Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The article is pretty lousy. To be sure, there's obfuscation - bringing up the dismissed murder charges against Venola, for example. That's to be expected from the NY Times. The biggest problem with the article, though, is that it misses THE fundamental problem with the Metcalf column. That column (which I hope everybody here has read) accepted the gun-banner's revisionist and wholly inaccurate re-definition of the term "well-regulated" in the 2nd Amendment. His column treated "well-regulated" as equivalent to "limited by written rules", a mistake that no one who's been involved with guns for as long as Metcalf should *ever* make.

When I read his column, I had to (figuratively) pick my jaw up off the floor. Dick simply doesn't get it. Maybe he never did or maybe, somewhere along the line, he somehow forgot it.

Whatever the process by which he lost touch with the truth, we're better off without him.

Calbear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2013
    Austin
    The article is pretty lousy. To be sure, there's obfuscation - bringing up the dismissed murder charges against Venola, for example. That's to be expected from the NY Times. The biggest problem with the article, though, is that it misses THE fundamental problem with the Metcalf column. That column (which I hope everybody here has read) accepted the gun-banner's revisionist and wholly inaccurate re-definition of the term "well-regulated" in the 2nd Amendment. His column treated "well-regulated" as equivalent to "limited by written rules", a mistake that no one who's been involved with guns for as long as Metcalf should *ever* make.

When I read his column, I had to (figuratively) pick my jaw up off the floor. Dick simply doesn't get it. Maybe he never did or maybe, somewhere along the line, he somehow forgot it.

Whatever the process by which he lost touch with the truth, we're better off without him.
    Agreed. You instantly lose all credibility as a gun rights supporter when you start citing the words "well regulated" in the second amendment as carte blanche for government regulations limiting gun ownership. It shows that you are just as foolish as the worst political offenders.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013

that's what I don't get. I felt pretty betrayed by him but was I really? Did he ever fully support the 2A in the first place?
    I just assumed he did but boy was I wrong.

good riddance...dick

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Know him personally. Rich little boy from a rich little family, like mafia with guns. Grade A asshole.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    He says he is still contemplating how a self-described “Second Amendment fundamentalist” who keeps a .38 snub-nose Smith & Wesson revolver within easy reach has been ostracized from his community.

1.) Because he's not.
    2.) Because he's a dumbass. This is like a NAMBLA advocate failing to understand why he's been banned from the Boy Scouts.

"No one should be protected from the effects of his own stupidity." Good to see Metcalf got what he deserved. Too bad he's too stupid to figure out why.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    The fact that they cite someone having a CHL, carrying a gun or hunting as evidence of 2A support shows they're clueless.

Those are givens, by products, of a society where citizens never abdicated their own individual right to serve as a check and balance to the military controlled by the Federal and State governments.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    1.) Because he's not.
    2.) Because he's a dumbass. This is like a NAMBLA advocate failing to understand why he's been banned from the Boy Scouts.

"No one should be protected from the effects of his own stupidity." Good to see Metcalf got what he deserved. Too bad he's too stupid to figure out why.

Lol, his statement is almost as dumb as the "democrats for life" and "save the human babies" bumper sticker I saw yesterday.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Hard to believe he's getting any press so he can continue to whine about how he was misunderstood and mistreated. No, we totally understood what he meant and that's why the magazine had to dump his sorry ass.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I read a Liberal anti gun article on Yahoo that quoted Metcalf. Lest you think that people like him don't harm all of us, that author was making some Liberal trash talk with Metcalf as his speaking points.

Metcalf should have been fired. It was the right thing to do. One can NOT ride the middle of the fence on these Second Amendment issues. If you aren't WITH us, then you're against us.

The friend of my enemy is my enemy..

Flash

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Know him personally. Rich little boy from a rich little family, like mafia with guns. Grade A asshole.

He strikes me as a Fudd. His byline picture was him holding a 1911 (wrong) and the NYT article talks about his room full of deer heads and how he's always got a snub-nosed .38 handy.

Easy CZ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2013
    Oklahoma, aka North Texas
    Metcalf is a senile Douchy McDouchebag. I have no use for him or his opinions on gun laws. He's a worthless gun control collaborator and he can go F himself.

Besides, he's a DICK.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom