• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • henryfrank

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    Hi all,

I have been having tons and tons of headaches with my .308 Remington 700 AAC-SD that I purchased recently. It won't hold any groups smaller than 2-3" with Federal Gold Medal Match even with a bedded stock, great scope, and me doing my part.

Is there a gunsmith near Houston who would be able to at least diagnose the rifle for a reasonable price (college student who only scraped this gun together after many many months of saving :( )? The gun is still under warranty and I would rather send to Remington, but I need to know what's wrong with it first.

Please advise somebody and estimate how much it would cost.

Thank you!
    Capitol Armory ad

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    Have you checked how the scope mount is fastened? Check the areas the mount connects to the rifle at, as well as the scope.

It's entirely possible that your scope is what is all screwed up.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    what twist is the barrel and what was the grain of the Monarch bullets verses the Federal ?

Also, do you know anyone with a trigger pull gauge who can check your trigger pull weight?

henryfrank

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    The twist is 1 in 10 so it should be much better with the heavier bullets. Monarch was 145 gr. and Federal were 168 and 175. If you click the link to the album on reddit, I took pictures of everything I used and the groups I was getting.

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    So my first question is, how proficient are you as a shooter?
    Do you have extensive experience with bolt guns?
    What position were you shooting from and were you using any of the following: sling? bipod? mount? rear bag?
    Did you check your equipment and make sure the scope is correctly mounted, the rings are properly torqued, and the rail is mounted properly?
    You say you bedded your stock, what did you use and have you done this before?
    Is everything else on the rifle stock?
    Has anyone else (who is proficient with a bolt gun) shot this rifle as it sits?
    What were the conditions you were shooting in?

Video of you shooting would help greatly. I am assuming the rifle has been zeroed. 2-3" groups are quite large, so there is definitely room for improvement. You may want to post this on sniper's hide as well. The amount of knowledge there is astounding. You can also post this in the regional sub-forum on sh and see if you can meet up with someone local to go to the range ans see if they can help you out.

Last edited:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I think you need to go back to the lighter bullets and start from there. Also not sure if you did any sort of barrel break in or not.

Not busting your chops but fundamentals like breathing control can really effect your group sizes

henryfrank

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    I understand that you think it's me, but I can assure you, I am not the only one who did this. I group pretty well with other firearms and have grouped well with this gun with the Monarch ammo.

Can one of you please suggest a good gunsmith who specializes with precision in Houston who has reasonable prices?

ArmyZach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Joshua
    Eliminate variables.
    Is the barrel really floated?
    A rub point between the stock and the barrel can cause hell with consistency.
    I agree with Koinonia, scope mount is also a likely culprit.
    I posted without reading your reddit post - I'll read it now.

ArmyZach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Joshua
    Check the barrel - slide a dollar or business card between the barrel and stock all the way down to the action.

Green-Harley

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 4, 2013
    I had a similar problem with my T/C Encore. I pulled the Weaver rail and retorqued it and it's perfect now, I had over torqued the rail initially. Went from 4" group to 1". What area are you in?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

henryfrank

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    I am sure the barrel is free floated. Also, I am in the downtown Houston area near the medical center. I don't see how the rail torque matters though. :/

Green-Harley

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 4, 2013
    I don't either, I read it in an article on scope mounting, but it worked for me. I had tried several different scopes first, but that's what worked. Who installed the mount and rings, and do you know if they used a torque driver?

PhulesAu

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Texas, Mostly
    Torque values make a lot of difference. Especially with the thin sections of mounting rails. There is also the possibility you might need to bed, the scope mounts. You also might want to recheck the screws that hold the action, they might need to be " Adjusted" while at the range. The sweet spot, might not be the manufacturers recommendation.

Green-Harley

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 4, 2013
    My last one I just snugged up after each shot per my dad's instructions, I didn't have my torque driver at the time. I just touched it after almost every shot during break-in. The store I bought it from installed the scope for me when I bought it. It's been sub MOA with anything I feed it since.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    If You get sub moa groups with one ammo and not others, look at the ammo. Bullet weight, shape, vellocity all make a difference. Also, the ogival angle and weight distribution of projectile. You may need to try reloading different bullets, powders and charges to maximize accuracy. Guns these days are made for a greater range of ammo, some of them though get very picky about what they want.

from a non-recovering coffeeholic

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    I am sure the barrel is free floated. Also, I am in the downtown Houston area near the medical center. I don't see how the rail torque matters though. :/
    Henry, you stated in the OP the stock is "bedded" but in this post you say your rifle's barrel is "free-floated". Which is it because I have suggestions for either situation?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Henry, you stated in the OP the stock is "bedded" but in this post you say your rifle's barrel is "free-floated". Which is it because I have suggestions for either situation?

Umm, it's probably both. Bedded action and free float barrel is pretty much the standard for accuracy.

Top Bottom