Join TexasGunTalk

Did my first skeet shoot

Discussion in 'Texas Gun Ranges' started by unicom, Aug 23, 2019.

1. unicom

unicom Active Member

May 19, 2016
    As the title says, I did my first skeet shoot yesterday. Technically it’s my second time if you count a few warmup shots before my first dove hunt last year. It was AWESOME! Shoulder hates me this morning but so worth it. I scored a 50. I was happy with my score. My next gun just might be a shotgun for skeet shooting/bird hunting. Just not sure if I want an over under or semi auto. Might even look at a side by side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TxStetson likes this.
  2. TxStetson

TxStetson Usually Here TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

Visit a few gun stores, pickup as many shotguns as possible and hold them to your shoulder. See how they feel and how easy they track. O/U’s are good for such things because you have have different chokes in each barrel, and then flip which barrel shoots first. Auto loaders typically have less recoil, but you can only use 1 choke at a time. I’ve been usin a Beretta A400 shotgun, and you can go through a couple hundred rounds and not be stiff or sore the next day. I am in the process of purchasing a FabArm RS12 for sporting clays. I really enjoy shooting that gun, and my scores definitely reflect it.

3. Dad_Roman

Dad_Roman TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Here, here.

Boolay <said in my best English Parlimentarian voice>

Charlie, ZX9RCAM and TxStetson like this.
  4. birddog

birddog bullshit meter

Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Next time you go hit the clays course. Not only is it gobs of fun, but you’ll up your bird hunting game tremendously.

deemus likes this.
  5. unicom

unicom Active Member

May 19, 2016
    Thanks for they advice. I will as the Beretta A400 to my list of guns to look at as well as a Fabarm RS12. Thanks to everyone else for your help and encouragement in my new found addiction that has been added to my existing ones.

6. SQLGeek

SQLGeek Vodak, The Choice of a New Generation TGT Supporter

Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    50 poor, defenseless skeets murdered.

Glad you had fun. I've shot it and trap a handful of times and enjoyed them both.

7. avvidclif

avvidclif Sturgis '95, RFTW 2010

Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Since a round of skeet is 25 what were you shooting? For skeet an O/U is about the best unless you like picking up hulls all the time. Be careful though it's addictive if you have any kind of competitive bone in your body. I gotta run a straight, just gotta. Then you gotta run 100 straight, then run 25 on all 4 gauges, then 100 on all 4. It's a lot of fun but an expensive hobby.

TxStetson likes this.
  8. unicom

unicom Active Member

May 19, 2016
    You know it. I straight up murdered them with extreme prejudice.

SQLGeek and TxStetson like this.
  9. TxStetson

TxStetson Usually Here TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

I am more into sporting clays myself. It’s a good mix of trap and skeet, plus a few darting doves and a rabbit or two thrown in for fun.

deemus likes this.
  10. unicom

unicom Active Member

May 19, 2016
    All I know was there were 12 different stations we shot from. Five pairs at each station. It was some kind of sponsored event. I was invited by Texas First Rental and happily said yes