• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Alright so i drive a 2500 diesel and I started looking at these tires I just got an hour ago and realized the starting letter is different, my old tire are LT265/7017r these start with a P.

I called the shop and told them that they don't match my old tires labeling like I was told and they said they are fine but I don't know.

Tire says "standard load" where my others said "e". These tires say E4 in a circle but google says that's for European stuff.

I didn't know anything about tires going into this, but I may have been had.
    ARJ Defense ad

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Whatd ya pay?

Whered ya get em?

You went from a Light-Truck tire which will have a signifigant "load" rating and lots of belt layers to achieve that, to a P-Metric radial which is a car tire like what you might put on your Suburban or Armada. Im not even sure a P-Metric has a load rating. It dang sure doesnt have the belts that your wanting for a truck that size.

Sounds to me like the tire folks dropped the ball and simply didnt put back on there what was there was originally.

EDIT: ...and a 2500 DEFINITELY needs a LT Load Rated tire on it.

10 bucks says this didnt happen at Discount.

Last edited:

jjkukla

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Richwood
    Per Tire Rack:
    "What's the difference between the tire sizes of P225/60R16 and 225/60R16? The obvious answer is the "P" in front of the first size, but just what does the "P" stand for and what does it tell us about the tires? P-metric sized tires are the ones with the "P" at the beginning of the tire size, (such as P225/60R16 listed above). They were introduced in the United States in the late 70s..."

And it goes on. Lotsa FAQ on their site. Good luck!

Ref.
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=24

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    New tires will be on Friday, if not you'll be updated.

I came into this not knowing about tires my dumba$$ knows now unfortunately. My backs out so I wasn't worried about checking the sidewall while I was there(stupid I know) felt like it was sliding around when I'd turn but when I got home the tires are hard as a rock and was labeled as above. I called thshop and said it was wrong, they told me it's the right tire so I called a 30+ year old shop I used to Frequent and I was right all along.

Told them to out my old tires back on Friday or order the right tire so it'll be there by then.

It was a bit of a inconvenience and potentially could have been bad but it's supposed to be taken care of.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Whatd ya pay?

Whered ya get em?

You went from a Light-Truck tire which will have a signifigant "load" rating and lots of belt layers to achieve that, to a P-Metric radial which is a car tire like what you might put on your Suburban or Armada. Im not even sure a P-Metric has a load rating. It dang sure doesnt have the belts that your wanting for a truck that size.

Sounds to me like the tire folks dropped the ball and simply didnt put back on there what was there was originally.

EDIT: ...and a 2500 DEFINITELY needs a LT Load Rated tire on it.

10 bucks says this didnt happen at Discount.
    Not going to say where as I'm not convinced it was an accident, It was not a chain store however.

They claim that they thought they put on the correct tire.

Don't get me started on discount tire.

Sad part is all I wanted to do when I left home this morning was to get my truck inspected.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    LT have stronger sidewall,p rated won't work. Make an issue of it, P allows rollovers for trucks.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I've been driving 3/4 tom trucks for many years. Most tire places won't even let you put "P" series tires on a 3/4 ton vehicle if you want to (I know a guy who prefers them because he doesn't drive fast, never hauls/tows anything, and likes the softer ride...but the tires wear faster. Either they are woefully ignorant, or they thought you were...

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    I've been driving 3/4 tom trucks for many years. Most tire places won't even let you put "P" series tires on a 3/4 ton vehicle if you want to (I know a guy who prefers them because he doesn't drive fast, never hauls/tows anything, and likes the softer ride...but the tires wear faster. Either they are woefully ignorant, or they thought you were...
    Unfortunately......this^^^^^

Glad you looked into it further.

Reactions: AKM

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    I feel like it's really my fault for not doing any real research before hand. They did tell me they were "E" rated 10 ply 3-4 times however.

I got 4 toyos mounted/balanced OTD for 750. A guy got them and within a week decided he wanted bigger tires. So it was a good deal but not too good to be true being "used"(still has the vent spews) another shop said $880otd.

Granted there is an E on the tire, but it's not in the right location to be the rating(found that out too late).

I will say they are quiet for a AT tire.

Top Bottom