spot for a bargainish build but there seem to be quite a bit of tools special to a 1911 build too though...

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Sarco is a good spot for a bargainish build but there seem to be quite a bit of tools special to a 1911 build too though...

That shows me i haven't built enough then cause i really thought the normal gun stuff.. drifts, and small screwdrivers would do

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    First get the Kuhnhausen manuels on the 1911. Then study them, especially the relationship of the fire controls, hammer sear, disco, sear spring and thumb safety. Next study the way the barrel operates.

Yes you can build a shooting 1911 with a few non specialized tools but, and a big but, will it be accurate and reliable? Most parts require fitting for best performance. Sure, there are drop in goodies out their but they are not going to give the accuracy and reliability of properly fitted parts.

Screwdriver for grip screws okay
    Bushing driver for grip screw bushings is a special bit
    Lug cutter for cutting lower lugs on the barrel to fit the slide stop pin
    various files
    various stones
    various abrasives
    lapping compound
    files for upper barrel lugs
    sear jig

Those are ones that come to mind almost reflexively.

For the Bob Rodgers roll your own class, his required tool list for students runs about $400.00 and he furnishes some things there. It takes 6 days at 10 hours a day to build one in Bob's class. But when you are done, you have one to be proud of. On that will stand on its own merits.

Building a 1911 is a lot harder than building an AK or AR15.

Good luck.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom